• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country Museum

Very disappointing news to start the New Year with but I have been informed that both the tram and the trolleybus service have been suspended until further notice. The tram track has become very poor in recent times and was condemned at a recent inspection, this was (I think) the only narrow gauge heritage tramway in the country and it looks as though only major track renewal will see it re-opening.

The situation with the trolleybuses is harder to explain but it appears it centres around their asbestos content which is minimal and is safely contained and complies with all legal and safety regulations. Their withdrawal appears to be yet another unfortunate management decision.

I travelled on both in October and i'm so glad I did as the next opportunity might be a long time away. They are replaced with a motor bus service, hopefully something of suitable heritage rather than the modern Ford Transit "mock up". The BCM is said to be in financial crisis with falling visitor numbers which will only drop further without the attractions of the trams and trolleybuses.

This is one of my favourite museums and hopefully somebody can give us a bit more positive news than what I heard yesterday.

Simon

This is such sad news. We travelled both ways last Summer and couldn't have managed without this transport! It was quite crowded that day. Parking charges as well as admission don't help though.
rosie.

I took myself the wife and a couple of grandchildren out to the BCLM on a very cold April day last year, well at least it wasn't overcrowded but there was still a queue at the chippy as usual. It's true what has been stated that the tram tracks are in a very poor state in places. Another good thing was we got on the canal tunnel trip under the limestone hills without queuing for ages.

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 24
oh dear simon this is sad news indeed and i really do hope that they will get the tram and trolly bus up and running again in the future..i went twice last year and travelled on both..ive been to the mueum about 6 times over the years and every year it gets better as they are adding buildings..this is a wonderful museum with volunteer staff and for what you get i think the admission charges are very good and i dont think there are many places where you can park all day for £2.50...last year i paid £12 for an hour on a steam train in cornwall and was not impressed with it..

phil ive done the limestone tunnels 3 times..but have not been down the mine yet...will hopefully do that this year..nice photos phil..

lyn
Ticket type
On the door
Adults
£15.50
£13.95
Concessions*
£12.40
£11.15
Young people (5-16 years)
£8.25
£7.45
Children aged 0-4

Free​
Family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 young people)
£42.00
£37.80
Carer
£7.75
£6.95
Car parking

£2.50​
Group rates are available for parties of 15 or more

Last edited:
It's always best to book tickets for anywhere online as they are often discounted. When you pay for entry to the BCLM you are paying for 12 months membership which allows free return entrance at any time.

Very disappointing news to start the New Year with but I have been informed that both the tram and the trolleybus service have been suspended until further notice. The tram track has become very poor in recent times and was condemned at a recent inspection, this was (I think) the only narrow gauge heritage tramway in the country and it looks as though only major track renewal will see it re-opening.

The situation with the trolleybuses is harder to explain but it appears it centres around their asbestos content which is minimal and is safely contained and complies with all legal and safety regulations. Their withdrawal appears to be yet another unfortunate management decision.

I travelled on both in October and i'm so glad I did as the next opportunity might be a long time away. They are replaced with a motor bus service, hopefully something of suitable heritage rather than the modern Ford Transit "mock up". The BCM is said to be in financial crisis with falling visitor numbers which will only drop further without the attractions of the trams and trolleybuses.

This is one of my favourite museums and hopefully somebody can give us a bit more positive news than what I heard yesterday.

Simon

Hello Simon,
as one of the Transport Group members at the BCLM perhaps I can explain exactly what is happening. I don't want to comment about the trams as all that can be said has been said.
The trolley buses should be back in operation in the spring , they would not normally be in operation during the winter anyway but as mentioned asbestos has been identified on all three vehicles. This is in the form of cemented asbestos ie exactly the same material that will be found in the soffits of virtually every house in the country that was built up until surprisingly recent times and providing it is in good condition is not regarded as hazardous.

The museum acted in a responsible manner and sought advice from consultants who first confirmed that the material was asbestos and then very wisely, in my opinion, suggested the panels that are in good condition be sealed with a suitable material for this purpose and the remainder be replaced with a modern fireproof material. Most of the asbestos is in the contactor boxes situated in the cab and are only opened for maintenance and there is some asbestos mounted between the cab roof and the two circuit breakers on one vehicles and the other has two open ended 'boxes' that would act as a flash container in the event of a flash over from one of the breakers. Once these modifications have been carried out the buses should be back in service.
Ex Wolverhampton 433 has been and in fact still is subject to a complete overhaul of its steering and braking system and as I type this there is still a considerable amount of its brakes hubs and linkages on the floor of the workshop at the BCLM, in fact the only 'fly in the ointment' might be problems with one of its hydraulic brake cylinders which has suffered a broken bleed nipple. So fingers crossed that come the spring both 433 and 862 will be back in use and saving the Museum a small fortune in fuel costs!

