• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blakesley Hall

As we know recycling and repurposing is nothing new. Henry Donne who bought Blakesley Hall c1899) when it had fallen into disrepair used pew ends from Christ Church for a staircase at the Hall. Apparently the pew end numbers can still be seen on the staircase. Nice to know some items are/were reused in this way. Viv.

My Great Grandfather, Joseph Whiles lived in Blakesley Hall as a tenant farmer and I finally visited the house, now a museum of course some 15 yearsJosephWhiles.jpg ago. Strange to think that my grandfather, Thomas, his son ran around those corridors about 1870 onwards. This was Joseph (b. 1816) probably aged about 45.

hi valerie and i bet that thomas and joseph never in their wildest dreams would have thought all those years later you would be walking in their footsteps

lyn

hi valerie and i bet that thomas and joseph never in their wildest dreams would have thought all those years later you would be walking in their footsteps

lyn
Hi
Hoping to visit Blakesley Hall on Saturday again after 45 years.

Just in case anyone has a family tree which helps it would be nice to know how the Hopkins family in my tree fit with the Hopkins who rented the hall.
My Great gndmother was Hannah Hopkins d. 1922 in Birm.who married William T Belcher an organist in Birmingham for many years from Aston/Handsworth m. I think 1861. There were 3 Hopkins sisters Hannah, Henrietta and Harriet i am pretty sure. My grandfather told my dad these Hopkins were descended from a Hopkins in Blakesley hall and originated from Repton in Derbyshire, is this true?
When i was last there i was a teenager and Rosalind Hill was with us she was also related via a Minnie Katinka Belcher to Hopkins.
The only other thing i remember is a monkey puzzle tree off a side road from Blakesley in front of some shops my dad took us to but think that was the Standley family.....but i am rambling.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
Robert

I still have Charles Hopkin's Last Will and Testament that I found in 1985 in the Midland Educational on Corporation Street. They had cleared out a safe of a city solicitor and
were selling the contents. Just a few Wills on Parchment. I intend to bring the Will with me when next I visit Birmingham and take it to Blakesley Hall for their files.
Hi jenny
Are you still on here? I have a family line to Hopkins of Blakesley but i wont go on as i see it was a few years ago now!
Thanks
Robert

Hi
Hoping to visit Blakesley Hall on Saturday again after 45 years.

Just in case anyone has a family tree which helps it would be nice to know how the Hopkins family in my tree fit with the Hopkins who rented the hall.
My Great gndmother was Hannah Hopkins d. 1922 in Birm.who married William T Belcher an organist in Birmingham for many years from Aston/Handsworth m. I think 1861. There were 3 Hopkins sisters Hannah, Henrietta and Harriet i am pretty sure. My grandfather told my dad these Hopkins were descended from a Hopkins in Blakesley hall and originated from Repton in Derbyshire, is this true?
When i was last there i was a teenager and Rosalind Hill was with us she was also related via a Minnie Katinka Belcher to Hopkins.
The only other thing i remember is a monkey puzzle tree off a side road from Blakesley in front of some shops my dad took us to but think that was the Standley family.....but i am rambling.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
Robert
Hi Viv
Thanks for the reply, how do I see posts from the member anorak147?

This is the information I have found
Charles Hopkins born 14th Aug 1815 married Elizabeth Standley born 25th April 1821
They had four children
Elizabeth Hopkins born 22nd Nov 1841
Catherine Hopkins born 21st July 1844
John Standley Hopkins born 28th March 1846 ( my mums great grandad )
Rhonda Jane Hopkins born 15th Dec 1847.

Charles Hopkins died aged 33 on 27th April 1849
His wife Elizabeth then went on to marry Joseph Dallaway who was a worker on the farm at Blakesley Hall and they had a son together.

In the 1851 census the four children of Charles and Elizabeth Hopkins lived with their Grandmother Sarah Standley at Blakesley Hall.

I also believe that Charles father lived at Blakesley Hall before him.

Lisa x
Hi Lisa
Corrrection
In case you are still on here thanks to your post I realised my mistake .... my GGndmother is Elizabeth Hopkins....b.1841 d.1922. m. William Belcher. There is a Standley Belcher, brother of my Gndfther so it all makes sense now!
The sisters I mentioned are on my other Belcher line pretty sure, nothing to do with Blakesley but all Birm folk.
Cheers if you still on here.
Robert

Jenny,

I have just found this thread by Googling "Hopkins" and "Blakesley Hall" as I have just found some evidence to suggest that I may be related to this branch of Hopkins (I am in the process of trying to prove this). I would love to purchase the will from you if you still have it but, from an altruistic perspective, perhaps it is better donated to the Birmingham Archives where many can view it on the original parchment?....
Love that photo you guys. Thanks for posting. I will be going to Blakesley Hall in October to present them with an original will from the l8th Century for one of the Farmer tenants who lived there. It is all in original long hand writing
on parchment. I found it years ago at the Midland Educational in Corporation Street for 75p. It belongs to Blakesley Hall and hopefully they will frame and hang it.
Hi Are you still on here? Did you find your relation to Charles Hopkins? Charles Hopkins is my GG Grandfather.

Hi Are you still on here? Did you find your relation to Charles Hopkins? Charles Hopkins is my GG Grandfather.
I have a ‘partial‘ family tree of the Hopkins family as a very distant Davenport features in the family .Hopkins were there from 1770s until Eliza Hopkins who was born there in 1822 married Henry Lowe and moved to Comberford, Staffs and had Florence Elizabeth Lowe who married Thomas William Davenport.
If you P M me with your e mail address I’ll forward it to you, it includes a Charles Hopkins.

Back