• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

In the early 80’s I abseiled into the Singing Cavern and I think the other was called the 144 level. Was there also a Hursts Cavern? We came across a derelict boat at the bottom, a hundred or so feet below the surface.

i noted no safety helmets back then pedro

lyn

No there didn't used to be.
I hadn't been for some years and then visited with my sister and brother in law who were over from Germany - was amazed to find we had to wear a hard hat and, I think, a hi viz jacket!

to be honest i think hard hats are needed as you never know when something could break away from up above and wack you on the head...also quite a bit of netting gone up just in case...cost £16.50 for myself and grandson for the 40/45 min trip..3rd time i have done it... well worth it i think

lyn

Not sure If I have posted theses before, but possibly lost in hack.
The entrance to the tunnel before the BCLM was extant.

3A.jpg4A.jpg5A.jpg

Conditions inside the tunnel

9A.jpg10A.jpg12A.jpg15A.jpg

Exit at the other end, which you at present cannot do, though possibly in future if the Trust expands the work

16A.jpg

A book is now available being part of the research for the Black Country Museum "Forging Ahead" development depicting the years 1945-1968.

Forging Ahead, Austerity to Prosperity in the Black Country 1945-1968, Simon Briercliffe.

942A982F-28EE-4848-BD96-9CAA753D563B.jpeg

A connection to Birmingham can be seen in the thread…Julia Varley.

B

ive got my yearly pass so i shall be visiting soon...cant wait to the see the new buildings in place which wont be just yet of course

lyn

Racecourse Colliery, Black Country Museum.

“It was originally the shaft of one of the Earl of Dudley's small pits, Coneygree Colliery Pit No 126, which operated between 1860 and 1902. After the pit was abandoned, all the surface landmarks were removed and the shaft itself was eventually filled in.”

D1FCDD23-A5B8-455E-A4BC-A336F4765A4B.jpeg

Back