• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Swan Hotel - Bromsgrove Street

I remember as a young man the Black Swan was a favourite place for breakfast for us. Upstairs room where a full English with as much tea and toast could be had for, I think, 5/-. There was a Mynah bird in a cage in the room that repeated the most unsavoury phrases you could imagine, all learnt from the market porters and salesmen that used it on a daily basis.

I have uploaded a fair amount of material on this 'markets pub' at :

Thank you for all your hard work in researching The Black Swan Hotel in Bromsgrove Street Birmingham. It was so interesting to read as my Grandad Bernard Webster, my Nan Florence May Webster were the Landlord/ Landlady from 1958 ~ 1970. My mother Dorothy May spent her latter teenage and early 20s growing up here. When my mother married my father she would take me back to the Black Swan and I have some memories and pictures of visiting as a child. My Mother will be so pleased I have found your research. I am going to show her all you have found at Christmas she has such fond memories and crazy funny stories of the Black Swan, her parents and it’s interesting characters, and yes there was a very very naughty mynah bird!
Many thanks again
Sara

I remember as a young man the Black Swan was a favourite place for breakfast for us. Upstairs room where a full English with as much tea and toast could be had for, I think, 5/-. There was a Mynah bird in a cage in the room that repeated the most unsavoury phrases you could imagine, all learnt from the market porters and salesmen that used it on a daily basis.
Your memory serves you well.
Thank you for sharing your memories of the Black Swan.
I had forgotten about the naughty Mynah bird. He probably learned all he knew from my Nan & Grandad who ran the Black Swan as well as the other characters who frequented it.
Good to hear it was your favourite place for breakfast, my Nan was the best cook

Thank you for all your hard work in researching The Black Swan Hotel in Bromsgrove Street Birmingham. It was so interesting to read as my Grandad Bernard Webster, my Nan Florence May Webster were the Landlord/ Landlady from 1958 ~ 1970. My mother Dorothy May spent her latter teenage and early 20s growing up here. When my mother married my father she would take me back to the Black Swan and I have some memories and pictures of visiting as a child. My Mother will be so pleased I have found your research. I am going to show her all you have found at Christmas she has such fond memories and crazy funny stories of the Black Swan, her parents and it’s interesting characters, and yes there was a very very naughty mynah bird!
Many thanks again
Sara
Welcome Sara, I hope you enjoy the Forum! Great people and insight here.

Many thanks again
Sara

hello sarasara and welcome to the forum....if you have any photos you could share of your grandparents time at this pub or when your mom visited after it would be a lovely addition to this thread...thank you

lyn

Last edited:
hello sarasara and welcome to the forum....if you have any photos you could share of your grandparents time at this pub or when your mom visited after it would be a lovely addition to this thread...thank you

lyn
Hi Lyn, Thank you, I will try and sort some old pics out for the forum. Might not be until after Christmas though.

Back