• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmngham Prison and Air Raids

Old Boy

master brummie
I have followed with interest the recent threads on life in prison and also the air raids. I myself submitted a post about air raid shelters.

It has now occurred to me "What about the prisoners during air raids?" I was a teenager throughout the war years living in Small Heath and, after we were bombed out, in South Yardley. We took shelter during the raids but often during a lull we would leave the shelter and look around to get some idea of what was happening. The place would be lit up by the fires and then we would hear the next wave of bombers approaching and quickly take shelter again

But what about the prisoners? As far as I know they were kept locked in their cells. It must have been dreadful for them to have to sit there listening to the bombers and knowing that if the prison was hit there was little they could do about it.

The worst thing about the raids was the noise. The sound of bombs falling, Then the explosions and ouir own guns banging way added to it all. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to be locked in a cell at the same time. does anyone else have thoughts or knowledge on this subject?

Old Boy

Back