• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's Bicycle Superhighway

Has anyone tried the cycle superhighway? We didn't realise it had opened but accidentally stumbled upon it the day after the Edgbaston section was finished last summer. I took this photograph whilst gliding along not having to worry about traffic. We sailed into town. Personally, I need a similar bike lane to Bearwood but there is little room on the Hagley Road. Still, this is a major step for cycling in Birmingham.

Côte d'Azur at Edgbaston.jpg

Has anyone tried the cycle superhighway? We didn't realise it had opened but accidentally stumbled upon it the day after the Edgbaston section was finished last summer. I took this photograph whilst gliding along not having to worry about traffic. We sailed into town. Personally, I need a similar bike lane to Bearwood but there is little room on the Hagley Road. Still, this is a major step for cycling in Birmingham.

View attachment 142412
what a great idea that will keep the cyclists safe. 1583062077626.png

Look at the pavements in this photograph. Most people travel by car and the pavements on many busy roads are virtually empty. Why cannot the pavement on one side of the road be dedicated to pedestrians and the other side devoted to cyclists? This way, we could have more safe cycling routes without having to narrow the roads and upset the motorists.

As a pedestrian Kieron, I cannot agree. There can be quite a long distance between crossings, so pedestrians (including ancient ones like me) might then have to go a long way out of there way to get to their destination

I was only thinking about major routes such as, say, the Hagley Road, where there are few pedestrians as it is an unpleasant route on which to walk. I wasn't thinking about residential roads etc. I was thinking out loud so forgive my daydreaming!

Can cyclists ride on pavements? Bicycles are considered vehicles under British law and is illegal to ride a bike on a pavement which has not been designated as a cycle way. The maximum penalty is £500, but it is often dealt with by a £50 fixed penalty notice. However, the law is not always enforced by police

Can cyclists ride on pavements? Bicycles are considered vehicles under British law and is illegal to ride a bike on a pavement which has not been designated as a cycle way. The maximum penalty is £500, but it is often dealt with by a £50 fixed penalty notice. However, the law is not always enforced by police

I’ve seen police on cycles, and the occasional youths on motorbikes, regularly using a footpath through houses which has a sign to indicate no cyclists.

I’ve seen police on cycles, and the occasional youths on motorbikes, regularly using a footpath through houses which has a sign to indicate no cyclists.
yer and me.i dont think anyone minds. as long as you use common sense

Let's put the Shimano brakes on this - it was my fault for mentioning the footpath use [which, of course, I do not ride on] - anyway, on this day we rode back to the Black Country on the canal which has an extended section of tarmac and hard surface. However, this is not a safe place for a woman to ride alone but that would take us off on another topic.

Canal Ride Home.jpg

Let's put the Shimano brakes on this - it was my fault for mentioning the footpath use [which, of course, I do not ride on] - anyway, on this day we rode back to the Black Country on the canal which has an extended section of tarmac and hard surface. However, this is not a safe place for a woman to ride alone but that would take us off on another topic.

View attachment 142424
when I was a keen cyclist, I would ride miles on my push iron. on the tow paths,along with my friend, later we got a tandem
one day we got a puncture and stuffed the tyre with grass,and rode home.:grinning:

Our local newspaper has a weekly cycling fatality story!
I lost in Parker, Colorado USA A dear friend who was killed by a hit and run driver when we did what he very rarely ride did road on the open roads. Lucky for me, I ride ONLY on bicycle paths. we have over 100 miles of them from Parker,Colorado USA Last year when we visited Scotland saw very few cyclist also in England evenin Brum I would have to think twice about riding a bike there. Are therany bike paths around Brum?

Are there any bike paths around Brum?
Getting a little better - this superhighway is a great boost. However, the city has little money for expenditure like this. Cyclists can use the bus lanes so going up to Walsall is fairly safe. There is the Rea Valley Route which is OK except for lots of fiddly bits and encountering drug users in places. The canals are useful but these can be dangerous - people get mugged in isolated places. Herbert Manzoni just made Brummies fall in love with the car, forcing pedestrians and cyclists into tunnels which are no-go areas for women and the vulnerable.

Back