• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

Canal Arm - Lord Ward's Arm

View to the Canalside Cafe

Black Country Living Museum - canal arm - Canalside Cafe by ell brown, on Flickr

View from the Canal Street Bridge - narrowboats and on the left Rolling Mill

Black Country Living Museum - canal arm - Rolling Mill - various narrowboats by ell brown, on Flickr

Rolling Mill and Stour

Black Country Living Museum - canal arm - Rolling Mill by ell brown, on Flickr

Crane and Fellows. Clayton & Morton - Peacock No 102

Black Country Living Museum - canal arm - Rolling Mill - Crane - Fellows. Morton & Clayton Ltd - Peacock No 102 and Bessie by ell brown, on Flickr

Rolling Mill and Anchor Forge

Black Country Living Museum - canal arm - Rolling Mill and Anchor Forge by ell brown, on Flickr

Fantastic photos Ell, it has been 8 or 9 years since our last visit, I'm surprised how many more shops and businesses have been erected in that time. Must try and get there again soon. It has developed amazingly since I first went some 20 odd years ago.

Thanks Sylvia.

They are always adding new bits. Apparently "Old Birmingham Road" is the latest addition. With places like that Fish & Chip restaurant and other shops.

Places like Rolfe Street Baths, was dismantled brick by brick in 1989 on Rolfe Street in Smethwick, then 10 years later in 1999 rebuilt, then opened with new entrance in 2000.

They seem to save old buildings at there original location (across the Black Country) were falling apart and needed urgent repairs and restoration.

I was there in June for the second time and it had grown a lot since 1996 when I was first there. Great photos ell, So far I have never managed to be there when they were operating the beautiful double deck tram!! The trolleybuses appear to still be out of use too. The canal trip was a great experience.

The double deck tram was a great experience, but they need at least 3 volunteers to be able to use the top deck. One time we had to wait for it to make a journey with just the bottom deck as they only had two volunteers, but I assume that they returned with 3.

Heres a few more photos of the tram

Black Country Living Museum - Tram 49 by ell brown, on Flickr

Black Country Living Museum - Tram 49 by ell brown, on Flickr

Overhead cables

Black Country Living Museum - Tram 49 - Overhead cables by ell brown, on Flickr

They move the pole so they can return the other way

Black Country Living Museum - Tram 49 - Overhead cables and pole by ell brown, on Flickr

They weren't running the trolley buses the day we went, but assume they run on other days.

Nice photos thanks. The trolleybuses have been off service since a large section of the overhead was nicked a while back but maybe have returned by now.

Interestingly Blackpool's double deck "Balloon" trams also need a crew of three (motorman + 2 conductors) as there has to someone to operate the doors.

Very disappointing news to start the New Year with but I have been informed that both the tram and the trolleybus service have been suspended until further notice. The tram track has become very poor in recent times and was condemned at a recent inspection, this was (I think) the only narrow gauge heritage tramway in the country and it looks as though only major track renewal will see it re-opening.

The situation with the trolleybuses is harder to explain but it appears it centres around their asbestos content which is minimal and is safely contained and complies with all legal and safety regulations. Their withdrawal appears to be yet another unfortunate management decision.

I travelled on both in October and i'm so glad I did as the next opportunity might be a long time away. They are replaced with a motor bus service, hopefully something of suitable heritage rather than the modern Ford Transit "mock up". The BCM is said to be in financial crisis with falling visitor numbers which will only drop further without the attractions of the trams and trolleybuses.

This is one of my favourite museums and hopefully somebody can give us a bit more positive news than what I heard yesterday.

Simon

This is such sad news. We travelled both ways last Summer and couldn't have managed without this transport! It was quite crowded that day. Parking charges as well as admission don't help though.
rosie.

I took myself the wife and a couple of grandchildren out to the BCLM on a very cold April day last year, well at least it wasn't overcrowded but there was still a queue at the chippy as usual. It's true what has been stated that the tram tracks are in a very poor state in places. Another good thing was we got on the canal tunnel trip under the limestone hills without queuing for ages.

