• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bishop Vesey and his Grammar School.

Mr Kerry Osbourne of Sutton Coldfield, Clerk to the Board of Governors of BVGS, is the author of the following works:
A History of Bishop Vesey's Grammar School: The First 375 Years (1527-1902). Birmingham: by Renault Printing Co Ltd, [circa 1990]. ISBN 09516 21602.

A History of Bishop Vesey's Grammar School: The Twentieth Century. Sutton Coldfield: Sadler House, [circa 2000]. ISBN 09516 21610.
I received my copies of these today. They are comprehensive, well researched and scholarly histories, profusely illustrated with photographs and plans, and drawings by John Griffin. In many ways they make this thread redundant, though many of our illustrations are new. But I will use them to make corrections and additions to my earlier contributions, and post additional snippets from time to time. If anyone has specific queries, I am happy to look up the answers.

My first update will be to the list of headmasters (post #21).

Those of us who owe a debt to BVGS for providing much of our education will find Kerry Osbourne's two excellent books an essential addition to the bookshelf. We are lucky to have them available and I wonder if there are equivalents dealing with other West Midlands schools. They are well researched and written and very detailed.

Having said that there is still plenty of scope within this thread for discussion on many aspects of the School's history. In my day there were around 100 pupils a year going through, as well as a turnover of teaching staff, and that all mounts up over the decades. Let's hope that the contributions (both from ex-pupils who are also BHF members and anyone else) will continue to trickle through.

Here's one story which doesn't appear in the official histories. Bill Hudspith was a Modern Languages teacher. He didn't teach me but our stay at the School overlapped.

William Hudspith (1912 - 2003) taught French and Geography at BVGS between 1932 and 1946. During the war he was active in Civil Defence and the Home Guard in Sutton. But there was rather more to Bill Hudspith's war than was realised by any of his teaching colleagues at the school or by the several hundred pupils. A remarkable story gradually unfolded in the post-war years and it was summarised within his obituary notice in the Summer 2003 issue of the "Old Veseyan News", the magazine for past pupils.

G.F. writes that Bill Hudspith's first teaching appointment, after graduating from London University, was at Bishop Vesey's.

"....When World War II broke out Bill was not quite twenty-seven. Along with many of the younger masters, he was eager to join up for active service. When he was called up, however, they noted his French degrees and tried him out on some Frenchmen. On these occasions he "became French" and could fool anyone. He was then told to carry on teaching and that, when they needed him, he would be called. His training was quite strenuous and he was pleased to find that he had become a perfect shot, which was an asset when on his many missions working with the French resistance. Sometimes he was dropped by parachute and sometimes by Lysander planes and then picked up by the French and guided to safe houses. Bill always felt sorry for the French people where he and the others operated. It was not always the Germans that you had to fear, but the French collaborators.

On one occasion the objective was to destroy a major German ammunition dump. "The sentries were green, young troops. We just slit their throats and went in and detonated the whole works," Bill said. He felt very sorry for the people in the neighbourhood having to endure this major explosion. On another occasion, he was saved by a young woman who sheltered him in her cottage, at great risk to herself, until the coast was clear. Six weeks later, the Germans shot her. Bill never got over that.

Some years after the war, Bill's exploits were recognized when he had tea with the Queen and, in France, he was awarded the Croix de Guerre and Les Palmes Academique.

When absent from school for training and on missions, his cover was provided by his being in the Home Guard. On his return to school one time, looking much the worse for wear, his fellow French teacher, "Patchy" Watkinson, said, "What DID they do to you on that course?
"........"​

Bill Hudspith went on to a distinguished career in teaching and spent the latter part of his life in Canada. What a man!​

(With grateful acknowledgement to the "Old Veseyan" magazine).

Chris

Last edited:
... there is still plenty of scope within this thread for discussion on many aspects of the School's history. In my day there were around 100 pupils a year going through, as well as a turnover of teaching staff, and that all mounts up over the decades. Let's hope that the contributions (both from ex-pupils who are also BHF members and anyone else) will continue to trickle through ...

Well said, Chris. With almost 500 years of history, there must be many many stories that escaped Mr Osbourne's notice, or had to be omitted for reasons of space.

And thanks for sharing that fascinating account of the remarkable Bill Hudspith, the young BVGS teacher who "donned the beret" in WW2.

