• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BISF 'Tin Top Houses' In Birmingham

Marc

knowlegable brummie
Hello everyone
I turn to the Power of the BHF in a plea for any recollections relating to BISF (British Iron & Steel Federation) houses in the Birmingham area and surrounding districts.
shotton-pbucket.jpgp0000210.jpg

These post war houses commonly described as Prefabs or Tin Tops, are actually steel framed permanent houses built after the war due to the housing shortage. Unlike the common prefab, these houses were built on site using some prefabricated materials hence giving them that 'Prefab appearance'.

There are many of these houses dotted around Birmingham such as in Sheldon, Sutton Coldfield and Walsall as well as many other areas and around 35,000 across the country.
I am undertaking research into these houses and I have already constructed an information and resource website as untill now there was very little information available about them.

I would love to hear from original residents of these properties or even people who rember them being built and the use of prisoners of war to do so.
My biggest fear is that if we don't recorde and document some of these recollections, then a part of Birminghams and the countries history will be lost forever in the not too distant future.

It would be fantastic to hear from anyone who remembers the early days of Birminghams BISF Houses.:peaceful:

That's really interesting-shall look forward to replies!
I believe that they have something similar in Canley nr Coventry-I remember a friend finding it difficult to insure her house as they were called 'steel-framed'.
Her house is very cosy !

There were a row along the side of Pype Hayes park,near the Walmey border.All gone now I'm Afraid.

I price my cousin grew up in such a house but in Loughton not Brum.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Both,
There is a great thread on prefabs with pics and stories about them and people who lived in them. If you type prefabs into the search box in top right corner, scroll down the results and pick up the prefabs thread, I think you will find it really interesting.
Sue

I know of 2 on Birches Green estate. Last one was bricked over about 3 years ago. I don't know whether they took the steel down or left it there behind the bricks? I do know the house wasn't knocked down. Scaffolding was put up and within a month there was a brick built house. I see the owner know and then, I will ask him.

I have a feeling my son was once interested in buying one of these but was told he would have to have a Brick 'Veneer' added as others in the row had had done. I will check whether my memory is correct and if so where it was.

The cast iron house is made of 600 metal plates. Inside it looks no different thanan ordinary house

black_country_museum_035.JPG

Last edited:
There are still this type of house in Sheldon, if you put [FONT=Verdana, arial, helvetica, serif]Carnford Rd Sheldon. into Google maps, you can see them, some have been bricked over others remain the same with the metal still showing

Nick
[/FONT]

They had some of these houses in Cambridge, but about 7 yr's ago they decided to demolish them all in the SCDC area, there were a few in our village and the residents tried to stop the demolition but failed in the end, they loved them many living in them from the 40's and some cried when they had to leave, very sad!!!
paul

Back