• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Town Hall

The T.H. is not aesthetically attractive to me. There is more to a building than pillars and a peaked roof and fancy lighting. It could be improved, to my eyes anyway, if it had some kind of frontal entrance. As it is, it stands on an 'air raid shelter like' raised plinth with any entrance hard to find for the un-initiated. That being said, it's been there for going on 200 years now and would be missed. Missed mostly as a monument with an organ in it I believe since for the time that I knew it, it was empty and held the occasional concert. No offices in it as far as I knew...no Lord Mayor housed there. The city business was carried on in the Council House I suppose and perhaps that was the place where the Lord Mayor was housed. Standing alone now the T.H. makes more of a statement but one wonders how much better it would have been to have maintained Mason College and expanded the real Central Library and Midland Institute into the T.H. space with a sympathetic frontage and wings. We got an inverted pyramid and would be Parthenon vying for monument status. Ah well, it might have been a cold glass tower I suppose...with provisions to avoid bird kill.

HI VIVEINE
Just going back to your old thread with the sand bags built up around the topwn hall ; i have a picture of the men;
Placing the sand bags around the town hall in attempt to avoid possible bomb damage in 1939;
best wishes alan; Astonan;

Personally I think Birmingham Town Hall to be one of the finest buildings in the United Kingdom.

There are similar structures in many European countries which all take their respective styles from ancient Southern Europe. Although the building did, it seems, house the Council and administrative functions in its first forty plus years - in addition serving as a meeting and entertainment centre - the Council and City administrations have been elsewhere (The Council House) since the 1870's. Therefore the building should not be confused with a City Hall, Hotel de Ville, Stadt Halle or other similar civic building, it has progressed beyond that. It serves as a great focal point for the City, hosting many events that smaller cities and towns can only envy.

My personal memories of the place were the wonderful concerts given by the CBSO. It was their home for over sixty years, my visits were only for four of them when aged 12 -16.

Later this year it will celebrate a 180 year history, a that is older than many cities in some parts of the world! :friendly_wink:

Why not give it a proper entrance and forecourt? It can still be in the style that you favour. I seem to remember that it was a bit cramped inside. Probably big enough in it's day. I also seem to remember from here that it was rebuilt once because of a structural failure. Lewiss's makes a better focal point I think. Probably because it had an everyday purpose as well as being a fine structure for it's time...including today.

Hi viv
Nice to hear from you again, I will down load the pic of the town hall and workers banking the sand bags
At some point this after noon enjoy the rest of your day speak soon alan

Hi Viv
Here is the picture of the town hall with the men stacking the sand bags agaist the windows as promised
best wishes Alan Astonian ;;
birmingham hall 1935.jpgbirmingham hall 1939.jpg

Hi Alan. They were quick off the mark getting those sandbags filled. The photo's dated Sept 1939, so they certainly got a move on preparing those (hundreds or thousands?) of sandbags. Doubt the Council would have had a ready supply stashed somewhere so I presume the bags were mostly made up on site. Can understand why they'd want to preserve it as your other photo tells us it was renovated in 1935 - so protecting their investment. Can't remember if I've ever seem photos with the upper level windows were protected too. But I expect they too were covered up, maybe with boards. Viv.

Hi All,

50 years ago this week the town hall was the scene of a meeting which saw the formation of The National Viewers and Listeners Association. Mary Whitehouse was its main spokesperson and the aim was to put a stop to what they considered to be the violence and sex etc that was being broadcast. They argued that unless something was done about it the matters would only get worse. Mrs Whitehouse is now dead and I do not know if the Association still exists. But was Mary Whitehouse right? Are things worse than they were 50 years ago? Certainly it seems that most comedians cannot stand before an audience without uttering words that a few years ago would not have been tolerated.

Old Boy

Old Boy:

I was about to say that any attempt to respond to your question in this thread can only result in the thread going totally off topic, but Bernard beat me to it! Perhaps a new thread might be more productive?

Maurice

There is not much that you can say about the T.H. is there. 15 pages is a mystery. I am sure that a new thread along the line in question would bring out some lively comment though. Maybe there is one already.

Old Boy:

I was about to say that any attempt to respond to your question in this thread can only result in the thread going totally off topic, but Bernard beat me to it! Perhaps a new thread might be more productive?

Maurice
An excellent suggestion Maurice.