Mr Hudspith was truly multi-talented. Mr Osbourne records that in 1937 the BVGS Operatic Society performed the Gilbert and Sullivan classic Iolanthe at Sutton Town Hall, as a contribution to local celebrations of the coronation of King George VI. Bill Hudspith played and sang (in baritone) the part of Strephon the Arcadian shepherd.

Last edited:
Chris how facinating what a brave man with such a history. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I only went to the school for choir practice well it was a boys school then..lol

Thylacine I thought I had bored everyone with this my TV debut. I was in the school choir at Arthur Terry School in Kittoe Road Four Oaks. Some of us were chosen to appear in Songs Of Praise which was being recorded at Bishop Vesey School. This would have been when I was about 13 in 1966. We had to go to rehearsals at Bishop Vesey every Sunday for six weeks. It was quite a walk from where I lived. The program went out in black and white while we were visiting my aunt and uncle in Edge Hill. They put on the TV and there we were singing our hearts out. There was a close up of me at which point my mother nearly dropped her tea.

Here is the BVGS coat of arms, which was adopted in 1934 following research by William Carter (Chairman of the Dugdale Society) and Reverend F A Homer (Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries). Heraldically it consists of the arms of the See of Exeter impaling those of Vesey. The new motto "Dextra Dei Exaltavit Me" (the right hand of God has exalted me) replaced "Dominus Mihi Adjutor" (the Lord is my helper).

[Sources: BVGS website (coat of arms); Osbourne's History of BVGS Volume 2 (text).]

Last edited:
A German Visitor to Sutton 1782.

In 1782, the young German author Karl Philipp Moritz (1756-1793) toured England on foot, and later published a memoir of his travels: Reisen eines Deutschen in England im Jahr 1782 (Berlin: Friedrich Maurer, 1783). He spent a night in Sutton Coldfield at the Swan (see post #1), and his enthusiastic account of the visit makes fascinating reading (especially as the school is mentioned):
The road from Birmingham onwards is not very agreeable, being in general uncommonly sandy. Yet the same evening I reached a little place called Sutton, where everything, however, appeared to be too grand for me to hope to obtain lodgings in it, till quite at the end of it I came to a small inn with the sign of the Swan, under which was written Aulton, brickmaker.

This seemed to have something in it that suited me, and therefore I boldly went into it; and when in I did not immediately, as heretofore, inquire if I could stay all night there, but asked for a pint of ale. I own I felt myself disheartened by their calling me nothing but master, and by their showing me into the kitchen, where the landlady was sitting at a table and complaining much of the toothache. The compassion I expressed for her on this account, as a stranger, seemed soon to recommend me to her favour, and she herself asked me if I would not stay the night there? To this I most readily assented; and thus I was again happy in a lodging for another night.

The company I here met with consisted of a female chimney-sweeper and her children, who, on my sitting down in the kitchen, soon drank to my health, and began a conversation with me and the landlady.

She related to us her history, which I am not ashamed to own I thought not uninteresting. She had married early, but had the hard luck to be soon deprived of her husband, by his being pressed as a soldier. She neither saw nor heard of him for many years, so concluded he was dead. Thus destitute, she lived seven years as a servant in Ireland, without any one's knowing that she was married. During this time her husband, who was a chimney-sweeper, came back to England and settled at Lichfield, resumed his old trade, and did well in it. As soon as he was in good circumstances, he everywhere made inquiry for his wife, and at last found out where she was, and immediately fetched her from Ireland. There surely is something pleasing in this constancy of affection in a chimney-sweeper. She told us, with tears in her eyes, in what a style of grandeur he had conducted her into Lichfield; and how, in honour to her, he made a splendid feast on the occasion. At this same Lichfield, which is only two miles from Sutton, and through which she said the road lay which I was to travel to-morrow, she still lived with this same excellent husband, where they were noted for their industry, where everybody respected them, and where, though in the lowest sphere, they are passing through life neither uselessly nor unhappily.

The landlady, during her absence, told me as in confidence, that this chimney-sweeper's husband, as meanly as I might fancy she now appeared, was worth a thousand pounds, and that without reckoning in their plate and furniture, that he always wore his silver watch, and that when he passed through Sutton, and lodged there, he paid like a nobleman.

She further remarked that the wife was indeed rather low-lived; but that the husband was one of the best-behaved, politest, and civilest men in the world. I had myself taken notice that this same dingy companion of mine had something singularly coarse and vulgar in her pronunciation. The word old, for example, she sounded like auld. In other respects, I had not yet remarked any striking variety or difference from the pronunciation of Oxford or London.

