• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bloomsbury Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
great name for a bookies...ray gambles...could anyone tell me what model of car is parked outside please...i am most likely wrong but it has the look of a zepher..

pic courtesy of carl chinn

lyn

Yes its is a Vauxhall Cresta. And what a superb specimen too!

Can we elucidate what are the tall buildings in the distant centre please?

Last edited:
For me that was the far end of Bloomsbury St right in the back ground is Newton Oils on the corner of Thimble Mill Lane. Dek

Lyn

John and I have discussed Ray Gamble before and both hold different opinions of the man himself. But the café a little further up the road was iconic of the times the photo was taken. If you were a teenager in Nechells at some time or other you would have used the El Greco Café.

Phil

phil..nice to know the pic is a talking point..do you know i really cant ever recall me using cafes..certainly not as a meeting place...although i did spend most of me free time at the rollar rink which played a big part of my teenage years so that may explain it..

lyn

hi all...just come accross a close up of the pic of ray gambles shop i posted at the beginning of the thread....

dont worry if you cant see the first one i posted as all previously posted pics will be visible asap...

pic courtesy of carl chinn...lyn

Hi Lyn,
Phil and me have discussed this photo previously, and as he used to go in the El Greco cafe, I jokingly asked him if that was he lounging outside, but no it wasn't.
Someone, somewhere will know if only they could see the photo, that's what I love about old photos, my mother used to go to the bull ring every day of the week,
and I am often scouring old pics on the off chance she may be in one of them, they are full of people, so someones mom and dad are in them.
Kindest regards to yourself and Steve.

morning john...dont need to tell you that i agree with you about old pics...one day someone will turn up and say hey...that me or me mom or dad....thats what i like about the pic of the raven pub i posted yesterday.... there is plenty of folk standing outside...by the way have you seen the video footage of the bull ring..taken in the 50s and 60s i think...

lyn

between 297 and 303 bloomsbury st...pretty sure i have not seen this one before...dated 1964

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Who remembers playing down the air- raid shelter on Bloomsbury St left hand side on the way to the Junction pub just before Heneage St. Dek

crikey richie...i didnt even notice that...this is spooky lol...think i will go through all the pics i can of that area and see if it appears again...could be the photographer owns the car...

lyn

My father recalls this bookie as Corrigans, so not sure which came first. He recalls one of the people running it died very young and only about 6 months starting there. I wonder if anyone knows who ran the local taxi/wedding service for this area as he used it a lot, only once for the wedding though, the taxi's in the 50's just look so classy.

Along this row of shops was Wrights, the chippie, and a small grocery shop run by Mr & Mrs Hen(n), the loan shop people had an account with mother at one stage, unknown to dad....after we left Nechells the guy was still coming to the new place, dad answered the door and did not know what he was doing calling, found out, paid him off and told him never to come again, those people did not want to lose customers, and there was no reason forus to use them anyway as dad had a good job!!!!

Hi, the earlier posts mentioned this car being on several photos, must have belonged to photographer, I spotted it on other posts, Vauxhall Cresta?

Not sure if I should post this here. It's Bloomsbury, Birmingham. Not heard of a Bloomsbury area in Birmingham before, but I presume it was near Bloomsbury Road.
Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384602594.922589.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384602594.922589.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 42
I have taken the liberty to tweak this a little in the hope of making road or shop signs a little easier to read. Now over to the experts.

Bloomsbury.jpg

Lovely pic. Does anyone know if that is a public house in the centre on the junction of two road. Any idea what it was called?

Viv

The in the centre of your photo the public house is The Turks Head, the road to the left is Bloomsbury St and to the right is Saltley Rd. The tower you can see behind the pub is the clock tower of Bloomsbury Library and building that has just been closed because a lack of funds to repair it.

Thanks Phil, I thought it was. My grandparents ran the Turks Head just after I was born so nice to see where I spent some of my time in my very early years.

A later photo of the same spot (more or less), I can tell you that the Turks Head opened in the mid 1800's and was bought by Ansell's in 1900 for £2,750 I would think that was quite a large sum then. It closed for demolition in February 1961 when it and that particular junction known as High or Hyde Park Corner was removed from the face of the earth.

Attachments

• Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    Nechells Turks Head.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 38
Back