• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country Museum 40s day

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went to this (day only, not evening event), which was very well attended, probably over 30% dressed appropriately (not me though). Was a bit confused at the high proportion of the "military" contingent who sported red berets, which I had thought were only used by the paras, but which seem to be combined with every type of soldier's uniform, including some "American". Following are some photos taken at the day

P1010276A.jpgP1010278A.jpgP1010284A.jpgP1010285A.jpgP1010287A.jpgP1010290A.jpg

Mike - according to Wiki the paras wear maroon berets and the red beret is military police.This seems to apply to lots of countries including American troops..

Love these forties events, went to the one at Arley station a couple of years ago and it was a great day, thanks for the photos there awesome

Thanks. Should have said maroon. Definitely not the red of mps. So the US ones were OK. Not sure about some of the others though.

I
Thanks. Should have said maroon. Definitely not the red of mps. So the US ones were OK. Not sure about some of the others though.
Thank you Mikejee, great photo's, what a great effort was put into the dress that day. I would love to have been part of it!
I have fond memories of a visit to the Black Country Museum in 2001 with my sister and brother-in-law when we visited family in the UK.
Wendy

Lovely photos Mike, thank you. I like the one with the Red Cross cycle/ambulance, I didn't know such things existed!
rosie.

great photos mike...as you know a dodgy knee prevented me from attending this year but ive got my yearly pass so hope to go soon...already been once this year..a couple got married there on sat at the church dressed in 40s wedding dress and suit...ive seen a photo taken by my son in laws parents and the couple look lovely:) once again i say hats off to the bclm they are doing a wonderful job of preserving their historical buildings and of course we have more to come during the next couple of years..they had a vision all those years ago and it has not ended yet...cant wait..

lyn

Lyn
I did see someone in a wedding dress, but did not realise that it was a real wedding. Perhaps that is why there was such a queue at the pub, they were all getting in the drinks to celebrate

mike i will have to ask son in laws parents but i think it could have been that the couple were just having their wedding photos taken at the museum...either way its a nice touch...hoping to get the photo of them later on so i will post it on here

lyn

The methodist chapel is consecrated, so presumably it would be possible to have it there

Thanks for the photos Mike.

What a real success story this is. I visited there in 1984 and, although I could see what a good idea it was at the time, I had no idea it could be this successful. Just shows you what hard work and creative ideas can do to get people engaged in their history. (And of course some funding and a decent chippy !). A joy to see, Viv.

Forgot to say, the lady on the tram (second photo post #1) looks like Ruth Goodman, historian. Viv.

Yes, Viv, she does look a bit like her, but I think the woman here looked younger than
Ruth

Mike, this is the first year we've missed for some time. We had to go somewhere else but we were sorry no to go.
We met the policemen in your first set of photos last year on the old bus. He suggested we went to Sheringham for their 40's weekend but the atmosphere wasn't a patch on the BCLM so we're hoping to return their next year.

We tried the wartime weekend at Cheltenham this year in April and that was interesting so may go again.

Back