• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Tram Books

Cookie,
Many thanks for reply extra pics, and now thanks to your permission I will be converting the first snow pic to Christmas cards to my friends and family this year. Your fame will spread far and wide! Have you caught up with the 'Birmingham Trams' thread for more tram photos? On books, I still have my original 1940's Ian Allan ABC of Birmingham Trams & Trolleybuses which was probably about the first book to come out about Brum trams.
Mike

motor man mike, Glad you like the painting, like to see one of the Xmas cards. I am just researching old photos for future tram paintings, have to alter things round a bit so I dont break copyright laws - dont want to finish in the nick at my age. Any paintings I do I will put on "My Album" with the rest. I have just bought a stunning print by Eric Bottomy of Aston Cross circa 1952/53, 39 bus plus 3 trams I am just going to photgraph and upload it

Here is a print by Eric Bottomly of Aston Cross circa 1952/53 24" X 16", he also does cards

Last edited:
Lloyd, sorry about CHUNKY error,but when I was researching for the painting an old BCT employee informed me it was a dog food advert and I vaguely remember a dog food of that name or very similar around the 40s or 50s, as we kept dogs - my mistake

Hi, can anyone tell me how and if i can find out anything about my great grandad William Wilkes who drove trams in birmingham and up the Hagley Road, to the Lickey Hills from 1919 till the second world war? i know that there was photos of him by his tram but does the BCT hold records of emloyee's service? or anyhting like that?

Thanks

Lee

Trams only ran along Hagley Rd as far as Bearwood. If your GGF drove trams to the Lickey Terminus that route was along the Bristol Road and he would most likely to have been based at Selly Oak garage.As regards employee records I dont know if any were kept, the best route maybe Birmingham Central Library as a starting point.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, i believe he did several routes so my Grandma says, one being along the Hagley Road to Bearwood, one being the outer circular, and one to the Lickeys (where in 1927 he slipped on the ice changing the line over and broke his ankle, ending up at the Transport and General Convalesent Home at Littleport for 3 months https://www.postcardworld.co.uk/cards/England/cambs/conv.jpg ) I know Grandma says that she had to go down from Smethwick to Birmingham to collect her dads pension from their offices there during the war. I will have to have a look in the library next time im home,

Thanks!

Lee

I have a few books, purchased a few years ago, on BCT tramcars, buses and trolley buses plus a couple about the Midland Red.

In one of the tramcar books, part of a two part history, much to my amazement and delight I saw a picture which contained my father outside his shop. The same book also contained a photo of the van and shop of a childhood friends father.

The Advert.

Ask for S Martin's CHUNKY marmalade.

I'm in the process of going through my many tram books and listing the many advert's which appeared on Birmingham trams.

Ray

Rosebery St certainly operated the short-lived Hagley Road service, and on summer weekends or Bank Holidays all available tramcars and staff would be mustered to run a heavy service to Rednal for the Lickeys. (A 90 second frequency was the maximum allowed after the first BH after the route's opening, when the overhead power line at Selly Oak became overloaded and melted! - That is a 70 seat car every minute and a half - that's 2800 seats per hour).
Rosebery St crews also worked the Bearwood and Lodge Rd routes, and the Dudley via Smethwick and Oldbury service.

lovely paintings of yesteryear, I know the name Stockland green where exacty is it in brum, on the outer circle.
paul

Hi Paul: Stockland Green is on the Outer Circle 11 route. Here is description from Bill Dargue's amazing site. The trams used to run across Stockland Green via Streetly Road coming up from Short Heath Road.No.78 down Slade Road to Salford Bridge now Spaghetti Junction. There was an experimental bus on that route for a few years called "Trackline 65". Didn't work out and was taken off. The Outer Circle 11 comes down Reservoir Road from Six Ways Erdington and travels down Marsh Hill on it's way to Witton. Coming the other way from Witton onwards to Stockland Green up Reservoir Road and down to Six Ways Erdington. https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-s/stockland-green/

Last edited:
Back