• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blews Street

R

Rod

Park

Your right about Blews Street park, especially with the major injuries John :eek: Can you also remeber the fair that came a few times to Blews Street?

Free Tickets

Those fair people never gave anything away!! I remember my friend and I fetching an errand, medicine for a sick child, I think? from Timothy Whites on Newtown Row. We was given two free ride tickets for our help. It cost us both of them for a go on the bumper cars, theres gratitude for you.

I don't recall the dog? I do recall how crowded the fair was, and the smell, popcorn mixed with hotdogs and a strong smell of deisel exhust fumes from the generators.

I used to pass Blews Street Park frequently as a child on the way to my grandparents who lived in New John Street, I cannot remember ever seeing a blade of grass or any flowers, but I vividly remember the barrage ballons tethered there during the war, they were huge and were a silvery blue colour and I don't know what the material used was but it looked quilted.

RECCY

Waggy we called it Blews street too!! I wonder how its identity changed?

It looks also from an old map I have that there were gardens around its periphery around 1913? On the map it also shows a few trees centrally........Shame it changed a bit of greenery wouldnt have gone amiss really :)

Do you remember the dumping of Snow in Blew St Park after the storm of 1947

GER22VAN if you see this and you have time can you have a look at your A- Z of Birmingham please and see if you can find Blew Street Birmingham? It is an address from an 1833 document and maybe in the same area as Tower Street, that you very kindly found for me yesterday.

If GER22VAN is not able to help can anyone else offer assistance with this please?

Thank you
Ewan

Hi Ewan,

Blews Street runs off Newtown Middleway near the 'Pump Island'
at the top of Aston Expressway. I believe Tower Street and Lower
Tower Street are nearby, but I don't know the area that well.
Used to visit the Globe pub in Blews St with a friend, and I understand
the pub is still there.

Kind regards

Dave

Blews St is still there, but in 1839 it is shown below.
mike

Blews_St_c_1839A.jpg

Ernie is that the old A-Z from the 50s i keep looking for one of those in the car-boots i visit occasionally but no such luck yet ,keep looking though. Dek

DEK, Its probably 1950's and it is falling apart. As far as I am aware those A -Z 's did not have any date printed on them.

Thank you Dave, Mike and Peter for your contributions with the information and the map. Thank you GER22VAN for coming up with yet another old map with the location I was looking for, that A-Z must be worth its weight in gold. I have one of London but possibly not that old.

A big thank you again, I feel I really know my way around St George now:D.
Ewan

My family lived in Blews Street in the 1871 and 1881 census. Also in 1861 I have some living in Blews Street West (which I think was renamed Roseberry Street at some point) and in 1871 Blews Street North. My maternal and paternal family seemed to have lived in the same streets for years!

if anyone is interested there are 2 pics of blews st under the blews street thread....

lyn

I have relatives who lived at 10 Blews Street according to the 1911 census. Joshua Mee (b.1873) and wife Theresa Mee (b. 1873) with daughter Doris (Dolly) Mabel Mee (b. 1900) and son Albert E. Mee (b.1902). Also listed are Joshua's widowed sister and her daughter. I would be interested to see the pictures that people uploaded here since the website was hacked the pictures haven't been restored... If anyone has any information on my family members it would be great to hear from you. I also have quite a bit of research to offer back. Cheers - Simon

my mother was born on blews street but left their in 1932 maiden name bennett, any info on blews street would be great, thanks, mark.

My family lived in Blews Street in the 1871 and 1881 census. Also in 1861 I have some living in Blews Street West (which I think was renamed Roseberry Street at some point) and in 1871 Blews Street North. My maternal and paternal family seemed to have lived in the same streets for years!

hi ya charlie...trying to confirm but i think that there were 2 blews streets..rosebury st is in ladywood area near to spring hill...far as i know the blews st in newtown which is still there has never had a name change..will try and confirm this as it can be confusing for those who have got rellies down as living in blews st..

lyn

Back