• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blackshirts, Tupenny Pies, Holy Joe and Miss Lilly

BrumFellows

Brummie babby
I have been researching my family tree and have, within a box of keep-sakes from my grandfather etc three documents about the above people in Birmingham. My g grandfather (Charles Fellows) wrote two stories and a poem that were all published in the local paper in Birmingham at the time but no dates on them.
I am hoping someone may remember them, reading them or around what timeline he was referring to?
I'm happy to display them in here if anyone wants to read them.

Last edited:
I have been researching my family tree and have, within a box of keep-sakes from my grandfather etc three documents about the above people in Birmingham. My g grandfather (Charles Fellows) wrote two stories and a poem that were all published in the local paper in Birmingham at the time but no dates on them.
I am hoping someone may remember them, reading them or around what timeline he was referring to?
Am I missing out on something here? Where has Pedro got Holy Joe from? Or is this post, although numbered #1, part of another thread?

In the first story my grandfather wrote, he made reference to different characters in Birmingham during his childhood.
Around the Bull Ring he refers to 'Holy Joe'.."a man with long hair and a long beard, carrying banners on his chest and back".
He refers to a rally at Nelson's Column and on one occasion Mosely's Blackshirts fought with people.
He also makes reference to three pet stalls in the Market Hall; stalls owned by Mr Williams, Mr Carrell and Mr James.
Chapman's the bird shop who also owned Chapman's Circus...amongst other memories he wrote about.

Just for interest a forum post shows an aerial photo of the Bull Ring dated 1931 and shows what appears to be a public speaker not far from the Nelson Statue.
Enlarged aerial views of the Bull Ring from 'britainfromabove'
No market stalls out although the shops appear to be open. Public speakers with audiences standing around them. A white coated policeman on traffic duty, and trams turning out of Moor Street.
index.php

Just for interest a forum post shows an aerial photo of the Bull Ring dated 1931 and shows what appears to be a public speaker not far from the Nelson Statue.

It would be great if this was actually a picture of Holy Joe. In one of the articles someone says something like “you can’t stand there it’s Holy Joe’s pitch.”

Thanks BrumFellows for leading to the unsung Brummie "Holy Joe."

If you could give some idea of the poem or title it could be searched. Any further clues to Miss Lilly?

In the first story my grandfather wrote, he made reference to different characters in Birmingham during his childhood.
Around the Bull Ring he refers to 'Holy Joe'.."a man with long hair and a long beard, carrying banners on his chest and back".
He refers to a rally at Nelson's Column and on one occasion Mosely's Blackshirts fought with people.
He also makes reference to three pet stalls in the Market Hall; stalls owned by Mr Williams, Mr Carrell and Mr James.
Chapman's the bird shop who also owned Chapman's Circus...amongst other memories he wrote about.

Chapman’s Circus January 1939...

05C9E5C7-4F1B-4FF7-846C-4AEE28CA66AA.jpeg
F7471D69-11D1-49D1-8F05-00FC9A42D310.jpeg

Can't tell you how excited I was to come across this entry on Holy Joe. He was George Waite my Grandfather Ambrose William Waite's brother. I always thought it was a made up name until I started researching the family history am so grateful that I can now add this information to our files. Thank you so much my Aunt before her death had told me the story about him but she was prone to exaggerate a bit so was not sure it was true. You have made my day.

Can't tell you how excited I was to come across this entry on Holy Joe. He was George Waite my Grandfather Ambrose William Waite's brother. I always thought it was a made up name until I started researching the family history am so grateful that I can now add this information to our files. Thank you so much my Aunt before her death had told me the story about him but she was prone to exaggerate a bit so was not sure it was true. You have made my day.

oh thats great sue...i can feel your joy at confirming joe was not a myth...in my humble opinion you will not find a better forum than this to help and assist our members...if we dont know the answers straight away then we will always try and find out...all the best

lyn

Back