• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Town Hall

He would not have been a Sir at that time, of course, and he did not marry Cleo until 1958. You could have dated her! :laughing:

can we please stay on topic please...we do have a thread for you tube music

thank you

can we please stay on topic please...we do have a thread for you tube music

thank you

My apologies............

And hopefully the Sir Johnny Dankworth band!
Yes Johnny Dankworth was I think a regular favourite. Very likely wrong but to me he was so in love with Cleo that he surrenderd his everything to her. She had a great voice but I didn't like her style.
I'm not a musician, just like what I like.
Great days and happy memories.

Yes Johnny Dankworth was I think a regular favourite. Very likely wrong but to me he was so in love with Cleo that he surrenderd his everything to her. She had a great voice but I didn't like her style.
I'm not a musician, just like what I like.
Great days and happy memories.
Tim, I am not sure either but I think you might be correct!

Some memories in this thread and we all seem to remember Humph at the Town Hall...Onions and When the Saints... and the big bands, especially the polished performances of the Heath band. One of the things I remember that is noticeable on this thread and on another thread is how smartly we all dressed. Suited and booted.

Bob

Some memories in this thread and we all seem to remember Humph at the Town Hall...Onions and When the Saints... and the big bands, especially the polished performances of the Heath band. One of the things I remember that is noticeable on this thread and on another thread is how smartly we all dressed. Suited and booted.

Bob
Unfortunately Bob, those days of being “cleaned up” are sadly long gone!

This must have been drawn just as the Town Hall opened in 1834 and of the first music festival to take place there. The roadway outside is referred to as ‘rutted’. The awning at the shop of curiosities must have been put in place for the occasion. (Source: British Newspaper Archive). Viv.

D4267922-67E2-4F9A-B6EC-E21F75BDBBFE.jpeg

Wonderful new early photo (as stereoscopic slide) of town hall from top of pinfold st. Definitely pre 1880. Have tried to make it a little clearer, but here is original and tweaked
The slide is from a Facebook group looking to identify unknown images

town hall from top of pinfold st.jpgtown hall from top of pinfold stA.jpg

great mike thanks...can anyone confirm what the building is to the left of the town hall please

lyn

Sandbagged in September 1939. Then bricked in December 1939. The first image shows a bollard with, what I think, might be a blackout hood (?). Viv.5C78AE1D-F3EB-49F0-8913-1B38DF36C5E5.jpeg09FC25F3-3271-4201-9435-151AF7E603CD.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back