To-morrow the chimney-sweeper, said she, her husband, would not be at home, but if I came back by the way of Lichfield, she would take the liberty to request the honour of a visit, and to this end she told me her name and the place of her abode.

At night the rest of the family, a son and daughter of the landlady, came home, and paid all possible attention to their sick mother. I supped with the family, and they here behaved to me as if we had already lived many years together.

Happening to mention that I was, if not a scholar, yet a student, the son told me there was at Sutton a celebrated grammar-school, where the school-master received two hundred pounds a year settled salary, besides the income arising from the scholars.

And this was only in a village. I thought, and not without some shame and sorrow, of our grammar-schools in Germany, and the miserable pay of the masters.

When I paid my reckoning the next morning, I observed the uncommon difference here and at Windsor, Nettlebed, and Oxford. At Oxford I was obliged to pay for my supper, bed, and breakfast at least three shillings, and one to the waiter. I here paid for my supper, bed, and breakfast only one shilling, and to the daughter, whom I was to consider as chambermaid, fourpence; for which she very civilly thanked me, and gave me a written recommendation to an inn at Lichfield, where I should be well lodged, as the people in Lichfield were, in general, she said, very proud. This written recommendation was a masterpiece of orthography, and showed that in England, as well as elsewhere, there are people who write entirely from the ear, and as they pronounce. In English, however, it seems to look particularly odd, but perhaps that may be the case in all languages that are not native.

I took leave here, as one does of good friends, with a certain promise that on my return I would certainly call on them again.
[Sources: Osbourne's History of BVGS (Volume 1) alerted me to the story. The text is from Travels in England in 1782 (London: Cassell, 1886) pages 137-140. The portrait of Moritz is by C F Rehberg circa 1790 (Wikimedia Commons).]

For many years I took the sixth form option group who wished to train for their bronze medallion life saving award or would examine those who had been trained by someone else. When that was out of the way I would do a bit of syncronised swimming with the girls and often the lads would join in for a laugh. Well I think it was for a laugh?. Jean.

Errr... no photos of that would still be available I don't suppose would they Jeannie? For money even? Well, you can't blame a bloke for asking... And to think my son Iain left Vesey after O levels, and went to Sixth Form at Cadbury College to do his As, as he didn't like the constant bullying because of his Brummie roots and accent; so he missed out on Cat Deeley and Jean's swimming lessons. How unlucky was that?

Last edited:
Charles Barker (circa 1793 - 1842) was headmaster of BVGS from 30 October 1817 to 19 October 1842 (when he died in a tragic accident). He was perhaps the worst headmaster in the school's history: by the middle of 1840 enrolment had fallen to just one pupil. Barker was however something of a poet, and extolled the virtues of Sutton Park and "the chase" in a poem which includes the following verses:
Before us winds the rural way
Across yon stream with alders gay,
Up yonder gorse-crowned hill:
Yet press not on with careless haste:
Nor without pensive thought be past
The former glories of the waste
And charms that haunt it still.

See to the left how plays the breeze
On the steep mound and towering trees,
Whence oft the royal John,
With hound and horn and hunting spears,
Sallied to rouse these woodland lairs,
And in the chase forgot the cares
That only kings have known.

In Nuthurst's windings would you stray,
Or o'er wild heath and length'ning way
That leads to Rowton Well?
Pellucid fount! what annual scores
Thy stream to cleanliness restores
The scribbled post may tell!
How many Smiths and Joneses came
And left to thee their votive name,
How many more had done the same
Only they could not spell!
[Source: Osbourne's History of Bishop Vesey's Grammar School. Can anyone find the whole poem and discover where and when it was first published?]

How lovely I hope someone can find the whole poem. Do you know what the accident was that killed him?

Wendy, Kerry Osbourne describes Mr Barker's demise thus:
[T]hings completely changed on 17th October 1842 when Barker's horse arrived back at the School House stables without its rider and later that day Barker was found dead in the road. The thought "Did he fall or was he pushed?" must have occurred to the more cynically minded; Barker's removal from the scene was of considerable benefit to the progress of the School and may even have prevented its extinction.
[I'll post a short biography of Charles Barker later.]

... my son Iain left Vesey after O levels ... as he didn't like the constant bullying because of his Brummie roots and accent ...

