• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's Working Horses

Does this method still work???Dek
Actually no - the reason it showed on Jeans PC would be that it was cached or otherwise linked. So Jean could see it but we could not. Fear not we will get her sorted.

img053.jpg

No information with this I am sorry to say.

:angel::angel::angel::angel:pete said "That's what you think". He's been trying for years.:angel::angel::angel::angel::angel:

I don't knowabout any body else but all thepics have gone, just a lot of small red crosses - to me anyway, they were there yesterday. Eric

Don't panic and please read Warren's message in Forum Questions and Answers.

hello.i remember the horse +cart with the churn on the cart.people would come out with a jug.etc..
The bridges on the stratford canel are split in two,so the ROPE from the horse to the boat could go between.saving time undoing the rope. from the horse.

jean i will have a look when the change over is done.at the moment i see nowt.
it was loverly when the rag man,the coal man,and the milk man come down the road,or street.they were so well behaved. THE HORSE THAT IS LOL. roses dont bloom the same now.

We used to rush out with our bucket and shovel to collect the horse manure for the garden. I used to look after my nans coal mans black horse in Franchise street. Happy days.

I have several more pictures of working horses in Birmingham which I have scanned ready for when the picture upload whatsit is working again.

Look forward to seeing those Stitcher - My Dad was a Milkie way back.

Hello David, my father always had horses in the early days of my childhood. Granddad Weaver had coal barges on the canal and dad used to empty them. He also had horses in the coalyard in Gladstone Street and I used to go down the stable with him to give the horse and apple while he curry combed it or polished the brasses. Lovely smells of horses all mixed up with Ansells Brewery with the occassional whiff coming over from Aston Cross HP Sauce factory. Regards, David

What lovely memories David and I just shut my eyes and breathed deeply. What a lovely place to grow up in those days. Jean.

img055.jpg

I have just realised that I posted the previous picture last week as well so I am attempting to change it for this one about the coalmen.
I understand that the Co-op had a warf in Acocks Green but I have no idea where other than it was on the canalside and that reminds me of Lesters in Lincoln Road. The canal gave direct access to the Cannock coal field.
stitcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher
They had a lot of coal yards in 1932 (year taken as guess) :
Office : 205 & 207 Inkerman street, Vauxhall (X N's Eastr,i7i & 1,172); coal wharves: Acock's ,Green, (T N,Acock's Green 13); Adderley park (T N Victoria 0539) ;Camp hill (TNVictoria0147) ; Erdington, (T N Erdington.0636); L. M. & S. Railway new wharf, St. Vincentstreet (T N Central 6106); Hagley road (T.N Edgbaston1776); Hall Green, Stratford road (T N Acock'sGreen 567); Handsworth (T N Nprthern 2474); Stationroad, Harborne,; Lawley street; Small heath (T N Victoria961); Soho Pool (T N Northern 3244) ; Station road,Stetchford (T N Stechford 470) ; Tyseley (T N Acock's'Green589); Astonlane,Witton (TN East 1158) ; LangleyGreen; Oldbury ; Solihull; Soho (TNSmethwick0513) & West Bromwich
Obviously some, like Harborne,Hagley road, Hall green cane eliminated
Mike

Back