• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

black country lass !!!

F

flame

Hi all, ive just started out on my family tree (doing mothers side first as dads are welsh and bit harder to find) I was born in oldbury, my parents and grandparents west bromwich, recently found out my grt grandmother was a tiptoner, waiting for marriage cert of grt grt grandparents:D
got wright, barnfield,hall and evans on my mothers side so far
happy hunting love flame:p

Thanks for the warm welcome, im looking forward to finding out where i come from and who my family are, have you started looking for any of your welsh relatives yet?
i found details of my dads mom and dad but thats it so far, the wales bmd that i found was better for north than south (mine are south)so i thought ide leave it till i found moms first, cheersxx

Welcome to the Forum Flame. Hope you do well with your research.

Ann

Welcome - My grandfather came from South Wales - surname Lewis! I feel like giving up before I start :cry:, I thought the other side was from North Wales but have now found several generations in Aston that started out in West Bromwich, Cradley, Kingswinford and Shropshire! finding lots of new places but now need a nice friendly site like this for staffordshire/shropshire:).

Good luck with your searches.

Hi everyone, wow, what a welcome, thank you xx
Got a question for mand if thats ok? Im following the trail of the wright family that at the moment seem to come from tipton in about 1890, does that ring any bells with you?
Also with my dads side, his name is francis, my nan was a hughes, she from swansea and grandad from pontypridd, they got married in 1933. Ive been told, how true it is i dont know, that relatives on my nans side were mayors of tenby, north wales bmd is a good site but the south wales one doesnt seem to show the same info:(

Hi Flame,
My grandad was born in Abercynon which comes under Pontypridd and I have just sent for his parents marriage certificate, I got the information needed from the freebmd web site. I also got a lot of local history by just googling the village name its amazing what comes up.
With regards to the Wrights - my gggrandmother was born in Birmingham in 1860 her mother was Jane Wright but I don't know where she was born but possibly West Bromwich. Her father was Benjamin Wright.
Hope this helps.
Mand

Hi mand, thanks for your reply, because im looking for black country relatives, the west mids bmd only covers dudley, sandwell and walsall i think, not so much the birmingham areas, and wright, as im finding out was a very common name, barnfield on the other hand isnt (thank goodness, lol!!):)
The welsh link sounds interesting, when i tapped in my grandparents info, it gave the maiden name of their mothers, buckby was my nans mom and john was my grandads, its the cost of the certs thats stopping me from sending off for all of them:cry:
So im doing it one line at a time, happy hunting xx:biggrin:

Hi mag, yes, thats the site i was looking for , for south wales, north has one (its the one i go on for west mids):)I joined a bmd service where it costs you a credit each time you look up a 3 month section of each year, cost me a fortune!! So was over the moon to find these free ones
thanks again for your help:biggrin:

Got it!! thank you, i clicked off that one a few days ago because it wasnt the same as the others:rolleyes:
Now all i need is a site that provides free certs and im laughing all the way to the top of my family tree:D
Thanks again xxxx

Back