• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blacksmiths Forge, Broad Street photo wanted!

Strawberry Hunter

master brummie
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place?

I'm trying to find a pic and I have asked before, but nothing came up. That was about 5 years ago now.

I've had so much help from the forum, so I'm sure if anyone can help me they will.

Perhaps there is new info available about where I could look? Could I try Birmingham library? If so what department would I ask for?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hi kat...what years are we talking about? and do you have the name of the person who ran the forge... cant say as i have ever seen one but happy to search my photo files

lyn

OK, thanks Lyn. Strawbridge. Listed in the Kelly's is the year. I've got the year buried deep in some notes, I'll have to look it up and get back to you.

The forge was there before the registry office.

1900 Strawbridge, 316 Broad Street, shoeing Smith.

That's from the UK City and county directories.

Thanks Lyn, really hope you find something, it's one of the missing pieces (no pressure there then! XX)

1900 Strawbridge, 316 Broad Street, shoeing Smith.

That's from the UK City and county directories.

Thanks Lyn, really hope you find something, it's one of the missing pieces (no pressure there then! XX)
thanks kat...i have looked at my photos but no luck so far but its early days yet as maybe other members could help so dont give up just yet..i may have a bit of spare time tomorrow so i will look further

lyn

Thanks so much Lyn. Appreciate your support.

Hopefully you will have some luck tomorrow. I mean it's right next to the municipal bank, so I'd have thought something would be about somewhere.

Thanks so much Lyn. Appreciate your support.

Hopefully you will have some luck tomorrow. I mean it's right next to the municipal bank, so I'd have thought something would be about somewhere.
i was going to suggest find a photo of the bank and it may also show the forge but the bank was built in 1931 so the forge may have gone by then...back to the drawing board

lyn

Arh, yes. I think I may remember that line of enquiry from the past when trying to find something.

Thanks though. Out of interest, what was on the bank site previous to the bank? No problem if I need to wait until you have more time for an answer.

kat i dont know what was on the site previous to the bank...possibly another bank but i think mikejee will be posting some info soon

lyn

The 1950s map shows 317. which means 316 site is part of the Masonic Temple

map 1950s showing 317  Broad St..jpg

The 1880s map marks the smithy at 316 (I have also marked in red)

map 1880s showing smithy at 316.jpg

The Masonic Temple was built in 1927. The Kellys of 1921 & 1923 (which would probably refer to 1920 & 1922) states that 316 was the International Bible Students Association Meeting Hall, and in 1910 to 1915 the Adult Deaf & Dumb Mission. !903, 1904 a cabinet maker. However from1883 edition till 1900 edition the occupant was Henry Strawbridge, who took over from John Russell, shoeing smith.
In 1903 and 1904 Henry (assuming it is the same Henry and not a son) was at 1 St Martin's Row, not far away

.map 1880s showing 1 St Martins Row.jpg
However in 1908 a Henry Charles Strawbridge is a haiulier at 1 ST Martin's Row , while an Ernest Strawbridge is a shoeing smith at 23½ longmore St.

Oh goodness, thank you so much Mike, that's information I haven't had before.

Really thrilled with that. Sorry ots taken a short while for me to respond.

I've been thinking about the hauliers in St Martins Row. The maps are excellent that have been added, but have only fueled my desire to want to know more.

Would that property have been only commercial, would the Strawbridges lived at the site?

My family have talked about the Strawbridges being hauliers. Apparently they were responsible for moving the tram tracks when they were first installed in Birmingham.

I've been thinking about the hauliers in St Martins Row. The maps are excellent that have been added, but have only fueled my desire to want to know more.

Would that property have been only commercial, would the Strawbridges lived at the site?

My family have talked about the Strawbridges being hauliers. Apparently they were responsible for moving the tram tracks when they were first installed in Birmingham.
On the 1911 census he is listed as a blacksmith (shoeing) and the address given for the family is 1 St Martin's Row. However, there is a son Harry and a boarder who are down as carters. Property is down as having 4 rooms. The form is signed by his wife Beatrice.

Back