• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishopsgate Street

glad you like that one then charlie...i take it the william st is not the one that was in lozells..or was it....lol

lyn

charlie..ive got a few more of bishopsgate do you want them...also one of court 7 william st...im not sure if you have that one already...

lyn

charlie i will put these on now for you as i will be out for a while tomorrow...

lyn

all pics courtesy of carl chinn

They're lovely Lyn., thanks a lot. I have a rellie in Canada that will be thrilled to bits to see these photos. William Street is the one off Bishopsgate Street. Thanks again
Charlie x

Hello Astoness,fantastic photo's once again.Memories flood back,the pub on the left looking towards Broad st was the first my aunt and uncle managed.Mary

glad you both like them...charlie i am posting this one..apologies if ive posted it before it seems familar and me memory is not what it used to be....court 7 william st..

I went out with a bloke called billy evans and his brother colin who lived in bishopsgate street in 1960's.colin had a motorbike and we used to bomb down to stratford upon avon .to meet with other bikers and the weir....colin looked like a young john lennon ....billy was a brilliant dancer .we met at the west end ballroom.in birmingham..the holiday inn is built on the site now ....anyone remember barbara knight my dance partner at west end ,,,wonder where she is now .she lived opposite the brook pub behind the bank ,bournbrook nr selly oak,...
Good times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Dad (Alf Bennett DOB 1925) was born opposite the leather handbag factory where the lady is standing in the archway. His mum (Elizabeth nee Summerfield) lived with her mum (Maria Livingstone) in the Court to the rear of the house. I know its a long time ago but does anyone remember them? There was a wash house and copper in the corner of the Court yard, a row of toilets and a gas lamp-post in the middle (great for swinging on). No-one had much (mid 1950's when WWII rationing had only just finished), but what you had you shared because you never knew when it would be your turn to go without. I know this for a fact because one Sunday I was obliged to eat two sunday lunches, one without warning at my friend's house up another entry, and another when I got back to my grandma's, oblivious to the fact that I had already fed my face!!! Innocent and Carefree Days...

What was the name of the pub on the corner of Bishopgate St and William St i,ts got a new name i have forgotten i,ts old one. Dek

It seems to have been the Kings Arms on the corner of Bishopsgate st and William St

It was Coronation Day when my father, Bert Kelsall, sat me on the bar in the Kings Arms and gave me a banana. Then back into Bishops Avenue to watch the ceremony on a 9inch telly !
I was born in Bishops Avenue, No7, just after the war. My Great Grandma Round who previously lived there would tell me her chidhood memories of when she went to see Buffalo Bills Wild West Show.
Does anyone remember Bisops Avenue, the air raid shelters. The hardware shop in Astoness' photo's was on one corner and a grocers on the other. Opposite the Kings Arms.
Regards Paul

Back