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 24
oh dear simon this is sad news indeed and i really do hope that they will get the tram and trolly bus up and running again in the future..i went twice last year and travelled on both..ive been to the mueum about 6 times over the years and every year it gets better as they are adding buildings..this is a wonderful museum with volunteer staff and for what you get i think the admission charges are very good and i dont think there are many places where you can park all day for £2.50...last year i paid £12 for an hour on a steam train in cornwall and was not impressed with it..

phil ive done the limestone tunnels 3 times..but have not been down the mine yet...will hopefully do that this year..nice photos phil..

lyn
Ticket type
On the door
Adults
£15.50
£13.95
Concessions*
£12.40
£11.15
Young people (5-16 years)
£8.25
£7.45
Children aged 0-4

Free​
Family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 young people)
£42.00
£37.80
Carer
£7.75
£6.95
Car parking

£2.50​
Group rates are available for parties of 15 or more

Last edited:
It's always best to book tickets for anywhere online as they are often discounted. When you pay for entry to the BCLM you are paying for 12 months membership which allows free return entrance at any time.

Very disappointing news to start the New Year with but I have been informed that both the tram and the trolleybus service have been suspended until further notice. The tram track has become very poor in recent times and was condemned at a recent inspection, this was (I think) the only narrow gauge heritage tramway in the country and it looks as though only major track renewal will see it re-opening.

The situation with the trolleybuses is harder to explain but it appears it centres around their asbestos content which is minimal and is safely contained and complies with all legal and safety regulations. Their withdrawal appears to be yet another unfortunate management decision.

I travelled on both in October and i'm so glad I did as the next opportunity might be a long time away. They are replaced with a motor bus service, hopefully something of suitable heritage rather than the modern Ford Transit "mock up". The BCM is said to be in financial crisis with falling visitor numbers which will only drop further without the attractions of the trams and trolleybuses.

This is one of my favourite museums and hopefully somebody can give us a bit more positive news than what I heard yesterday.

Simon

Hello Simon,
as one of the Transport Group members at the BCLM perhaps I can explain exactly what is happening. I don't want to comment about the trams as all that can be said has been said.
The trolley buses should be back in operation in the spring , they would not normally be in operation during the winter anyway but as mentioned asbestos has been identified on all three vehicles. This is in the form of cemented asbestos ie exactly the same material that will be found in the soffits of virtually every house in the country that was built up until surprisingly recent times and providing it is in good condition is not regarded as hazardous.

The museum acted in a responsible manner and sought advice from consultants who first confirmed that the material was asbestos and then very wisely, in my opinion, suggested the panels that are in good condition be sealed with a suitable material for this purpose and the remainder be replaced with a modern fireproof material. Most of the asbestos is in the contactor boxes situated in the cab and are only opened for maintenance and there is some asbestos mounted between the cab roof and the two circuit breakers on one vehicles and the other has two open ended 'boxes' that would act as a flash container in the event of a flash over from one of the breakers. Once these modifications have been carried out the buses should be back in service.
Ex Wolverhampton 433 has been and in fact still is subject to a complete overhaul of its steering and braking system and as I type this there is still a considerable amount of its brakes hubs and linkages on the floor of the workshop at the BCLM, in fact the only 'fly in the ointment' might be problems with one of its hydraulic brake cylinders which has suffered a broken bleed nipple. So fingers crossed that come the spring both 433 and 862 will be back in use and saving the Museum a small fortune in fuel costs!

Thanks for the update Bill. Time I visited again methinks.

Bernard

Many thanks Bill. My information came from an outside source and I was hoping you would come back with more positive news so thanks again for that. I travelled on 433 back in October, did a few runs and thoroughly enjoyed it. The conductor did in fact refer to the brakes when we were chatting!! I had been on 862 on my previous visit so good to be able to sample both. Exploring the depot was most interesting too, cursed my luck that West Bromwich Daimler 174 was in the back corner so I couldn't get a proper photo but will catch up with it again. I met you briefly Bill (at least I think it was you!) at the Aston Manor AGM at Aldridge a few days later....

Thanks again

Simon

Back