Dennis, I'm sorry to hear that your son was the victim of bullying, which is an insidious problem in many schools (and other institutions). Kerry Osbourne's only reference to it is in the following extract from the 1999 Governors' Annual Report to Parents:
Bullying. The Governors are determined that bullying should not become a major issue in the School and they support the staff in their efforts to this end.
Weasel words perhaps, but at least they were acknowledging the existence of of the evil. My roots and accent were also Brummie, but I don't remember being bullied about it. In my time at BVGS the teachers and prefects were very strict, and one or two of them were themselves bullies (at least by today's standards). This may have induced solidarity amongst the younger boys!

Both my sons attended this school too. One until the sixth form, and did well, the other for just over a year - he was very unhappy and the victim of bullying. Had his glasses smashed on his face once and another time was dumped into a rubbish skip! The head almost 'bust a gut' when we went and told him that we we had removed our son from the school. I remember his face was as red as the shirt he was wearing! Our son went on to be very happy (and did very well) at Wylde Green College.

I don' think for one minute it was specific to Vesey any more than at any other school Peter. Like you I never had any problems with my schooldays, but that was in the 50s. He went in the 80s and it was a totally different ball game then. He flourished anyway I'm glad to say. The pity is I (we) never spotted it as parents. He never 'confessed' until it was too late to act and he was well out of it. But that's kids isn't it? It didn't and doesn't now change my attitude to the School though, still thought it a magical place, and well staffed with superb facilities. Not KEGS Camp Hill but....you can'y have everything...etc. cough cough....

Hi Peter: Do you remember a chap called Keith McCulloch, who was at Bishop Vesey GS in the early to mid l960's? He was Valedictorian in his final year which I am not quite sure
which year that was. He is my cousin. My brother lives several hundred yards from Bishop Vesey GS and on recent visits I have walked by there countless times. I think the Old Swan was a restaurant once. I have walked down the road behind the GS and had a good look around the back. The photo Wendy posted showing the Old Swan and the school looks very much like the view today. There are a couple of sites for Old Veseyans on line.

Hi Jenny, I was just browsing my way through the forum when my old school BVGS jumped out at me. I was in the year below your cousin Keith McCulloch in the 60's and recall his exploits at full-back for the 1st XV rugby team. You see, there's always someone out there who remembers.........!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Richard:
Keith will be happy that he is remembered by you from BVGS. He lives a lot of the time in Asia these days and his English family home is in Hadley. His five children all grown up now. He came to Vancouver, where I live, several years ago for a business conference. I am in touch with his sister Jean who lives in Oldbury. His maternal grandmother, one of my father's sisters, lived down the road from my family and Keith spent a lot of his time growing up there.
I don't know if he is in touch via the BVGS web page.

Last edited:
Both my sons attended this school too. One until the sixth form, and did well, the other for just over a year - he was very unhappy and the victim of bullying. Had his glasses smashed on his face once and another time was dumped into a rubbish skip! The head almost 'bust a gut' when we went and told him that we we had removed our son from the school. I remember his face was as red as the shirt he was wearing! Our son went on to be very happy (and did very well) at Wylde Green College.
I am writing a family history of Walter Withers 1854-1914 (other posts). He mirgrated from England c1882 to Australia where took to landscape painting, being part of a group known as the Heidelberg School.
He attended, I believe, Bishop Vesey's School c1860s. The family story has it that he walked home in Handsworth from school when he aged 9. He flung open the front door and declared to his astonished father "I am never going back to that school." He never did, instead he studied nature in all her forms, and learnt his tables from the Great Western railway time table, which enabled him as a youth to visit many places. I guess he too was a victim of bullying.

My query: is there an extant photo of the school uniform from that period?
In my book I would love to include an image of a school boy from that period.

I am writing a family history of Walter Withers 1854-1914 (other posts). He mirgrated from England c1882 to Australia where took to landscape painting, being part of a group known as the Heidelberg School.
He attended, I believe, Bishop Vesey's School c1860s. The family story has it that he walked home in Handsworth from school when he aged 9. He flung open the front door and declared to his astonished father "I am never going back to that school." He never did, instead he studied nature in all her forms, and learnt his tables from the Great Western railway time table, which enabled him as a youth to visit many places. I guess he too was a victim of bullying.
My query: is there an extant photo of the school uniform from that period?
In my book I would love to include an image of a school boy from that period.

I notice Josiah Wright was headmaster about the time Walter Withers walked out of school. Any clues as to his identity and character?
With thanks

Thanks Janice, good idea. I have since found that school uniforms were not in use till mid Victorian England, so maybe BVGS didn't have one c1863.

Back