• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Bit quiet in forum today so a few more trams to cheer you all up :fat:
No 1 Selly oak depot.
No 2 Licky terminus .
No 3 Bristol road South I think !!
No 4 Im not sure , was there a reason to line up the trams like that ?? was it a regular thing ?? is it a scrap line ??
ragga :fat:

Lloyd will tell you for certain but I think they lined the trams up on the central reservation in Pebble Mill Road.

I said a long time ago that I went to Selly Oak Garage when Moseley Road garage closed and I worked with several drivers who had previously been driving trams.

View attachment 80713View attachment 80714View attachment 80715View attachment 80716

Bit quiet in forum today so a few more trams to cheer you all up :fat:
No 1 Selly oak depot.
No 2 Licky terminus .
No 3 Bristol road South I think !!
No 4 Im not sure , was there a reason to line up the trams like that ?? was it a regular thing ?? is it a scrap line ??

Re No 4. I can remember, as a kid, seeing buses lined up like that outside the Austin at "knockin' orf time".

I think they used to line up the 3X's in Witton Rd during match days at Villa Park if I rember correct , I lived round the corner in Queens Road. Eric

Perhaps they were all lined up ready to go on an outing!!
Shame if they were going to be scrapped,not old enough to have been on the trams, but used to love the one in the old - proper - Science Museum that you could climb on and ring the bell and punch tickets.
Enjoyed a trip to Crich earlier in the year and realy enjoyed it!
Sue

Yes pic 4 is a line of cars parked in Pebble Mill Rd either awaiting scrapping or just parked a few weeks before the end while Cotteridge and Selly Oak depots were being converted for bus operation.
Pic 3 is Longbridge island, with car 744 en route to town from Rednal, and the line to Rubery branching offto the right.
Pic 2 is in the last weeks of operation at Rednal, with a new bus on driver familiarisation duty across the road. on conversion, buses used the tram terminus, with extras even queueing up round the circle on busy days.

I can confirm that whilst Cotteridge & Selly Oak Garages were being converted to bus operation, many trams were parked overnight in Pebble Mill Road and a one way system was in operation for the no. 36 trams travelling down this road, hence the crossover.

We lived not far from Pebble Mill Lane, we lived in Ragan Road, (off the Pershore Road) in the late 40's and as a boy remember the trams on the centre bit,.
Paul

We lived not far from Pebble Mill Lane, we lived in Ragan Road, (off the Pershore Road) in the late 40's and as a boy remember the trams on the centre bit,.Paul

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

No 1 Lancaster circus , wonder what that ansells house was called ?
No 2 Unsure but somewhere in Hockley .
No 3 Tyburn /chester road Terminus ?
No 4 Unsure , maybe Carrs lane ?

I remember #555 No 4. well and yes it is Martineau St. as Nick says. If you look along the line of windows on the left...at the top is Corporation St. and you can see the entrance to Cherry St. on the far side. The Dolcis shoe shop would be on the right hand corner of Cherry St. If you zoom in and look along the shop windows again and middle distance, you will see a line on the sidewalk (pavement) and this is the remains of old Crooked Lane. It went to the left about 30 or 40 yards and made a sharp left and came back onto Martieau St. behind the photagrapher at this time. I think this picture was taken between the wars by the look of it and the bomb damage off picture to the left would not have happened at this time. It was the terminous for the Washwood Heath tram which I seem to think was further up the street in my time, but photo's can confuse. That Crooked lane bit would have been the entrance to Union Passage in our time that would have run down to New Street and the Odeon cinema and strangely I never knew it as Crooked Lane until this forum came into being. A great and valuable picture and if between the wars...more so...very sharp indeed. Maybe the Ansells picture was Christmas decoration.

I would say the same for the Ansell's picture Rupert. You can make out part of the word that could be Greetings and the decorations do look
Christmassy.

Back