• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Weston Road Workhouse & Cape Schools

kat

Ex Brummie
Hi

I am trying to find out what the abbreviations in 'Western Road U.D' mean. I have found the information on a death certificate issued in 1939 in the County of Borough of Birmingham. I am wondering if this is a hospital?? Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be much appreciated.

Hi

I am trying to find out what the abbreviations in 'Western Road U.D' mean. I have found the information on a death certificate issued in 1939 in the County of Borough of Birmingham. I am wondering if this is a hospital?? Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be much appreciated.

The workhouse was situated in Western Road, and then later the Geriatric Hospital was on the same site I believe. I think that U.D. refers to Urban District.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I ironically visited Dudley Hospital during a trip overseas 2 months ago and i saw the 'old work house' during my visit there. I am wondering when it changed from a work house to a geriatric facility? My Grandmother passed away there Ida Lippett was her name.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I ironically visited Dudley Hospital during a trip overseas 2 months ago and i saw the 'old work house' during my visit there. I am wondering when it changed from a work house to a geriatric facility? My Grandmother passed away there Ida Lippett was her name.

Hi Kat.

if you Google "Birmingham Workhouse" there is loads of information on the subject. My Gt Grandad James Oldfield was in Birmingham Workhouse in 1913, so it was still open then.

Barrie.

My gt gt grandfather John Goddard died in western road workhouse infirmary in 1904 Birmingham. I have got this info off his death cert. Does anyone know if the library hold any records from here and possibly have more info of his time there?
Regards
Dean

hi dean i asked that very same question the other week when i was at the central library and was told the records were destroyed unfortunately..most of them when the building was demolished..
but it maybe an idea to phone them up and just double check i was told right..

lyn

Lyn, I was told differently. I wanted to find out about when one of my family died there in 1915, I had a form to fill in as the records are closed for 100 years. I have never followed it up for various reasons, but I still have the form, duly filled in. Not touched that line for a long time, maybe it's time I paid them a visit!

thanks shortie well i think when i have the time i go back and press on this subject of record availability...seems that i have been wrongly informed

lyn.

Unless, Lyn, the person I asked was not aware of the situation and just gave me the form anyway. Just a genral form asking for closed files to be opened. This has only just occurred to me.

ok shortie..no harm in asking again just in case although im quite busy at the min so dont know when i will be back at the library..

lyn

If i remember right David Conroy the author of Archway of Tears was responsible for saving many records from Dudley Road and deposited them in Central Library. I inquired back in 2005 for the records of my gt aunt who died in Hatton Asylum, because of the hundred year closure rule I had to get permission from Warwickshire Health Authority to see the records.

oh thanks wendy...im interested in someone who lived in and gave birth to her son at western road in 1883 and also someone who died there in 1879...will make some more enquires when i get chance..

cheers

lyn

Re: Old street pics..

I went to visit the old workhouse in Western Road last Sunday, and couldn't believe the state of it. Why has it been allowed to fall in to such disrepair? I think it deserves to be restored, and for us to all remember the sad lives that passed through that arch of tears.

I think they did some work on the roof a while ago but if they don't do something soon I expect they will say it's not worth bothering!
It's such a shame as it's a symbol of the thing previous generations dreaded..."Don't let them put me in the Workhouse!" was one of Nan's sayings. I didn't know at the time that my 3x Great Grandfather died there in the Workhouse Infirmary and that was why she was so worried.
I wonder if the Plaque is still there??
rosie.

Rosie, I also remember old people who were very frightened of going into Western Road Infirmary. It was always considered to still be the workhouse. It wasn't possible to get too close to the building, as there were metal standings around it, hiding most of it from view. The chimney stacks still look in reasonable order, and at the stage it is now it could be restored. I could just about see the Arch of Tears, and it was still possible to walk all around the outside of the building. I can't believe the Birmingham City Council have allowed this piece of history to be so neglected. Where was the plaque Rosie?

Surely it has nothing to do with the City Council as it would have transferred to the NHS upon its founding? I could be wrong but would not like Birmingham Council to be blamed if not their fault.

I seem to recall that listed status was refused for it?

We seem to have two threads on the same subject - see also Workhouse Dudley Road

Unless anyone objects I propose that the two are merged into one cohesive thread?

Thanks Brumgum - I had seen that but so far have failed to find anything more up to date on the likely outcome.

I am sorry to have blamed Birmingham City Council for the lack of interest in Western Rd Infirmary, but I wasn't aware that the hospital may be responsible for it's care. I do hope that something is done to save this building, it's got memories for a lot of older Brummies. I remember it was used as a hospital for the elderly when I was a child.

Back