• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham's Image And Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New challenge to the status pf Birmingham

The idea coming from come american who says that because the the frequency distribution of words follows a pattern, then the population of cities also should. This is about as convincing as the theory of Yudkin in the 1960s that the consumption of sugar increases in proportion to the number of TV licences in Wales- but probably more convincing than most economist's economic models, though that goes without saying

Everyone knows Birmingham is the second city ( and the status is not based on football teams ).

The metropolitan population of Birmingham is ranked "most" populous (population wise).
London actually comes in second and Manchester probably a very late third (its half the size of Brum).

So in a fair hand to hand fight, us honest brummies, always win :) hands down.
If anyone disagrees we can always throw in the peaky blinders :)

We would not argue with London being the capital because it is steeped in history and is recognised around the world.
Most capital cities in most countries are by far and away the biggest cities in the country.

Manchester is more on a par with Edinburgh .. great cities, of course, but not in the Birmingham league.
Just saying :sneakiness:

How do you put London behind Birmingham, by population?

I think the reason some people think Manchester is the second city is because it is further away from London, and less under London's influence.

Paul

There is one thing Manchester has that Birmingham does not, a truly International 2 runway airport (Ringway) this should have been rectified years ago, do not know who is responsible but they have let the City (Bham) down. Eric

I see the City of Birmingham has a new challenger to second city status. There is the ongoing question of Manchester but this matter of Hebden Bridge is something new. :biggrin:

Whilst Hebden Bridge has its own qualities I still maintain that the rightful place must still stay with Birmingham. The City has traditionally been acknowledged as our second City: newcomers are just tilting at windmills.
:friendly_wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26472423

My brother lived in HebdenBridge for a while. He had to sell up and move out when his wife left him for another woman. (see the article) He's still a blues fan 'tho. Even though he's now in Manchester.

#4 paul -gosh I don't let facts stand in the way of a good story mate
Besides this is a Birmingham forum - so we like to boast a bit :emmersed:

Manchester (502,900) is smaller than Leeds (750,700) Sheffield (551,800) and Bradford (523,100) Birmingham is1,085,400. Hebden Bridge 11,549.
So both Manchester and Hebden Bridge can shut up and take a back seat.

Most capital cities in most countries are by far and away the biggest cities in the country.

Strangely New York city is not the capital of the USA, it is Washington.

In fact New York City is not even the capital of its own state, New York State. The state capital is Albany.

Birmingham/Manchester
I'll go with that on population. Definately the heart of the country and perhaps on history as well ?

I have just spent the last few days, and evening taking a few thousand pictures of Birmingham, and have assembled them into a film show with a twist, hope you enjoy it

Morturn, give yourself a pat on the back, wonderful effort and very enjoyable, thank you.
jimbo

Yes, I can only add my congratulations.
Particularly liked the speeding narrowboat down the cut

Bostin video Morturn been a few years since I was last in Brum and oh my how it has changed .again excellent video

Excellent video. thoroughly enjoyable.

I did wonder whether to view it, or not. My initial thoughts were Birmingham, between thirty and sixty years on, how much will I recognize. Surprisingly quite a lot.

A wonderful piece of work Morturn,I've shared it on my Facebook page and on my Google+ channel too,the more people that see these wonderful images of Birmingham the better !
Great to see the Bull Ring Tavern,I worked there just after it opened as "The Talbot",back in 1960 !

Spiffin Morton. I love the choice of music too. I had thought of taking some photos of here. (Cov) as the crap calendars they do are alway the same. I could do unusual angles you only see when you are walking and never have a camera bucause you are about your daily life. And things that wouldn't politically correct. My mate got a citation for his, he took some ancient boarded houses in slum condition with modern curtains in which were probably squats. I liked Morton's locks shot. Stuff like that with the BT tower in line with it. Gettin' all arty now!

Absolutely superb!

Is there any way with the next one we can have fifties' and sixties' backgrounds with the modern people rushing about bumping into the sadly long-gone beloved buildings of Birmingham? In which case they would have a rude awakening about our vanished heritage!

Would be a bit surreal though!

Very well done and very enjoyable to watch, very good technic, but also very sad, bears no resemblance to the Birmingham I remember. Some one please tell me why did they have to remove the beautiful gardens around the hall of memory.???!! I don't understand the modern way of corporate thinking anymore, I would have thought you needed more green spaces not less.

Might be because gardens need tending careful by someone who knows what they are doing, whereas pavements can just be swept. therefore reduction in costs

If it's anything like here, they pave over the green bits (Corporation St/Spon St Junction) then they move the green bit to Corporation St/Riley St junction 200 yards down the road then they slice a big piece of Greyfriars green off then they put a green bit a 100 yards along,for the Olympiucs they said, then they move it again. Like Belgrade Square. They built the ring through and and a subway in Greyfriars Green now they are taking 2 years to re do it a different way getting rid of the subway. Sometimes they find hidden ruins and they put grass around them and then they go and build on top of them. I think it's different councils having to have different ideas. (Jobsworths) Is Brum the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back