• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham's Button Industry and Factories

I read this article today about an old fashioned button shop which still exists in London, the late husband of the lady who now runs it was already in the button trade and bought the business on advice from his uncle who had a button factory in Birmingham - unfortunately it doesn't say the name or where it was.

Although it's London based I thought it was an interesting story with humour to share - it's great that these old businesses still exist.

I found your post whilst searching for information for my family tree. I have Kate Hollins married to Bernard Yates, and their daughter, Elsie married Fred Burgess (during WW2), to become Elsie Burgess. They lived in the back to backs by the Hockley bus depot (Ford St.?), but moved to Gypsy Lane in Erdington in the 1960s. Elsie had a sister called Edith, but I don't know anything about Fred. Was Fred part of your family?
I've finally traced the family - Elsie's daughter and I have been in telephone contact and I'm astonished to find that they have spent their summer holidays for years just 10 miles down the road from where I live now! Small world.......

Two great photos of the button cutting process in a Birmingham factory (or factories), No other information is given about them. Be nice to name which factory (or factories), although that may prove impossible.

The room the ladies are working in looks very cramped and claustrophobic to me. The men seem to have marginally better working conditions.

Viv.

8E688970-F14F-4DB4-BBA7-0345779CA21D.jpeg0AD8D081-5DDF-405C-8AC8-C941F59E2F5B.jpeg

Hello! I am currently starting the research for my new book which is looking at suppliers to the royal family from the 19th century onwards and I am interested in finding out anything I can about Firmin & Sons Ltd. I know some of their business records are in the Westminster City Archive but really what I would like to find is information about anybody in the past who might have worked there. My book is about all of the unseen labour that makes the royal wardrobe possible, to tell the stories of those people that are rarely mentioned. If anybody has any ancestors who worked for Firmin or can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful. Many thanks, this is a fascinating thread already!

Hello! I am currently starting the research for my new book which is looking at suppliers to the royal family from the 19th century onwards and I am interested in finding out anything I can about Firmin & Sons Ltd. I know some of their business records are in the Westminster City Archive but really what I would like to find is information about anybody in the past who might have worked there. My book is about all of the unseen labour that makes the royal wardrobe possible, to tell the stories of those people that are rarely mentioned. If anybody has any ancestors who worked for Firmin or can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful. Many thanks, this is a fascinating thread already!
hi kate as you most likely know firman and son are still going strong at newtown row..i think they moved there from villa street

lyn

hi kate as you most likely know firman and son are still going strong at newtown row..i think they moved there from villa street

lyn
Thanks Lyn, that is really helpful. My knowledge of Birmingham geography is pretty non-existent so I appreciate all the details! I emailed Firmin and they don't really have a dedicated archivist - the sales manager who has worked there a long time just handles that kind of thing but he said he didn't really have anything useful for me. I'm hoping for more info here!

Thanks Lyn, that is really helpful. My knowledge of Birmingham geography is pretty non-existent so I appreciate all the details! I emailed Firmin and they don't really have a dedicated archivist - the sales manager who has worked there a long time just handles that kind of thing but he said he didn't really have anything useful for me. I'm hoping for more info here!
thats a pity kate...as said i think firmins were first in villa st which is where i grew up..think they then moved to newtown row but the villa st factory was taken over by potters...i am just trying to confirm this because if i am correct i do have a photo of the factory ..will get back to you as i could be wrong

lyn

hi kate further to my post 69 i can now confirm that in 1934 firmins was at the globe works no 62 to 74 villa street...after they moved it was taken over by potters..i thought i had a memory of reading this info...here is the photo i mentioned it is labelled potters but as i said they had the building after firmins left...sorry its not a good photo but better than nothing if its any use to you please use it..

lyn

index.php (6).jpg

Last edited:
ahh much better than my small photo mike thanks...hopefully kate finds it of use...mike can you find firmins there any earlier than 1934...just wondering if they actually started in villa st..just noticed it was pottertons not potters that took over the building when firmins left

lyn

Lyn
They are at Villa St from the 1895 Kellys, but in the 1892 Kellys they are at 31,32 St Pauls square

They first appear in directories at St Pauls Square in 1883. They list themselves then as military ornament manufacturers (which include fancy buttons) and seem to have taken over the premises of Bryan Bros & Co , button manufacturers. Before that , as early as 1824 (mentioned in cutting below in 1828) there was a button manufacturer Firmin & Sons in London. It is not clear whether the firm moved , though I am sure there must be a familial connection at least

Sun London. 5.7.1838.jpg

They first appear in directories at St Pauls Square in 1883. They list themselves then as military ornament manufacturers (which include fancy buttons) and seem to have taken over the premises of Bryan Bros & Co , button manufacturers. Before that , as early as 1824 (mentioned in cutting below in 1828) there was a button manufacturer Firmin & Sons in London. It is not clear whether the firm moved , though I am sure there must be a familial connection at least

View attachment 182457
wow mike yes there must be a connection if so they have been going for 200 years..thats some going

lyn

Firmin moved manufacturing to Birmingham in 1882. There is a little more information in this article, although it is about another button manufacturer.

Back