• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Youth Choir

Di,

Sorry that I didn't see your posting before now but I too was in the 1950's Birmingham Schools Choir.

At Dennis Road Secondary Modern someone came round looking for 'voices' and we all had to sing solo with the talent spotter's ear almost in our mouths! I knew that I could sing but I was always one to try and stay out of any spotlights. So when it became my turn to sing I thought for a moment to sing out of key so as not to get selected but on the other hand I didn't want to look a fool in front of everyone so I sung like a Nightingale and got chosen!

Along with the other 'chosen' ones we were picked up and transported to some Grammar School for rehearsals. As far as I can remember we only had to learn that one son 'Hiawatha’s wedding'. But what a long piece that was, I think it must have taken us more than an hour to get through that one song.

When it was deemed that we were good enough we appeared at Birmingham Town Hall. After that concert I vowed that I would never sing in public again, and to this day I've kept that vow!

It would be great if someone had photos.

Graham.

Hi Graham, you are the first person ever to have even heard of Hiawatha's Wedding, apart from me. I would think we were probably singing in the same concert. We did our rehearsing in the Town Hall, Do you recall Charles Groves our conductor, many years later I saw him on TV conducting the Proms.

Di,

I think that it is quite possible that we were singing the same piece at the same time, the Town Hall Birmingham. I believe that there was a recording made of that concert but my mum was too poor to buy a copy and anyway we didn't have a record player. I have no recollection of who the conductor was but he must have been good to keep us lot in line. lol

Graham
I kept the programme which Charles Groves signed for me, but when I left home it got left behind and eventually must have been thrown out.
It would be great to find a recording, I can hear some of the music in my head, but I can't seem to get it to come out of my mouth in the right order.!!!!!

Hi Di,

I'm another one who has not only heard of 'Hiawatha's Wedding', but who also sang it. But not at the same concert as you and Graham. That would have been nice! I was in the school choir, and along with pupils from other Birmingham school choirs, we sang it at St. Philip's Cathedral, and a Requiem in latin. I really enjoyed it and my mom was there. I wish I could recall the music. But so pleased to be reminded of it.

Ann

I didn't do Hiawatha because I was in the junior school but have played double bass part in performances since up here in Yorks :) Its a lovely piece of work .
In my year we did Carmina Burana and Polovtsian Dances Borodin .
also in that concert that year ( unless I have mixed up 2 concerts)me and my mate won the Grammar Schools festival playing Vivaldi D minor Double violin concerto so we were also playing in that concert . Doubly scary . Birmingham has always been leading from the front where providing music education has been concerned :)
regards Jean

Very belated congratulations Jean for winning the Grammar Schools Festival. You must have been very proud and very good!
You have mentioned one of my all time favourites, Borodin's Polovstian Dances. I went to a Russian classics evening about three years ago at The Symphony Hall, just to hear that. Carl Davis was the conductor. A wonderful evening.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Annie for the congrats .. I dunno I was very young and very nervious and very short of confidence , it is only now that I am older and am a violin teacher that I realize that I was good for my age .
Also gary Karr came to do a double bass Masterclass in Birmingham ( Hes about the worlds best bass player from Halifax Nova Scotia )
I was chosen as the advance student and I was so nervious I couldnt play .. so he spent most of that masterclass talking about nerves .. What a waste .. I wish I could turn the clock back and play with the confidence I do now .
Any how yes I totally agree with you about those dances they are really beautiful . Im sure as a kid I remember an old 1950s musical film sort of arabian nights ish that used the music to that ?
I love the light classics and indeed it was old Mantovani that set me off with the violin .
I am glad you get so much pleasure from your mu7sic annie and keep going to concerts because to us players its what keeps us going :)
Kind regards Jean

Hi again Jean,

That was 'Kismet'. And the most famous song from that, and an all time favourite for me, was 'Stranger in Paradise'. I've even asked for that at my funeral! But not yet, I hope.
I've a beautiful recording of 'Kismet' on mini disc.
I'm going in July to the Symphony Hall, the CBSO are doing a concert Bernstein on Broadway. Carl Davis conducting again.
Glad you are now 'a confident performer'. You cannot beat listening to live music.

