• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's Image And Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonders why NEC profits cannot now be set aside to help future payments instead of selling the NEC off.

Also - the rest of us are picking up the council bill here again unfortunately.
I dont see why we should have to pay for it - and why should the pay be retrospectively back paid ?
Let the council find the money out of their own coffers - by reducing their own wage bill and getting rid of expensive contractors.

Wonders why NEC profits cannot now be set aside to help future payments instead of selling the NEC off.

Surely while the NEC itself may be owned by the council the company that runs the NEC is independent.

And they need their profits to reinvest in the business (such as extending the NIA which is going on right now)

As is the Norm seemingly these days Birmingham in the news for all the wrong reasons, It was a wonderful city to be brought up in when I was young, very sad .paul

Viv, you absolutely right; this is long overdue! Birmingham is a great city, I love this place, it's people, the culture and the heritage. Its out heritage that forms out culture, yet some how the people who make decisions about our heritage and out past, cannot not seem to get it right.

They wanted to rename part of the gun quarter, they shut down the Transport museum and we are honest, out museums could do a lot better when you compare them with those in other city's.

I hope this report just does not end up as the topic of another talking shop, and that we do take some positive steps to promote our past. I will get in touch with councillors Phil Davis, and have a chat about this.

I hope the document does come to some fruition.

It seems to me, from a respectable distance of course, that Birmingham has spent far too long trying to find an identity when it had a fantastic one staring it in the face already. A City of a 1000 trades was the slogan I remember seeing after WW2. Many places throughout the country have swept away much of their history but some places manage to make the best of what they have still got. I am sure Birmingham, given the right leadership, can do the same. Even Birmingham, Alabama, took its name from the industrial city in the English Midlands.

It does tend to suggest to me of places where people who have no real roots to the place and are the ones pushing the agenda of change. For instance many years ago, someone, in some position of spokemanship, suggested filling in the harbour of a famous Devon fishing village. That harbour is what the tourists come to see, amongst other things. :friendly_wink:

Mallorca has an old monastery on it northern coast where Chopin lived for only six months. He disliked the place and the inhabitants but the Spanish have made a highly successful tourist attraction of him and the former Monastery. I even made a special trip there to see his piano. :biggrin:

Viv, you absolutely right; this is long overdue! Birmingham is a great city, I love this place, it's people, the culture and the heritage. Its out heritage that forms out culture, yet some how the people who make decisions about our heritage and out past, cannot not seem to get it right.

They wanted to rename part of the gun quarter, they shut down the Transport museum and we are honest, out museums could do a lot better when you compare them with those in other city's.

I hope this report just does not end up as the topic of another talking shop, and that we do take some positive steps to promote our past. I will get in touch with councillors Phil Davis, and have a chat about this.

on the face of it a great idea...mort i will be interested in any updates you can get for us...

cheers

lyn

An observation. Having just typed a Google search for 'heart of the industrial revolution' I find that the only specific references that come up which are B'ham related are this forum (!), the B'ham Post article posted in post #1 and a Wiki reference (although not specifically referring to B'ham as at the heart of the revolution). Many of the other search results are for places claiming to be the 'heart'. It's a bit of an academic debate for sure, but it's definitely time for some serious promotion.

Hopefully there will be a website or some sorting out of internet search words to make sure that B'ham as the heart is up there on page one of search results. You can throw all the money you want at a brand, but if a simple net search doesn't find it you're wasting your time.

Viv.

I see the City of Birmingham has a new challenger to second city status. There is the ongoing question of Manchester but this matter of Hebden Bridge is something new. :biggrin:

Whilst Hebden Bridge has its own qualities I still maintain that the rightful place must still stay with Birmingham. The City has traditionally been acknowledged as our second City: newcomers are just tilting at windmills.
:friendly_wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26472423

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New challenge to the status pf Birmingham

The idea coming from come american who says that because the the frequency distribution of words follows a pattern, then the population of cities also should. This is about as convincing as the theory of Yudkin in the 1960s that the consumption of sugar increases in proportion to the number of TV licences in Wales- but probably more convincing than most economist's economic models, though that goes without saying

Everyone knows Birmingham is the second city ( and the status is not based on football teams ).

The metropolitan population of Birmingham is ranked "most" populous (population wise).
London actually comes in second and Manchester probably a very late third (its half the size of Brum).

So in a fair hand to hand fight, us honest brummies, always win :) hands down.
If anyone disagrees we can always throw in the peaky blinders :)

We would not argue with London being the capital because it is steeped in history and is recognised around the world.
Most capital cities in most countries are by far and away the biggest cities in the country.

Manchester is more on a par with Edinburgh .. great cities, of course, but not in the Birmingham league.
Just saying :sneakiness:

How do you put London behind Birmingham, by population?

I think the reason some people think Manchester is the second city is because it is further away from London, and less under London's influence.

Paul

There is one thing Manchester has that Birmingham does not, a truly International 2 runway airport (Ringway) this should have been rectified years ago, do not know who is responsible but they have let the City (Bham) down. Eric

I see the City of Birmingham has a new challenger to second city status. There is the ongoing question of Manchester but this matter of Hebden Bridge is something new. :biggrin:

Whilst Hebden Bridge has its own qualities I still maintain that the rightful place must still stay with Birmingham. The City has traditionally been acknowledged as our second City: newcomers are just tilting at windmills.
:friendly_wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26472423

My brother lived in HebdenBridge for a while. He had to sell up and move out when his wife left him for another woman. (see the article) He's still a blues fan 'tho. Even though he's now in Manchester.

#4 paul -gosh I don't let facts stand in the way of a good story mate
Besides this is a Birmingham forum - so we like to boast a bit :emmersed:

Manchester (502,900) is smaller than Leeds (750,700) Sheffield (551,800) and Bradford (523,100) Birmingham is1,085,400. Hebden Bridge 11,549.
So both Manchester and Hebden Bridge can shut up and take a back seat.

Most capital cities in most countries are by far and away the biggest cities in the country.

Strangely New York city is not the capital of the USA, it is Washington.

In fact New York City is not even the capital of its own state, New York State. The state capital is Albany.

Birmingham/Manchester
I'll go with that on population. Definately the heart of the country and perhaps on history as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back