• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bloomsbury Street

Don't know if these have been on before.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 26
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi there,

I had family who lived on Bloomsbury Street for a short while in the late 60's/early 70's - the name was Florence Matilda Dunkley and she lived at 24 Bloomsbury Street with her daughter and son-in-law Margaret and Leslie Thompson as well as her grandchildren Michael and Keith Thompson (Keith was my grandfather).

I just wondered if anyone lived there at about the same time and remembers them??

Thomas

The first newspaper reference I can find to Bloomsbury Place is December 1819 in the Birmingham Journal. Do we know when Bloomsbury Place and Street became one ? We know ‘Place’ existed from at least 1819 until at least 1839 (post #57). Viv.

Attachments

• B9F0ABAE-CF95-4E1F-9D38-B4BB9E66D9FF.jpeg
    B9F0ABAE-CF95-4E1F-9D38-B4BB9E66D9FF.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 3
It is shown as Bloomsbury Place on the John Tallis map dated 1851, but is Bloomsbury st on the Archibald Fullerton map dated 1866

Hi there,

I had family who lived on Bloomsbury Street for a short while in the late 60's/early 70's - the name was Florence Matilda Dunkley and she lived at 24 Bloomsbury Street with her daughter and son-in-law Margaret and Leslie Thompson as well as her grandchildren Michael and Keith Thompson (Keith was my grandfather).

I just wondered if anyone lived there at about the same time and remembers them??

Thomas

Hi Thomas

Your family must have lived in the new houses built over the Nechells Green end of Bloomsbury Street, as the original number 24 would have been just down from the Junction Inn on the same side of the road. I can never remember houses in that location from at least the early 50's. I remember it as an empty site, I suppose it's possible that it was bombed out during the war. The photo I'm attaching is taken from Great Francis Street looking across Bloomsbury Street to the opposite side of the street to where number 24 once stood.

Nechells Great-Francis-Street-17-12-1951-[1].jpg

On reading this thread again I notice that Dek was talking about all the books from Bloomsbury Library being moved across the road to the Community Centre. Does anybody know if this ever happened , I ask because I recently heard that the Community Centre is now privately owned. So if this is so and the books were relocated what has happened to the books?
I understand that the library now operates out of the POD in Oliver Street (I dont know what POD stands for). But i noticed today on passing the library on the bus that the scaffolding that had been there for God knows how long , appears to be gone !!!! I attach a Google street view pic (Oct 2018) which confirms this.132705

I understand that the library now operates out of the POD in Oliver Street (I dont know what POD stands for). But i noticed today on passing the library on the bus that the scaffolding that had been there for God knows how long , appears to be gone !!!! I attach a Google street view pic (Oct 2018) which confirms this.

On taking a look at Nechells POD in Oliver Street, going by the size of it and the other activities that take place there I cannot see how they get a fraction of the books once held by Bloomsbury library in there.

On taking a look at Nechells POD in Oliver Street, going by the size of it and the other activities that take place there I cannot see how they get a fraction of the books once held by Bloomsbury library in there.

Birmingham Council information Bloomsbury Library ........ Maybe they reduced the amount of books, perhaps there are not so many people in the area who are interested in reading !!

[URL="http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/5127/bloomsbury_library_at_the_pod[/URL]"]www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/5127/bloomsbury_library_at_the_pod[/URL]

Faced with having to reduce their expenditure and lack of space, libraries these days rely more on inter-library loan and the computerised catalogue now holds much more information as to what branches have copies and whether their copies are available or already out on loan. No, it is not ideal as it is far better to have the copy in your hand in the case of non-fiction and know that it contains the information that you want before asking the system to obtain a copy for you. But ordering times are much quicker because in most cases it is within your own library authority and should not take more than a couple of days.

Maurice

Back