Ann

Yes I remember now . Kismet . Who starred in it Anne ? Was it Howard keel or Yul Brenner ? I cant remember . Yes I remeber the song very well . I was brought up on Musicals , as mum was a singer with a band . She used to be a trainee nurse and then after her shift in brum used to go down to do her stint singing with a big band on some revolving stage .This was in the early 50s.
All noted on the performance you are going to see it should be really good especially with that conductor he is excellent :)
I am what you call semi pro . I am blessed with 2 gifts one is I get on really well with kids and the other is music so I combine the 2 and teach the violin . At weekends I play with the local orchestras up here as a session player which doesnt earn me a great deal of money but gives an awful lot of pleasure .
I only wish more people were like you and come out of their houses to go watch classical music live .
Im not altogether sure these huge wembley arena concerts are really peoples moneys worth . I prefer a small concert hall sat down and in the warm .
Best wishes jean

Great thread to read. I have listened to concerts broadcast from Birmingham Symphony Hall on BBC in recent years. Some of my best musical memories
in more recent times when I volunteered with the Vancouver Symphony
Orchestra. I mentioned this in "Best Jobs You Have Ever Had" thread.
The afternoon concerts had a live compare Otto Lowy, an older gentleman from Poland and there was always a theme for each concert. It was the greatest feeling being in almost full darkened concert hall on a weekday afternoon, sometimes with the rain pouring down outside, listening to some of the world's greatest music live. We always had the full orchestra at these concerts plus special guests.

Jean,

The stars of 'Kismet' were Howard Keel and Ann Blyth, and it was directed by Vincente Minelli. I am jealous of your mom, I always wanted to sing with a big band. I was a professional actress and also did sing and dance. But when I had an audition with the big band at the Locarno, I bottled it because of nerves, and didn't turn up. In more recent years I've sung with my husband, who plays guitar. We weren't able to last year or this year, so far, because he's been unwell. We sing at old folk's homes and over 60's clubs, songs from late 1800's to the 70's. Like you, when we do our shows, we don't make much, but we enjoy it and it gives a lot of pleasure, particularly to those in the homes. Back to the joy of live music again.

Ann

Does anyone have any information regarding the choir made up of selected children from Birmingham schools. I was privilidged to be a member and remember many of the wonderful stirring and funny songs we sang that made the rafters of the Town Hall ring.

I think Desmond McMahon had something to do with it.

We sang 'The Pelicans Chorus' ,' I vow to thee my country'. Drakes drum' 'Fairest Isle' 'Jerusalem' some dancing from Pineapple Poll, and funny songs from a well known baritone whose name I cant remember.

I would love a copy of the programme or press cutting.

Mariep ex pupil Bordesley Green Secondary Modern Girls School

Hello Mariep
I remember the childrens choirs in the town hall, I wrote a piece in the Birmingham Entertainment Cinemas Theatres and Rinks section,in the Town Hall slot. I sang in the choirs 2 years with Ilmington School in about 1954/5/6, the second year was all Scottish songs.
Pamela

If you type Birmingham Youth Choir into the Search Box at the top of this page you will find an interesting few pages.

Re: Town Hall Concerts

Birmingham childrens choir 1953 ish

I was privilidged to be a member and remember many of the wonderful stirring and funny songs we sang that made the rafters of the Town Hall ring. I was in two concerts, the third one I was accepted for but had to withdraw as I was due to leave school Easter 1954.

I think Desmond McMahon had something to do with it, maybe his brainchild. I believe he was very keen to bring good music to the ears of children. Other names, if I remember rightly - Sir Malcom Sargent and Benjamin Britten.

We sang 'The Pelicans Chorus' ( Edward Lear, Music Bachlund) ,' I vow to thee my country' ( Lyrics, Cecil Spring-Rice, to Holsts, Jupiter). Drakes drum ( Henry Newbold music Granville Bantok) 'Fairest Isle' 'Jerusalem', Song of Liberty, some dancing from Pineapple Poll, and funny songs from a well known baritone whose name I cant remember. ( Geriant Evans? Edmond Hockridge???)

We practised the songs with our music teacher Miss Phillips. She always used to smooth down her bosom before raising her baton to conduct us.

I would love a copy of the programme or press cutting. The must be photos out there somewhere too.

Mariep ex pupil Bordesley Green Secondary Modern Girls School ( Super school knocks all your comprehensives into a 'cocked hat'!)​

A few years ago, as part of my French lessons, we were shown a film called 'Les Choiristes' (The Chorus) and it brought thoughts flooding back of the days that I spent with the Birmingham Schools Choir. Having been brought up after the war without a dad watching it was quite emotional for me. Has anyone on here seen this film? Well worth seeing even if you weren't in the choir, Graham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anh7Enari2U&feature=player_detailpage

As near as I can recall, in 1954 someone decided to rope in choirs from schools all over the city to sing in a production of "The Erlking"
After a crash swotting session our "choir", from Wheelers Lane school, was herded off to the Town Hall for a rehearsal.
On arrival we found that there was a great crowd of kids, who all had to be moulded into a mass choir.
Good we were never destined to be but it was allright on the night, I suppose.
We had a great time during rehearsals, no classroom work for us !
I remember my mate and I palled up with a couple of girls from Hope St school, Balsall Heath. I think one of them lived in Vaughton St.
I've never heard "The Erlking" since
Did anybody else get caught up in the event ?

The Grammar Schools Choir Festival rehearsal of 1964 at the Town Hall. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

669A673A-8F09-4027-A89B-F303E16C3E7F.jpeg

Back