• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Youth Choir

Great thread to read. I have listened to concerts broadcast from Birmingham Symphony Hall on BBC in recent years. Some of my best musical memories
in more recent times when I volunteered with the Vancouver Symphony
Orchestra. I mentioned this in "Best Jobs You Have Ever Had" thread.
The afternoon concerts had a live compare Otto Lowy, an older gentleman from Poland and there was always a theme for each concert. It was the greatest feeling being in almost full darkened concert hall on a weekday afternoon, sometimes with the rain pouring down outside, listening to some of the world's greatest music live. We always had the full orchestra at these concerts plus special guests.

Jean,

The stars of 'Kismet' were Howard Keel and Ann Blyth, and it was directed by Vincente Minelli. I am jealous of your mom, I always wanted to sing with a big band. I was a professional actress and also did sing and dance. But when I had an audition with the big band at the Locarno, I bottled it because of nerves, and didn't turn up. In more recent years I've sung with my husband, who plays guitar. We weren't able to last year or this year, so far, because he's been unwell. We sing at old folk's homes and over 60's clubs, songs from late 1800's to the 70's. Like you, when we do our shows, we don't make much, but we enjoy it and it gives a lot of pleasure, particularly to those in the homes. Back to the joy of live music again.

Ann

Does anyone have any information regarding the choir made up of selected children from Birmingham schools. I was privilidged to be a member and remember many of the wonderful stirring and funny songs we sang that made the rafters of the Town Hall ring.

I think Desmond McMahon had something to do with it.

We sang 'The Pelicans Chorus' ,' I vow to thee my country'. Drakes drum' 'Fairest Isle' 'Jerusalem' some dancing from Pineapple Poll, and funny songs from a well known baritone whose name I cant remember.

I would love a copy of the programme or press cutting.

Mariep ex pupil Bordesley Green Secondary Modern Girls School

Hello Mariep
I remember the childrens choirs in the town hall, I wrote a piece in the Birmingham Entertainment Cinemas Theatres and Rinks section,in the Town Hall slot. I sang in the choirs 2 years with Ilmington School in about 1954/5/6, the second year was all Scottish songs.
Pamela

If you type Birmingham Youth Choir into the Search Box at the top of this page you will find an interesting few pages.

Re: Town Hall Concerts

Birmingham childrens choir 1953 ish

I was privilidged to be a member and remember many of the wonderful stirring and funny songs we sang that made the rafters of the Town Hall ring. I was in two concerts, the third one I was accepted for but had to withdraw as I was due to leave school Easter 1954.

I think Desmond McMahon had something to do with it, maybe his brainchild. I believe he was very keen to bring good music to the ears of children. Other names, if I remember rightly - Sir Malcom Sargent and Benjamin Britten.

We sang 'The Pelicans Chorus' ( Edward Lear, Music Bachlund) ,' I vow to thee my country' ( Lyrics, Cecil Spring-Rice, to Holsts, Jupiter). Drakes drum ( Henry Newbold music Granville Bantok) 'Fairest Isle' 'Jerusalem', Song of Liberty, some dancing from Pineapple Poll, and funny songs from a well known baritone whose name I cant remember. ( Geriant Evans? Edmond Hockridge???)

We practised the songs with our music teacher Miss Phillips. She always used to smooth down her bosom before raising her baton to conduct us.

I would love a copy of the programme or press cutting. The must be photos out there somewhere too.

Mariep ex pupil Bordesley Green Secondary Modern Girls School ( Super school knocks all your comprehensives into a 'cocked hat'!)​

A few years ago, as part of my French lessons, we were shown a film called 'Les Choiristes' (The Chorus) and it brought thoughts flooding back of the days that I spent with the Birmingham Schools Choir. Having been brought up after the war without a dad watching it was quite emotional for me. Has anyone on here seen this film? Well worth seeing even if you weren't in the choir, Graham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anh7Enari2U&feature=player_detailpage

As near as I can recall, in 1954 someone decided to rope in choirs from schools all over the city to sing in a production of "The Erlking"
After a crash swotting session our "choir", from Wheelers Lane school, was herded off to the Town Hall for a rehearsal.
On arrival we found that there was a great crowd of kids, who all had to be moulded into a mass choir.
Good we were never destined to be but it was allright on the night, I suppose.
We had a great time during rehearsals, no classroom work for us !
I remember my mate and I palled up with a couple of girls from Hope St school, Balsall Heath. I think one of them lived in Vaughton St.
I've never heard "The Erlking" since
Did anybody else get caught up in the event ?

The Grammar Schools Choir Festival rehearsal of 1964 at the Town Hall. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

669A673A-8F09-4027-A89B-F303E16C3E7F.jpeg

Back