• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crime : Blacklisting in 1900s

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..ive just been reading an article in the sun newpaper about how folk 100 years ago were handed out asbo,s or blacklisted as the courts called it...:rolleyes: offences punishable with the black list included...being intoxicated to the point of complete incompetence..riding a horse whilst under the influence or drink driving a steam engine:Dafter 4 convictions they were put on the black list banning them from every pub in their home city of birmingham..their pics were also given out to landlords.. the article shows pics of 2 women and 3 men who were blacklisted giving their names and also discriptions of them (including tattoos) and their occuption at that time....the two women were prostitutes...i was tempted to scan and post this article with the pics as although it would not bother me in the slightest if one of these 5 people had turned out to be one of my ancestors it may upset or offend others should they be theirs....so sorry no piccies on this one:(

the details were compiled by the watch committee of the city of birmingham and can be found online by ancestry.com...

lyn:)

Lyn,
At that time "ladies of the night" used to hang out in Livery St.and they always gave their proffession as "seamstress"...those who are dab hands on sewing machines..take note.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for the A.S.B.O....I want one...it should be good for my street cred.:).

well ive got a woodchopper/prostitute and a polisher/prostitute as occupations given...

might have known you would reply to this one ray:D:D

Lyn,
Perhaps they couldn't afford to give up their day jobs.:rolleyes:.
Seriously,I think the authoritys did have more compassion,those day's than we would have thought,they didn't jail them but allowed them to carry on working.:)
In compariasion ,this morning I read of a young woman sent prison,for lying on her C.V.all she wanted was a job,the sentencing judge,clearly has less compassion than all them years ago.
What can you expect from a bloke who wears a wig,a long red frock and lives in an ivory tower.:D

You would probably find a criminal in your history Lyn,but so what.
My wifes cousin is a family researcher of many years,and recently she found an ancestor that had stolen about 2 ton of iron,she was a bit shocked.But I said be proud of him,he was probably only trying to feed his family.
Mind you his 6 months hard labour seemed fair enough to me,it was railway track that he stole.:rolleyes:

:D:D ray...but as you say in those days wrong doings were common and it was a case of either that or starve...well said...

lyn

:D mike...im still laffin about the bit about being drunk in charge of a steam engine...:D:D

Just imagine being a second or third generation Australian all of you forefathers were criminals of some kind. Dek:):):):)

Lyn
Not anything like as good I know, but back about 33 years ago I was fined (together with a few minor other faults) for not having any water in my windscreen washer bottles
Mike

Back