• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Sabbath

A friend of mine was a 'Roadie' with Sabbath and he did several world tours with them. I was a taxi driver and he bought the tour bus into New St Station one night in the early hoursso we could have a chat with them all.

That's interesting Stitch. Black Sabbath was not my cup-of-tea but your posting reminded me of a very good cycling friend of mine from the 60's, who in 1968 went on to become that very famous road manger of the Rolling Stones; his name, Alan Dunn!

Graham.

Iv'e heard the name before Graham but as you say it was not my sort of music so I never got too involved.

Did any one watch BBC4 last Friday Heavy Metal Britannia - what a fantastic show - especially Black Sabbath - it was great to see how many Birmingham people were involved. If you missed it - try and see if it is repeated.

Had to laugh when I saw the' Similar Threads' box at the bottom of the page - Ode to a Black Pudding,

Sums Ozzy up during the eighties dont it ?

Did any one watch BBC4 last Friday Heavy Metal Britannia - what a fantastic show - especially Black Sabbath - it was great to see how many Birmingham people were involved. If you missed it - try and see if it is repeated.

Thanks for the tip but I'll just have to wait until BBC 1 or 2 repeat it as we don't get BBC 4 here in the Flanders.:(

I will not give any details other than quite a few doormen from the 60s & 70s were in attendance at a sad gathering today. From information gathered I can assure you all that Big Albert did indeed become the official Roadie for The Sabbath and my friend who I mentioned in post 19 did all the humping of the gear.

All you Black Sabbath fans - Heavy Metal Britannia 1960s to 1970s is repeated tonight on BBC4 at 10:00pm. Just before that at 9:00pm is Classic Albums and its Paranoid, revealing how the band created the genre defining record. Enjoy I know I will again as I did the first time round.

no, I wasn't and just to prove it have just taken him to the pub as well - commented on by a friend there as literally driving him to drink :)

If anyone is interested - Friday 22 July at 21:40hrs on BBC4 Ozzy Osbourne - 30 years after the Blizzard. I dont know if anyone saw Alan Yentob's John Lennon documentary in the week, that was another piece of greatness. Next Tuesdayis edition on BBC1 22:35hrs its Harry Nilsson story - looking forward to that.

thanks brummygirl...so pleased that this great band are playing their last gig in brum....

Fortunately I was able to get to the gig in Dublin to say farewell to my favourite band, it was touch and go whether I would be able to go having been in hospital most of the day having treatment but I got there, I had to stand near the back and stay quiet but still enjoyed it although sad it was the end. The BBC article typically focuses in on Ozzy whereas the real driving force behind the band has always been Tony Iommi and of them all he is the one who has maintained the closest links with his home city. The music will live on and nothing will change the fact that heavy metal music was invented in Birmingham :)

Simon

A friend of mine went to the O2 concert, paid to go in the "sound check" but won't tell me what it cost. To go in the dressing room to meet the band was £950 but not allowed to speak to them.. To think that when I lived in Knowle Tony was a regular sight walking around the village.

Possibly of interest
Friday 13 and Saturday 14 September: Home of Metal Symposium and Workshop: Music Heritage, People and Place
Symposium: 9.30am - 7.30pm, 13 September, Parkside Building, Birmingham City University

Organised in collaboration with the Birmingham Centre for Media and Cultural Research, Birmingham City University, this public event celebrates the Home of Metal project and music heritage and is produced alongside the Home of Metal programme and Black Sabbath 50 Years exhibition.
The Friday symposium features a range of expert presentations on Heavy Metal history and popular music heritage projects, alongside listening events and participation from online rock radio station Midlands Metalheads that will capture the day’s events and insights from attendees on the Home of Metal season.
This event is free to attend but do please register to help the organisers manage numbers and to enable them to notify you of updates to the schedule. You can register at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/publ...heritage-people-and-place-tickets-63106654703

Back