• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country awarded UNESCO Geopark status

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know they were working towards it, it being awarded for having a combination of geological items (such as the Wrens nest), together with its historical industrial importance and its museums

I know they were working towards it, it being awarded for having a combination of geological items (such as the Wrens nest), together with its historical industrial importance and its museums

I am so excited about this award for the Black Country. My husband and I have taken our two grandsons to the area in Wrens Nest where you can see the result of what happened millions of years ago. The ‘vertical beach’ is amazing, showing the ripples of the sand etc., we always come back home with fascinating fossils. The boys love it there. I am just proud for the Black Country to be given this award. The canal system is wonderful too.
Jen

totally agree with you jeanette...along with places like the black country museum they have always strived so hard to preserve their history...birmingham should have taken a leaf out of their book many years ago...well done to the people of the black country..

lyn

I am so excited about this award for the Black Country. My husband and I have taken our two grandsons to the area in Wrens Nest where you can see the result of what happened millions of years ago. The ‘vertical beach’ is amazing, showing the ripples of the sand etc., we always come back home with fascinating fossils. The boys love it there. I am just proud for the Black Country to be given this award. The canal system is wonderful too.
Jen

A walk around the Wren’s Nest and nearby...

I can’t believe that we have this on our doorstop, loved watching the video. Thank you Pedrocut. We have done the walks through Dudley many times and since lockdown we have found some amazing scenery around the Saltwells in Netherton, you wouldn’t think you were in an industrial area.
Jen

I can’t believe that we have this on our doorstop, loved watching the video. Thank you Pedrocut. We have done the walks through Dudley many times and since lockdown we have found some amazing scenery around the Saltwells in Netherton, you wouldn’t think you were in an industrial area.
Jen

How true, exactly the impression we got...."you wouldn’t think you were in an industrial area.

A 7.5m circular walk in November 2005 from Saltwells Wood, via the Church of St Andrew at Netherton, Dudley No.1 Canal, Merry Hill, Pensnett Pools, Church of St Mark, Barrow Hill Trig Point and the SSSI at Daulton Claypits.

Back