Thanks for the update Bill. Time I visited again methinks.

Bernard

Many thanks Bill. My information came from an outside source and I was hoping you would come back with more positive news so thanks again for that. I travelled on 433 back in October, did a few runs and thoroughly enjoyed it. The conductor did in fact refer to the brakes when we were chatting!! I had been on 862 on my previous visit so good to be able to sample both. Exploring the depot was most interesting too, cursed my luck that West Bromwich Daimler 174 was in the back corner so I couldn't get a proper photo but will catch up with it again. I met you briefly Bill (at least I think it was you!) at the Aston Manor AGM at Aldridge a few days later....

Thanks again

Simon

Many thanks Bill. My information came from an outside source and I was hoping you would come back with more positive news so thanks again for that. I travelled on 433 back in October, did a few runs and thoroughly enjoyed it. The conductor did in fact refer to the brakes when we were chatting!! I had been on 862 on my previous visit so good to be able to sample both. Exploring the depot was most interesting too, cursed my luck that West Bromwich Daimler 174 was in the back corner so I couldn't get a proper photo but will catch up with it again. I met you briefly Bill (at least I think it was you!) at the Aston Manor AGM at Aldridge a few days later....

Thanks again

Your very welcome Simon, I wasn't at the AGM perhaps it was Ken Rhodes you were talking to, I'm not a member of Aston Manor, We did take 174 to an open day and I chatted to a few people then. This is one of the odd things about the internet its quite possible to rub shoulders with someone you regularly converse with via the 'net' and would not know them from Adam in reality!

This link should (fingers crossed) take you to some of my group photos.........Best wishes Bill
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48235702@N06/sets/72157625055925737/

My husband's family were hawkers from Ruiton, selling salt licks around the country. On a visit to BCM a few years ago, I mentioned this to a volunteer at the Chemist shop. She said 'If you go to the school playground you will see a genuine, hawker's wagon, from Ruiton. It would not normally be on display but we recently had a procession and it hasn't yet been put away yet'. Of course we went over and were amazed to see how his ancestors had travelled and lived in these small wagons. Unbelievable. Anne

Next Saturday, 13th September there is a celebration of two special centenaries, West Bromwich buses and Guy Motors Ltd. West Brom buses were a familiar sight working into Birmingham and the Birmingham City Transport fleet featured large numbers of Guy buses. There is a gathering of lots of vintage buses at the museum on the day with a chance to travel on many of them around the site. I will be travelling over for it.

Simon

Next Saturday, 13th September there is a celebration of two special centenaries, West Bromwich buses and Guy Motors Ltd. West Brom buses were a familiar sight working into Birmingham and the Birmingham City Transport fleet featured large numbers of Guy buses. There is a gathering of lots of vintage buses at the museum on the day with a chance to travel on many of them around the site. I will be travelling over for it.

Simon

I will be there to Simon, there should be around five ex West Bromwich buses there. I hope you enjoy it.

I will be there to Simon, there should be around five ex West Bromwich buses there. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Bill, I have met you a couple of times this year at Aston Manor, Wolverhampton & the BCLM but will make sure to introduce myself properly next time!! Looking forward to Saturday.

Simon

Thanks Bill, I have met you a couple of times this year at Aston Manor, Wolverhampton & the BCLM but will make sure to introduce myself properly next time!! Looking forward to Saturday.

Simon

Make sure you do Simon, I have no idea how many Guys are likely to turn up but it should be a pleasant day.:unconscious:

Just seen a trailer for the new BBC series 24 hours in the past where various "celebrities" have to live as people did in the past (apparently starts 28th april) At least one episode is obviously in the Black Country museum).

Last edited:
This coming weekend, 9th & 10th July is Black Country Weekend and the Newcomen engine will also be in steam. I plan on going on the Saturday myself and spending the day there, hopefully catching up with some friends in the transport group, enjoying the atmosphere and having a pint of ale in the Bottle and Glass :)

Simon

Back