• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

Good old carbolic soap, an integral part of working on the building site. There would always be someone who dropped it on the floor, so it was all gritty when you washed your face with it.
a bit of grit in the soap help remove the dirt.:grinning:
we used lifebouy carbolic soap.... the stuff you get now removes your skin as well as the dirt.1601310148239.png

Well clearly Pete, you were a posh boy. The stuff we used came in an enormous extruded lumpy block that was cut up into chunks.

None of this posh in the box stuff for us builders

alan i am using wrights coal tar at the moment and i love the smell of it :D
I remember the smell of tar when I travelled over the raised section of the M5 at Oldbury. I think the company was something like Midland Tar Distillers.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

The company had initially, a head office in Cannon Street. Later their head office was at Oldbury where I guess most remember it.https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Midland_Tar_Distillers
A report after the serious fire in 1962:

I can remember the green Fairy being used for washing clothes. The red carbolic for faces and hands. Odd bits were put in a perforated plastic container with a handle to shake in the washing up water before Fairy liquid was invented

I thought the green soap was cold tar Pete?

Who remembers soft soap?
no mort is was washing soap.cold tar was brown. I remember soft soap we used it to put tyres on . and i give my wife it when i wanted to go to the pub.:grinning:

Last edited:
They still sell what is sometimes called coal tar soap, though this is a soap described as having "coal tar fragrance", that is a compounded smell probably having nothing to do with coal tar.

mw0njm. said:

no mort is was washing soap.cold tar was brown. I remember soft soap we used it to put tyres on . and i give my wife it when i wanted to go to the pub.

You put tyres on your wife??
[/QUOTE no just a load of ss
Dictionary entry overview: What does soft-soap mean?

SOFT-SOAP (verb)
The verb SOFT-SOAP
persuade someone through flattery

Last edited:
Thanks Pete.

I have this family story where my grandmother was given a bottle of soft soap to wash her hair. Good for the shine they said. She was told only to use one teaspoonful. Apparently, she poured half the bottle on her head and massaged it in. It set solid like a cake.

My mom said the more water they used to try washing it out the worse it became. Mom said they had to use several gallons of water to get it all out.

My grandmother was prone to doing things to excess and never reading the instructions. Like the day she drank half a bottle of syrup of figs, then half hour later took off like a tornado to the loo.

Back