• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's first coroner

Pange

On the trail of John Birt Davies, Birmingham's first coroner, I've written a blog about my experience of searching for traces of him in Birmingham that may be of interest to members of this forum. I'm writing his biography so I'd love to hear from anyone who knows anything about him

Interesting that he is titled Birmingham’s first coroner. The article then sites the controversy of his election, as John Whateley had served for Warwickshire, which included Birmingham, for 20 years.

Yes thanks, I saw that and the fascinating Iron Room blog - really helpful. I'll be covering the controversy about his appointment as coroner in my forthcoming book. It seems politics played a part, naturally!

There were other contestants who withdrew, and the number went down to 3.

Yes Davies had 40 and Whateley 4, but in second place was Frederick Ryland with 9 votes. So the headline of election
by a ten-fold majority is misleading !

Interesting that he is titled Birmingham’s first coroner. The article then sites the controversy of his election, as John Whateley had served for Warwickshire, which included Birmingham, for 20 years.
Does that mean he was the first to serve only BIrningham? Whereas earlier coroners served Warwickshire including Birmingham.

Last edited:
It does look like it….let’s keep politics out of this !

Looking to the election of the Coroner by the Council a Mr Rodway described Davies as a friend of the poor, and that whatever situation he had endeavoured to obtain in the town he had always been opposed by the Tories.

Alderman Betts bore testimony to the conduct of Whateley in his duty as coroner, but had wanted one great qualification he was not a liberal, and that if he had a million qualifications and was not a liberal, he would not support him.

Back