• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Town Hall

An impression of the interior in 1843 and a pictorial newspaper representation of a music festival held at the TH from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News of 4/9/1879. Viv.

0AAFFD30-14C7-4187-96C9-74E5330C3EF6.jpegC561222E-D699-415D-BEA2-BC7DE3C6FEF5.jpeg

A model of the Town Hall may have been referred to before somewhere on the Forum but I’m not sure if the model was made of ivory. No longer generally acceptable as a medium for such models, but it is a part of manufacturing history in that it was made by a Birmingham ivory ruler maker. Viv.

781AF5FD-97AA-4B65-A620-7C68B1A71BF2.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
An impression of the interior in 1843 and a pictorial newspaper representation of a music festival held at the TH from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News of 4/9/1879. Viv.

View attachment 169680View attachment 169681
The lower picture is of famous people of Birmingham at the time
I recognise Cardinal J.H. Newman - left hand side at the bottom. .
I wonder who else Forum Members will recognise?

Re the big band concerts at the Town Hall, saw Heath, Delaney, Parnell, Lewis and Dankworth, that I remember, but could I have seeñ Oscar Rabin there after he formed his big band, he used to sit in with the saxes, while Harry Davis fronted the band.
Bob

My favorite singer "Buddy Holly", so sad as kid when he died, loved his music, still do, spent at least 3/- every week on juke box!! Sad old man now ....
There is a group in Nashville that plays Buddy Holly and the Crickets songs and music. They sound very much like them and dress the same. Great to listen to and watch!
Ditto ditto on the sad old man :cool:

Back