• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Books: Black country cinemas & theatres

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't really recommend these two books, as i haven't seen them (they are not published yet ), but I thought I should note their publication, as I know there are a few people interested here in cinemas, and possibly some in theatres, and the Black Country does spill over a bit into Birmingham
See https://www.nedwilliams.co.uk/booklaunch.php

img171.jpg
This was in todays newspaper. I have put it on this thread because it is/was a Black Country Theatre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Ned,s launch of both the books, the theatre history of the area is new to me and fascinating, the cinema book is an update of Ned,s earlier book, which I also have, that was originally published in around 1984. To be honest Im not at all suprised the Hippodrome is going to be demolished with, what seems to be Dudley Councils blessing.

The only thing Dudley council are capable of is giving building permission to build countless houses without making any thought into the additional road traffic and extra load on the areas infrasctructure and then belly aching about it after. Presumably these developers must be lubricating a few back pockets somewhere, in fact I suspect Dudley Councils planning department, and I use the term "Planning" loosly, is headed by a 12 year old school kid.

As for preserving the areas heritage the council is one big joke, at the moment there is a building of significant historical interest in Stourbridge that is falling down, this is the foundry where the first steam locomotive to run in America was built, they appear to have no interests in this building.

Hello Bill, it is the same in Birmingham, countless building in good condition and of really nice design have been flattened and replaced with what some people call ICONIC buildings. In my opinion these new buildings do not fit in with, or match their surroundings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back