• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

It looks like you have to ring to check if the number of allowed people has not been exceeded, and to give roughly the time you will arrive.

yes i realise that pedro...we can no longer just turn up on speck...have to have a time slot for arrival

Seeing #207 reminds me of last year when we did the Peaky Blinders events. I was the Detective on the right and we used that bus as a (blue) Maria van to round up the baddies. As I am also involved in the annual 40s event they hold I really have missed going and hope that they can resume these popular events next year.
BCLM 2019.jpg
I'm the ARP Warden on the right helping the crew put out the fire.
BCLM.jpg

Last edited:
so pleased the museum is open again but just a shame i cant get there even though i hold a yearly pass...i would think that most people who are visiting at the min are using cars

lyn
I live to far away or i would gladly give you a lift there lyn.

Seeing #207 reminds me of last year when we did the Peaky Blinders events. I was the Detective on the right and we used that bus as a (blue) Maria van to round up the baddies. As I am also involved in the annual 40s event they hold I really have missed going and hope that they can resume these popular events next year.
View attachment 147352
View attachment 147361
i hope you dont tell people to " put that light out"

have to say that if i lived closer i would most certainly offer to be a volunteer...its a wonderful place..trouble is i would spend most of my time in the chippy and pub :D

Wikipedia says that the Museum site has more than 40 old shafts. “One of the original surviving shafts has been used to create the Racecourse Colliery exhibit. It was originally the shaft of one of the Earl of Dudley's small pits, Coneygree Colliery Pit No 126, which operated between 1860 and 1902. After the pit was abandoned, all the surface landmarks were removed and the shaft itself was eventually filled in.”

In February 1865 there is a report in the Western Daily Press of a flood at the Racecourse Colliery between Dudley and Tipton, due to a ‘crowner in’ destroying part of the embankment of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. Two men and a boy were drowned.

At the Inquest it is referred to as the N°71 Pit Coneygree Colliery. Water had previously broken in on the 15th January, and there had been an old shaft recently found. No plans were in existence of old mine shafts, and it was revealed that 20 or 30 had previously been found. The Jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death, and recommended that a dam be put across the Dudley Road at the bridge, and the whole of the water drawn from the arm of the canal belonging to the Earl of Dudley during the working of mines under the said arm. The coroner added that if any old shaft was found all men should be withdrawn. He reminded the agents of the Earl of Dudley that if the recommendations were not carried out, and life lost as a consequence there would be a criminal responsibility.

C30B6BD7-7D35-41D3-958B-60E8BE526A08.jpeg

View attachment 147352
View attachment 147361

I also attend the 40's events at the Museum. Usually doing US Infantry, whether it's 2nd Infantry or 101st Airborne.
I also attended all of the Peaky events they held there. Usually walked around with a shotgun.

I also attend the 40's events at the Museum. Usually doing US Infantry, whether it's 2nd Infantry or 101st Airborne.
I also attended all of the Peaky events they held there. Usually walked around with a shotgun.
did you walk around with a M1 Garand too?

Black Country Museum, Open all hours...

"The original building came from Piper's Row in Wolverhampton and was built in the first half of the nineteenth century.

The hardware shop sold everything for the home, particularly products like tin baths, enamel-ware and lamps made in the area and in traditional Black Country style the exterior of the shop is festooned in merchandise.

The premises now act as an extension of the ironmonger’s shop next door."

B622FE28-8AF2-4C0E-989E-1F71BB71AFF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I never got he “saw tips” one. Being a builder, I have watched and experienced this scene played out in real life several times. The crotchety difficult storeman in his brown cow gown, me in my heavy knitted pullover covered in lumps of dried plaster and woolly hat.

I never got he “saw tips” one. Being a builder, I have watched and experienced this scene played out in real life several times. The crotchety difficult storeman in his brown cow gown, me in my heavy knitted pullover covered in lumps of dried plaster and woolly hat.

In a hardware shop. Ronnie Corbett is behind the counter, wearing a warehouse jacket. He has just finished serving a customer.
(Ronnie Barker enters the shop, wearing a scruffy tank-top and beanie)
BARKER: Saw tips!
CORBETT: Saw tips? (he doesn't know what he means) What d'you want? Ointment, or something like that?
BARKER: No, saw tips for covering saws.
CORBETT: Oh, haven't got any, haven't got any. (he mutters) Comin' in, but we haven' got any.

Yes it is fascinating Lyn. When I was there a couple of years ago I remember one woman was over the moon that she could actually buy real carbolic soap there, which she had heard about from her grandfather, and she bought some to give him as a present

I bought some carbolic soap a few years ago. It was from Bliss Hill Museum. I still have it. It’s in a brown paper bag. Every now again I have myself a fix. That is, I have a sniff of the soap! Instantly it takes me straight back to my school days!

Given the need to wash hands often, at the present time, I should have thought carbolic or coal tar soap was a must have. I have Wrights coal tar, although 'er indoors doesn't like its aroma! ;)

Last edited:
Back