Hi Bernard
getting back on track regarding the TH; I have got a large picture of the hall ; with scaffold around it
from bottom to top and on the subject of the upper windows they was closed in they was little small windows above
and in a square shaped so they would never be able to open them
and it looks like there are two ladies standing right on the very corner of the building waiting for a bus or possible a taxi
and this is dated renovations at the town hall dated 16 august 1935
i do know in later years that those windows was taken out in around the 1950s and new ones in that openend out
they was there inthe early sixties when paul jones of m,annfred man made is film there
as i was there whatching like other public people was there they was filming him standing on the balcony
and we the crowd got filmed as we was surpose to be apart of the crowds of his followers that he was shouting down to
i do not remember the name of the film perhaps some one else can best wishes Alan Astonian

The film was Privilege, I didn't realise the Town Hall was used as I only read the book whilst on a caravan holiday.

Was it used in any other films?
rosie.

Hi Rosie
The only part they used was the out side parapet on the front of the town hall
They put some scenery up there and paul Jones of the Manfred man star leader had a big medallion around his neck
And in costume. And us the Joe public he was shouting down to us from the parapiit is lines
We was used as part of the film the producers was telling us to jump up and down and shout as loud as we could and we was to be looking up to paul
And we had to jump up and down they used scenes from around the city as well for the film parts
In it it did show parts of streets scenes Alan astonian,,,,

There are a couple of mentions earlier in this thread of the two workmen that died in 1834 whilst helping to build the town hall. A monument was raised in Birmingham Cathedrals Churchyard consisting of a broken column which is often used to depict a life cut short by tragedy.

I have always been intrigued by the column top (see picture) that resides in a flower bed at Cannon Hill park and wondered if there was a connection with the town hall. On reading this today I find that there is a connection, you will need to read tab 2 on the page.

https://www.cannonhillpeoplespark.net/discovery/discovery.html

Though I have to remark that I find it odd that there is some 57 years between the deaths of the two unfortunate workmen and the raising of their monument. Was there a previous monument or was it erected because Birmingham happened to have a couple of spare columns due to alterations.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 20
I was looking at the one in St. Philips, the Cathedral, the other day and it seemed very dingy just there and not like this one in Cannon Hill. So many people take a "short-cut" across where the grass used to be that it's just rough ground now. Was it really made from one which was "left over"?
rosie.

(I have just re-read parts of this thread and in #76 Ellbrown has put a beautiful photo and the explanation that it was intended for the Town Hall.)

Last edited:
What an enjoyable site which has brought back many memories. Loved the Jazz Concerts of my misspent youth, The Dutch Swing College, Stan Kenton and Johnny Dankworth introducing us to his new and beautiful new vocalist Cleo Lane!
When I was back for a short visit to my hometown, in 2004, I was so saddened to see the Town Hall in such a dilapidated condition and was so glad to see it restored in its new glory.
The only down side I felt was Rupert and his overbearing and negative view of a building that many cities must envy. My advise to him would be to visit a builders supply company, buy some material to build a bridge, and "Get Over It!!".
I apologise for my rude comment but felt it justified.

# attachment 84722, looks so cosy, (on a social history comment) I did't realise that coffee was so widely drunk by the masse's at this period, and is the chap coming in the door recognizing a friend and has his thumb up, "so very English".

Hi Tim
Hi Tim and anybody else whom is into jazz as I am there is a band on the scene for the last few years now whom have made a name for themselves
They are called the swing commanders and they have a lady in there band as well
They travelled the breast of the country and appear in stourport country and western festival which is held in august every year
They entertain you and play brilliant jazz music and american style jazz. As well
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,

The film was Privilege, I didn't realise the Town Hall was used as I only read the book whilst on a caravan holiday.

Was it used in any other films?
rosie.
.Hi All,

The final scene of the film 'Brassed Off' was shot in the Town Hall. It was the Brass Band competition and the Town Hall doubled for the Albert Hall. The film is well worth seeing if you have missed it

Old Boy

This book
https://theironroom.wordpress.com/2012/08/

claims that Birmingham Town Hall was the first great purpose-built concert hall in Britain. It also seems that the front elevation, envisaged 3 years prior to the Town Hall architectural competition, looked quite different to that which was finally chosen. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Viv,

Thanks for that. Sounds like the author has done loads of research. Unfortunately I'll be in Italy on 16th September, so can't make the freebie do !!

Maurice

Hi Old Boy,

A very good film indeed. I've seen it several times and now have the DVD, and used to work with a guy (a brass band fanatic) who kinew many of the brass players. Sadly, Pete Postlethwaite is no longer with us.

Maurice

Back