• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Trams

Back on the road, the Moseley Road that is, and kids enjoy the open balcony of car 431 on the 42 as it passes the ABC Imperial Cinema where Alan Ladd and Robert Preston star in 'Whispering Smith'. Film buffs will no doubt be able to put a date to this view from that.

Mike yes Whispering Smith 1951 & the B Movie Speed To Spare 1948 (57mins) Your bonus for 10, The Imperial 1914 :)

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread - but my interest is a bit divergent form the main topic...
Is there likely to be any trace of personnel records for tram drivers, going back to the early C20th?

Do any of you tram experts have any idea whether it's worth looking? and, if so, where?
Christine

Some staff documentation has survived, but incomplete (most personal records are destroyed anyway) - there is a uniform issue book dating back pre WW1 I have seen, for instance. Most of it is stored away in archives and difficult to sort through. Not the detailed stuff I think you want, Christine.

Some staff documentation has survived, but incomplete (most personal records are destroyed anyway) - there is a uniform issue book dating back pre WW1 I have seen, for instance. Most of it is stored away in archives and difficult to sort through. Not the detailed stuff I think you want, Christine.

Thank you, Lloyd.

It was always going to be a bit unlikely. I'll assume that there isn't anything, then, and I won't go hunting but I'll allow myself to chase up anything if it looks seriously promising.
(I know that sounds odd, but has worked before... A "John Chapman" who'd died pre 1841, and lived in an area with lots of Chapmans would normally be a "brick wall", so I wasn't looking, but some other documentation turned up which led to me getting another 3 generations back plus a load of side branches.)

Christine

Mike yes Whispering Smith 1951 & the B Movie Speed To Spare 1948 (57mins) Your bonus for 10, The Imperial 1914 :)

Thanks Alf, that's brilliant. Now here's another one for you, it's WWII wartime, the Imperial again, and the film showing is (I think) 'Gallant Sons' More kids enjoying the balcony as car 419 heads for City on the 37.
Mike

'Gallant Sons', starring Jackie Cooper and Bonita Granville, dates from around November 1940. Note the blackout mask on the headlight, and the blackout canvas pasted onto the windows - with small peepholes to see where you are!
But - why is the tram running 'wrong line'? Is the track dug up on the right hand side of the road?

Mike that car has still got covered headlights, so it could be Gallant Bess (1946) Its a story about a Soldier who takes his Army Horse home, that fits. or Gallant Journey (1946) Development of a Ford Glider Plane. The last of 3 Gallant Lady (1934) Unwed Mother giving up Baby for adoption.
There are 2 more but they have THE in the title:)

I was still writing and looking for more Lloyd sorry friend.

I've found Gallant Sons now in the another book

Last edited:
As it is the Queen's Birthday today (one of them), Happy Birthday Ma'am, here is a Royal tram connection going back to before the war. How I wish I had been around in 1935 to see this fantastic sight out at night with all those bulbs lit up.

Now for a great c.1940's view of open balcony car 338 arriving at Witton terminus on the 3X from City. The Co-op is well seen there in the background.

Mike,
That is a very nice picture at Witton, but I think it was taken when the 3/3X loop service was still operating, and Witton was not strictly a terminus, as cars ran out to Witton either bearing the number 3 via Six Ways, turned the corner at Witton and returned via Aston Cross under the number 3X - and vice versa. Exactly a week into World War 2, the Six Ways line was suspended and never reinstated. The overhead between Six Ways and Bevington Road was taken down in the mid-40s, but the football loop was kept for Villa traffic. So the photo cdates from the 30s not the 40s.
You can see a few passengers on board the car as it turned from Witton Road into Witton Lane, the route number already having been changed to 3X.
Peter

I have re posted this here from another thread posted by Kevkonk. I thought it was great!:) Thanks Kev!

Streetly Rd being built at end of vid
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raln143nOhw"]YouTube - Old Birmingham Trams/Buses Part 3[/ame]

Mike,

Peter thank you for the information. This is what I like about posting photos on here. My date was only a guess from the look of the car in the view so it's good to have your help to get it right plus the additional info. Many thanks,
Mike

And over at The Pelham, Alum Rock, on the bow collecter service 8, car 781 waits for the car on the stub to depart for city so as to take it's place. The second view gives a close up of a bow collector. At one time a pantograph as used on Blackpool trams was tried out. Does anyone have a picture of it or know to which car was fitted please.?

I was in Miller Street today (as you do )and I noted that they were digging up the road to lay plastic pipes, I decided to have a peek and saw the old cobbled roadway, I did try to see if there were any tram tracks there was a small section but not the part were the trams would run I suspect that it went many years back the bit of tram track I saw was the crossmember were the track would sit on it did look in good condition when you concider the number of years it has been down there

I did have a camera with me but as I was getting odd looks from the workers I boltled it I must assume that the rest of the road has many more crossmembers in the road I can bide my time to get a photo at a latter date

What is the make of car in this tram picture on the left hand side? I thought it was a Ford anglia, but surely that model wasnt out at this time? any ideas?

What is the make of car in this tram picture on the left hand side? I thought it was a Ford anglia, but surely that model wasnt out at this time? any ideas?

That is definitly a Ford Anglia and the other cars look late 50's as well.

Very strange,it's definitely a Ford Anglia,there's also a Standard Vanguard(or maybe an Ensign) and a Renault Dauphine,all of which were introduced in the late '50's.Must be some trickery going on here !!.....Mal.

It's a BLACKPOOL tram like this one - car 147 which went to a museum in America, then came back to Blackpool for a very expensive restoration. Your picture could be on the Marton route or at Fleetwood.
Note the arched windows in the lower saloon, typical of the early Blackpool "Standard" cars.

Meanwhile back in Brum car 822 on the 36 queues up to reach the loading stands in Navigation Street before departing to Cotteridge.

Another great shot Mike the advert on 36 does it say Dutch Tinned Fruit? can't see it very well.:)

Another great shot Mike the advert on 36 does it say Dutch Tinned Fruit? can't see it very well.:)

That's right Alf, it is Dutch Tinned Fruit in the ad. Dutch Tinned Meat was also advertised as seen on the famous 616 on last tram day.
Mike

I googled it last night and got one of their Super Market delivery services they deliver to GB you want to see the Beer prices.:rolleyes:

An interesting working is captured here. Car 377, with conductor riding on the front platform with the motorman, turns out of Hill Street in to the Navigation Street 41 terminus in order to then cross over Hill Street to the 70 terminus. Already with destinations set it will then work as an extra to Rednal. Might 377 have been a Moseley Road car as is 402 on the 41 route following it? Notice one of the 'Picture Post' advert eyes on the third car

Careful OtherHalf, folks will be calling you a tramorak!:)
Your link was interesting and I noticed the system mileage of 80 and a bit miles. Here on one of the shortest routes to run is car 120 at the Stoney Lane, Sparkhill, terminus of the 4 route from City. The number blind under the canopy appears to be blank which was most unusual for BCT unless the conductor is up there to change it when the photo was taken by the well known tram photographer W.A.Camwell.

Ok Mike,what's this tram and where is it going?...........Mal

Mal it's an old scrubber if you'll pardon the expession. Car PW (Permanent Way) 8 was a cut down double decker (Car 505) that BCT had gained from the takeover of the City of Birmingham Tramways Company. Converted in 1920 it was used to tour the system with grinding stones underneath to keep the track smooth for service cars. Seen here in Camp Hill it was possibly returning to Kyotts Lake works off Stratford Road.
Mike

Back