• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blitz - Bishop Street, Deritend - 15/16th October 1940 - G.W. Inwood G.C.

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have recently pulled together some information on this terrible incident from the Birmingham Blitz. It involved acts of great heroism including that which earned George Walter Inwood, a member of Deritend Home Guard, a posthumous George Cross. My information includes a remarkable memoir written by the only survivor of this disaster some 63 years later. It is too long and complicated to post and so if anyone wishes to read it it is here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences87Deritend.htm

G.W. Inwood doesn't seem to have received much mention in the Forum apart from a brief reference to him in Aidan's Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham thread.

I wonder if any Forum members can provide additional information so that the record can be a bit more complete - about the incident itself or any of the men involved, especially images. Should be very pleased to hear it.

Chris

View attachment 69887
I have recently pulled together some information on this terrible incident from the Birmingham Blitz. It involved acts of great heroism including that which earned George Walter Inwood, a member of Deritend Home Guard, a posthumous George Cross. My information includes a remarkable memoir written by the only survivor of this disaster some 63 years later. It is too long and complicated to post and so if anyone wishes to read it it is here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences87Deritend.htm

G.W. Inwood doesn't seem to have received much mention in the Forum apart from a brief reference to him in Aidan's Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham thread.

I wonder if any Forum members can provide additional information so that the record can be a bit more complete - about the incident itself or any of the men involved, especially images. Should be very pleased to hear it.

Chris

I was asked to take a pic of the grave for a chap doing a new book about George Cross holders - Minimal raking was required. Very near Clay Lane - His story is well worth a re-read!

Is this the Bishop st that ran from Gooch st.

Just realised that it is

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Elizabeth. The slideshows are especially interesting.

Brian, can't remember if I have already asked you this, but would you have any objection if I included the image of George Walter Inwood's grave in my website page? If it's OK could you please let me have a higher definition version so that I can magnify the headstone part?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi chris - just heading out, but email me a reminder - same email as for Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries.
I'll email the pics back to you tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the images, Brian. I have now updated the web page.

(This Forum brings out some wonderful information and memories and we all expect much of it. But... it sometimes surprises me that with some 26000 members of this Forum, many more finding it via the search engines and all the power of Google etc., how rarely a personal memory of the family of a man such as this comes to the surface. Who was he, where did he live, what did he do for a living, what did he look like, what of his family? For the moment he remains just a name - but one which nevertheless we honour as best we can).

Chris

hi chris..ive just read the story of george inwood..along with others what a brave man he was...such a lot of fatalities as well and so many of them very young...i think sometimes we need a jolt like this just to remind us of all the unselfish acts that were performed during the war...we must never forget...

lyn

Back