• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blue screen.

GER22VAN

master brummie
Can anyone help please? I have had the computer CRASH ??? a number of times with what they refer to as " The screen of death "
I send in error reports, it tells me that the problem seems to be with WIN 32 K SYS .
I am not too clever with computers .

You probably need to reinstall Windows, WIN 32K SYS is a system file that is corrupted or missing so first try to install operating system if that does not work it could be a hard drive problem.

Mike. Thank you so much. May I ask how I reinstall Windows ?
Not knowing what I was doing, I went to control panel, System, then System Restore on C Drive.
After that I did not want to venture any further.

If you can get to System Restore all might be well, blue screen of death usually occurs at boot up as it fails to load your operating system.Try System restore as a first option.If you get the blue screen after the operating system has started its probably a program that windows does not like. If you have to reinstall windows use your system disc or restore CD and let comp boot up from CD/DVD drive and do a repair.

I am trying to get an answer from another post on backing up my data files before I reload my Windows hardware.

Hi Ernie,
I've only just come across this thread. Did you install any new program or attach any new hardware immediately before getting the blue screen as it might be that which is causing the problem. Have you tried doing a System Restore to a time before you started having the problem? Can you point me to the post about backing up data and I might be able to help you out there?

Hi Oisin, I can only think it could be my ext Hard Drive, unless of coarse it could be Skype ( which I have since reloaded ) or AVG ect.

Can you boot up in 'Safe Mode' which only loads the basic drivers. My son had a 'BSOD' recently and I sent him a method of repairing his system files without a Window's reinstall and it worked. I could post the text but the screen-shots I sent him would be too much to put on the forum.
oldmohawk:)

Ernie,
Before you do anything else does it run okay without the external drive connected?

Oisin. I unplugged the leads from my external hard drive. Then I got""Windows is shutting down" After 5 mins I shut off the power at the mains.Start up took 4 Mins.

I had the blue screen of death tried every thing in the end the only answer is to put the installation disc in but before you do that use a usb stick to save the thing you want to keep hope this helps

Mau-reece

re Blue Screen.

What Operating system are you running.

XP, Vista , or 7 ?.

The disk you have is a full or upgrade of windows ?

Our is you diskjust a recovery disk provide with your compter.

Ray

My only time of having a blue screen was due to faulty camera software. Once I'd got rid of that by doing a System Restore in Safe Mode then gassing what was left of the rough software all was as it should be again. So things might not be as black as we think. Just in case, on Ernie's other thread about backing up you will see he's already preparing to do a restore to factory settings.

I Have XP and a disc that came with the computer.
Only use this disc to reinstall software.

I hope that I am not confusing everyone as much as I am doing it to myself.

If it is only one or two Windows system files that have got corrupted there are quite easy methods of repairing only those files, and checking your HD for errors. When I reinstalled Windows last year in my 5 year old laptop, it installed ok but then had to download every security update Microsoft had issued since then.

Gert forget what every body is telling you your hard drive is corrupt and the only thing to do is to do what i said previously

Mau-reece

On my computers, to get safe mode I have to continually press the F8 key immediately after starting. If you can see the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop then the HD can be checked for errors and corruption. As Mossy says if you've got your data out of the computer then it is easy enough to reinstall Windows, but you just have to make sure you download all the Windows updates issued since you bought your copy.
oldmohawk:)

Back