• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Working Boys Homes

Sandra F

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone know anything about Birmingham Working Boys Homes around 1928? My father was sent to the one in Ryland St after leaving Marston Green Cottage Home - at least they tried to get them into safe accommodation and not just be left to find their own way at the age of 15.

Thanks

Sandra
The Birmingham City archives have information about the Birmingham Working Boys home ref MS3375 as part of the Lee & Crowther Solicitors papers deposited there.

The reference is MS3375/511 1892 to 1920 Minute books

MS3375/513 dated 1890 to 1925 have photographs presumably of the boys

MS3375/515 is a newspaper cutting about the boys home dated 1904.

There are also account books dated 1911 to 1932 which may contain some reference to your father.

Louisa

Louisa. I am interested in any references to the Gordon Hall Boys Home around 1911. I believe it was somewhere in Digbeth. Anything about this Boys Home would be of interest to me.

From the 1912 Kellys birmingham summary;
The Birmingham Working Boys' Home, Gordon hall,20 High street, Deritend, was founded by Major Alfred V. Fordyce, 3 July, 1880, at Princess road. The purposes of the institution are to provide a home for friendless and homeless buys from 13 to 17, and give them a certain amount of education and industrial training ; boys over 16, who are in situations, but have no home or friends, are also admitted. The resident boys are chiefly occupied in the factories of the town. hairman,Arthur L.Lowe esq
mike

My father James Edmunds-Littleford (Jim), born 1919, was in a workhouse as an infant before being going to Shenley Fields Children's home and Royal School for the Deaf. After this, at about 16, he went to a working Home for boys in Birminham then went to a college in Manchester studying Baking and Confectionary. I believe this was a difficult life but my dad was always grateful for his chance and enjoyed his life with many successes including meeting my mom and having two lovely children (me included) perhaps he was one of the lucky one's. It is interesting that he went to his deaf club - Institute for the Deaf in Granville Street, Birmingham, followed by an hour in the Granville pub (now a theme pub O'Neil's ?) cormer of Granville Street and Broad Street. He did this from 18 (college time aside) to 83 when he died after his last night at the deaf club which had then been moved to Ladywood.

I believe my great grandfather Joseph Rosenberg attended a working boys' home in Edgbaston, Beaufort Road, where he learnt to be an engraver. I'd be very grateful for any information on this establishment.
Many thanks
Craig

From the 1912 Kellys birmingham summary;

The Birmingham Working Boys' Home, Gordon hall,20 High street, Deritend, was founded by Major Alfred V. Fordyce, 3 July, 1880, at Princess road. The purposes of the institution are to provide a home for friendless and homeless buys from 13 to 17, and give them a certain amount of education and industrial training ; boys over 16, who are in situations, but have no home or friends, are also admitted. The resident boys are chiefly occupied in the factories of the town. hairman,Arthur L.Lowe esq

mike

Over a decade since this post but better late than never. I have posted an illustration of this home at :

has anybody seen a photograph of the building?

Back