• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blews Street

Houses 3, 4, and 5, in Court 3, Blews Street, and looks like some refurbishment work was in progress.
View attachment 136039

View from the other end of Court 3, Blews Street.
View attachment 136040
Hello these pictures are interesting, I'm trying to track down my great grandparents, George Simpson, possibly wife Mary who lived at 5 Blews Street, in 1926 (they had two sons, Alfred (my grandad and Jack Simpson who was the flyweight boxer in the 1940s and lived in Kingstanding with his wife Alice - any information anyone has or has family living in this area around that time would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

Hello these pictures are interesting, I'm trying to track down my great grandparents, George Simpson, possibly wife Mary who lived at 5 Blews Street, in 1926 (they had two sons, Alfred (my grandad and Jack Simpson who was the flyweight boxer in the 1940s and lived in Kingstanding with his wife Alice - any information anyone has or has family living in this area around that time would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Unfortunately I know nothing about Blews Street. I collected images from the Shoothill site who had hosted a collection of Birmingham Library images and showed them using the 'Deep Zoom' software. For some reason the images were removed from the Shoothill server. See an explanation in the thread link below.
The pdf index file mentioned there can be searched using Ctrl + F.
:)

Unfortunately I know nothing about Blews Street. I collected images from the Shoothill site who had hosted a collection of Birmingham Library images and showed them using the 'Deep Zoom' software. For some reason the images were removed from the Shoothill server. See an explanation in the thread link below.
The pdf index file mentioned there can be searched using Ctrl + F.
:)

Ok thank you for your reply, much appreciated :)

Looks like the attached newspaper cuttings could be of interest Wisey.
Blews St Simpson.jpg

Not sure if these add to the dabate....but as Gt Grandad and his family lived in Blews Street, Manchester Street and Brewery Street in the late 1800s.......that square of Streets off Newtown Row....here's a few more pics I've collected over the years....mainly from this site!

Blews Street Houses 1900.jpgBrewery Street Map 1888 copy.jpgBrittannia Brewery Brewery Street.jpgSummer Lane 1830 map copy.jpgScreenshot 2020-05-22 at 15.04.09 copy.jpg

the photos on post 2 and 3 i have got but thats a new one to me viv....it could be taken at any coal yard in the aston area...thanks for posting it and if i do come across a location for it i will post on here

lyn

I did wonder if it was a railway yard location. But no evidence as such, just a hunch. Viv.

Thanks Brummy-lad, hadn’t realised that article next to the photo was connected as it was sectioned off ! Shall move this thread to Blews Street thread. Some members may recognise residents. Viv.

Hello. These are great photos and I would like to use them in a family history book. Please could you tell me where they are from in order to get permission? Many thanks, Hannah
Hello Hannah.
As far as I know the photos are owned by Birmingham Library. They were digitised for the library by a commercial company situated in Shrewsbury and were displayed on the internet using Microsoft's Deep Zoom technology. For some reason the database was deleted and a 1000 photos suddenly became unavailable. I presume Birmingham Library have the originals but never responded to enquiries about them.

See this thread for more information.

Also see this BHF picture index pdf

The company in Shrewsbury .... they do not own the images.

Last edited:
Back