• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

Thanks Pete.

I have this family story where my grandmother was given a bottle of soft soap to wash her hair. Good for the shine they said. She was told only to use one teaspoonful. Apparently, she poured half the bottle on her head and massaged it in. It set solid like a cake.

My mom said the more water they used to try washing it out the worse it became. Mom said they had to use several gallons of water to get it all out.

My grandmother was prone to doing things to excess and never reading the instructions. Like the day she drank half a bottle of syrup of figs, then half hour later took off like a tornado to the loo.
it a lot like my mom mort.:grinning: the softsoap today is nothing like it.the stuff i remember was a thickgreen liquid,

Rain water, rather than tap water, was considered essential for keeping hair in tip-top condition.
Interesting that Alan, my paternal grandmother used to keep a bucket under the downspout for rainwater for her hair too.

Lots of houses had Sweetwater tanks either under the kitchen floor or in the entry. There are a few in the houses of the Black Country museum.

The old Library in Dudley is being dismantled and re-built in the Black Country Museum.
once again well done to the ever forward thinking black country..forward thinking for saving so many of their historical buildings over the past 50 years

lyn

Last edited:
It’s good that they’re selective with their buildings so that they reflect the different styles, functions and ages of their local buildings. The mix is impressive. Pity similar couldn’t be done around Cannon Hill Park and the Golden Lion Inn. The old Inn, a good starting point, plenty of space and already a popular place to visit. Viv.

Last edited:
It’s good that they’re selective with their buildings so that they reflect the different styles, functions and ages of their local buildings. The mix is impressive. Pity similar couldn’t be done around Cannon Hill Park and the Golden Lion Inn. The old Inn, a good starting point, plenty of space and already a popular place to visit. Viv.
i agree viv but sadly i cant see it ever happening...sorry to bang on but getting rid of birminghams history is paramount as far as the powers that be are concerned...thank goodness we have this forum and our good members who are here to keep it alive

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking what a big job that's going to be! It could be the most ornate building they have in there - be interesting to watch some of the progress of the work involved.
I have been following the dismantling of the Library, they are so careful. They are almost finished now and yesterday all that was visible of the building was the top half of the entrance showing the words ‘FREE LIBRARY’. Another era gone! Anyway the chaps there let me take a pic for history. I wanted to show it on here but can’t get the hang of doing it. Jen

I have been following the dismantling of the Library, they are so careful. They are almost finished now and yesterday all that was visible of the building was the top half of the entrance showing the words ‘FREE LIBRARY’. Another era gone! Anyway the chaps there let me take a pic for history. I wanted to show it on here but can’t get the hang of doing it. Jen
JeanetteM kindly forwarded the photo, so here you are

IMG_1476R.jpg

I was at the BCLM 1940s event last week and took a few photos of the proposed 40s,50s,60s street site while I was there. The Fairground has gone and there are several footings up at the Institute end. Hope to see further progress in the coming months.
BCLM a.jpgBCLM b.jpgBCLM c.jpgBCLM d.jpg

Last edited:
So that is where the new street is to be. for some reason I had thought it was going to be near the entrance

So that is where the new street is to be. for some reason I had thought it was going to be near the entrance
i also thought that mike but only because where you come out after paying facing the gift shop there was a lot of deep digging going on not long ago and had high boards all around it...i want to go again soon so will check on progress

lyn

Looking at what they say on the internet (which does not actually say where it will be), it does say that there is to be a new visitor centre as well, so maybe that is what you saw.

Looking at what they say on the internet (which does not actually say where it will be), it does say that there is to be a new visitor centre as well, so maybe that is what you saw.
right thanks mike maybe that is it then although there is a new visitor centre where you get on to have the canal trips...think i will ask next time i can get there

lyn

Looking at the Black Country site it doesn’t seem to give a plan, but some info…

“ …a brand new contemporary Visitor Centre which will turn the Museum's face to Castle Hill, creating a physical link between the Museum and the other attractions at Castle Hill (including Dudley Zoo, Castle and Canal Trust). It will become the welcome point for up to 5,000 visitors per day and house an introductory exhibition, food & drink and retail facilities. This will enable the current Rolfe Street entrance building to be repurposed as a dedicated Learning Centre…

The Museum’s new visitor centre is scheduled to open from early 2022 and the 1940s-60s historic town and industrial quarter will welcome visitors in 2023. The development will expand the Museum’s footprint by about a third and increase its capacity to welcome around 500,000 visitors per year by 2026.”

I gather from the very stylistic, but as always from architects stylised plans somewhat vague and uninformative plans, that the information centre is to be approximately where the cast iron buildings were. I assume this will be the paying entrance. As this new information centre is actually to the west of several of the museums exhibits (including the present entrance), I assume the actual entrance will be to the other side of this (?). I hope that this does not mean that those not visiting by car (ie ME) will have to walk long distances to get to the entrance from the road.

I gather from the very stylistic, but as always from architects stylised plans somewhat vague and uninformative plans, that the information centre is to be approximately where the cast iron buildings were. I assume this will be the paying entrance. As this new information centre is actually to the west of several of the museums exhibits (including the present entrance), I assume the actual entrance will be to the other side of this (?). I hope that this does not mean that those not visiting by car (ie ME) will have to walk long distances to get to the entrance from the road.
good point mike...next time i go i will ask the question..must say i am really looking forward to seeing the new street so pleased that i dont live that far away from the museum because birmingham will never have anything like this..

lyn

I went to the Museum 2 weeks ago for the first time and I have to say I was rather disappointed. There were no trams or trolley buses working and several exhibits were locked up. A lot of areas were building sites and surrounded by wire fences.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

i was there a few weeks ago and i think we have to expect a bit of disruption as they are building brick by brick another 22 historic buildings to form new streets from the 1940s to the 1960s also a new visitors centre is being built it really is a huge project..i love the place and visit a few times a year and cant wait until the work is completed...i shall be taking my 5 year old grandson next thursday as he has said he wants to learn about history like nanny does:D also hoping to go on the limestone canal trip which is wonderful...so long as the chippy..pub..sweet and cake shop is open we shall be ok...once again hats off to the museum a great step back in time

lyn

Back