• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birth & Marriage Look Up Please

AmericanBrummie

proper brummie kid
Hello,

I'm looking for information on the marriage of Henry Howell to a Mary circa 1825. Henry was born between 1799 and 1801, and died in 1859. Also looking for:
  • Birth of their children, particularly Catherine, around 1870.
  • Need names of Henry & Mary's parents & location of marriage
  • Place of burial for Henry & Mary
The cesuses show two addresses for the family, one is Cheapside in St Martins in 1841, and Court House, Allison Street, St Martins in 1861, in case that helps.

Thanks very much,
Ann-Marie

hi ann-marie, i think you may have got the birth of catherine wrong in your post (1870)???

anyway i had a look at the census for henry howell in 1841 and the family were not born in warwickshire.

nearest i can see on igi which may be your family is

henry howell marriage to mary parker on 17th june 1816 at st. martin, worcester.

theres a christening of catherine howell on 25 jan 1837 at st. martin, worc. parents henry and mary howell

also a chr. of james howell 28 may 1834 as above

and a chr. of anne howell 14 dec 1831 as above

also a chr. of richard howell 1 feb 1826 as above.

and a chr. of eliza howell 27 nov 1816 as above.

not sure if these are yours but certainly a good possibility.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes, sorry, Catherine Howell's DOB was 1837, so that might be the right Christening record.

Henry & Mary Howell's children were Maria (1828), Martha (1830), Ann(1831), and James (1832), as far as I know. So not sure if the Christening records you found are the right family, but I could be missing info on the children.

I know Mary Howell was born in Gravesend, Kent, rather than Warickshire. Henry Howell's records indicate birth in 'Birmingham.' Would they be buried there at St Martin's?

Also looking for records of a George Jordan born 1842 in Central Birmingham, probably near Aston, who later married Catherine Howell Jr born 1870. Would there be any record of this with you?

Thanks again!
Ann-Marie

hi ann-marie, as regards the births, yes i can see that not all the children i gave you were on the census, but some would have been older and left home or died. as they were married in 1816 there would be previous children that you didnt know about. on the 1841 census original copy, next to henry howell on the column for whether born in county, he and all the others say no.

i have found these possible christenings for your family

maria howell chr. 4 apr 1828 at st. helen, again in worcester
and henry howell chr. 18 may 1821 at st. helen, worc.
and martha howell chr. 9 mar 1831 at st. peter worc.

Hi Ann-Marie

Don't know if you have found Henry Howell's burial place but at Key Hill Cemetery buried in 1859 is Henry Howell Register number 14797

regards
Suzanne

Back