• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birminghams Coat of Arms & “Forward”

I don't know if anyone has seen this on the forum before but I think its on-topic.

This is a painted shield with part of Brums arms and was presented to me by the Birmingham Parks Department when I won an event then called "The Birmingham Games", in 1965. The results were based on my placing in track events ridden at Salford Park and road racing in Small HeathPark. The 2nd photo is at Salford Park 1966 and the 3rd photo is at Small Heath Park 1965.

Graham.

I have a copy of the Birmingham Post Year Book 1953 and the Birmingham Coat of Arms has made a very significant change to the present day Coat of Arms on the Birmingham Council Website. The male and female standing either side of the shield have swapped sides!!!! It also appears that in this modern version the guy is also holding a toilet roll in his right hand.
Does any forum member know the reason for this?
The 1953 coat of arms is on the left.

Regards
Terry

1953.jpg now.jpg

thanks roger...thats lovely....ive been looking for a nice new avitar should i want to have a change...something like that would fit the bill....

lyn

The coat of arms on the entrance to Curzon St station is of the Birmingham And London railways and is quite rare if not unique

Mossy

The coat of arms on the entrance to Curzon St station is of the Birmingham And London railways and is quite rare if not unique

Mossy

Hi Mossy,

I've noticed recently several newish Birmingham refuse vehicles in the old
'apple green' livery that they used to have, and bearing the city arms
rather than that supposed heart shaped monstrosity they have used in recent years. Are they returning to the proper arms, or are these just one-off commemorative vehicles?

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Mossy,

I've noticed recently several newish Birmingham refuse vehicles in the old
'apple green' livery that they used to have, and bearing the city arms
rather than that supposed heart shaped monstrosity they have used in recent years. Are they returning to the proper arms, or are these just one-off commemorative vehicles?

Kind regards

Dave

Dave,as from 25th April 2007 all new refuse vehicles for Brum are in the traditional green livery with coat of arms to restore civic pride. The new vehicles are also to show Brum's "Green Credentials" for a cleaner environment. The official launch of the new livery took place outside the Council House with Councillors present, including Deirdre Alden shown here with two brand new lorries. Big improvement but they have forgot to paint the wheels red as they used to be.
Mike

Dave,as from 25th April 2007 all new refuse vehicles for Brum are in the traditional green livery with coat of arms to restore civic pride. The new vehicles are also to show Brum's "Green Credentials" for a cleaner environment. The official launch of the new livery took place outside the Council House with Councillors present, including Deirdre Alden shown here with two brand new lorries. Big improvement but they have forgot to paint the wheels red as they used to be.
Mike

Hi Mike,

They look absolutely great, but I noticed the vehicle facing is a DAF.
I wonder if there will be any more of these.

Many thanks for the info.

Kind regards

Dave

The coat of arms out side Erdington fire station has four black thingies across the middle banding and the rest have three,could any one tell me the significance

Mossy

I also remember the coat of arms out side Ladywood health centre as a child very well because its so prominent,our mom used to take us there for orange juice,cod liver oil tablets,national dried milk,i would like to say they all did some good,but being riddled with arthritis and other health problems i don't think so ha ha ha here goes by the grace of God go i

Mossy

The bishops mitre in the middle was introduced in 1974 when Sutton Coalfield became part of Birmingham instead of being the royal borough of Sutton the mitre represents bishop Vesey who originally came from Exeter,still cant find out what the black thingies are across which is described as Ermin,i can only assume its to do with the Debirmingham family

Mossy

Thank you, that is a great help.

I am doing a research degree on Birmingham graphic DNA, here are some further details https://www.typographichub.org/research/entry/graphic-dna/ I am going to be doing a type tour around Dgbeth, I wanted to be sure I fully understood where the motto comes from, as obviously it appears a lot around the city. It would be interesting to know who exactly suggested it, so that may mean a date at the city archives going through the BCC minutes. Thanks again - great group. I'm sure I will have pleanty of questions as my research progresses!

Hi

I wonder if the following helps a little?

Taken from the "History of the Corporation of Birmingham" 1874 Vol I, 1838-1851, Chaper IX Page 174

"1839 Corporate Seal

The First three designs were prepared by Mr. E. Lucas, engraver; the fourth by Mr. Halliday and the fifth by Mr. Harris. The Committee recommended the choice of No. 1 but the Council preferred the design No. 4 and this with the word "Forward" as a motto was adopted as the Common Seal of the Corporation. The first seal made, however, did not prove successful, and another had to be made in the place of it. The discarded seal was, by an order of the Council, broken into halves; it being directed by resolution that one half should be kept by the Mayor and the other half by the Town Clerk."

Suzanne

Something that has puzzled me for years now.When and why did they swap sides? On the old coat of arms the female was on the sinister side now she is on the dexter side. I used to think it was a mistake, and that someone got the transfers the wrong way around. I now think its something more sinister.

I have found this explanation and also the name of the item held by the male figure.

BernardR

Name interests - Spurrier and Gill.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rather loose connection to the thread but I just happened to see this while looking for something else, do you think they stole the idea from us, lol :)

220px-Seal_of_Wisconsin.svg.png

The Wisconsin Great Seal pre-dates the 1889 Birmingham one. It was adopted in 1851. The dexters reflect the area: sailor - much commerce from the Great Lakes and the yeoman - a great farming state, particularly dairy products.
The Birmingham dexters reflect its industry and art.

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I am trying to identify a version of the Birmingham coat of arms, the one I have seems to be between two iterations, it is the front plate from lampost circa 1930's.
The male is on the left and is holding a hammer above an anvil, but it is the modern version of the man but he is standing on the platform not the grass as in a later version.
I would love to repaint if correctly or as close as possible to the original colour scheme

Back