• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Wholesale Market 1973

The vehicle registrations suggest it is. I wonder who the unnamed company was? Two of the vehicles in the photo have close registrations and I suspect others in the warehouse also could have.
It is unusual that the vehicles - other than the one passing by - carry no name, just what appears to be a number on the cab side and the wording FRESH FRUIT GREENGROCERY on the bodywork.

There was a a Bousefield Bros, fruit & vegetable mechants in the fruit & Veg markets. There was also Bulmers, horticultural dunfries at 16,17 & 18 Bromsgrove st. The latter though, according to the directories and map, was next to a corner building, not on a corner.
map c1950 corner Bromsgrove st and Dean St.jpg

The photo by Stitcher, going by the vehicle registration has to be after 1969 and likely a year or so later. The building with the lorries in does seem fairly new and the fact that all the lorries there are similar suggest a large concern rather then a small company or one man band.

I thought it might be the Co-Op, what seemed to look like a fleet of dark green vehicles. I hesitated as the Co-Op usually proclaimed their name on vehicles and everything else of theirs for that matter.

Hi,

Was just wondering if anybody has any similar images from inside Birmingham Wholesale Market looking up at the skyline and would be happy to share.

Cheers

Attachments

• C5E487A9-1E88-4A9A-B695-EC47644074F3.jpeg
    C5E487A9-1E88-4A9A-B695-EC47644074F3.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 9A058205-248E-4215-AC6E-420881BE6B0E.jpeg
    9A058205-248E-4215-AC6E-420881BE6B0E.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 16
Back