• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Town Hall

ethanedwards

Brummie Muso
Birmingham Town Hall

p389785-Birmingham-Birmingham_Town_.jpg
2122505481_b6862af167.jpg

Birmingham Town Hall is a Grade I listed concert
and meeting venue in Victoria Square England.
It was created as a home for the Birmingham Triennial Music Festival
established in 1784, the purpose of which was to raise funds for the
General Hospital, after St Philip's Church (later to become a Cathedral)
became too small to hold the festival, and for public meetings.
Between 2002 and 2008, it was refurbished into a concert hall
and is now used for performances as diverse as
organ recitals, rock, pop and classical concerts and events
such as graduation ceremonies for Aston University.
Joseph Hansom, of Hansom cab fame,
and Edward Welch were chosen as the architects
and they expressed that they expected the construction cost to be .£8,000.
Hill of London was hired to build the 6,000 pipe organ for .£6,000.
Construction began on April 27, 1832
with an expected completion date of 1833.
However, Hansom went bankrupt during construction,
having tendered too low.
The contractors were also losing money.
Three guarantors donated money for the building;
W. P. Lloyd, John Welch and Edward Tench.
With the injection of this money, the building
was successfully opened for the delayed Music Festival
on October 7,1834,
despite the building still being unfinished.
During construction, on January 26, 1833,
two workers were killed when a 70 foot crane constructed
to install the roof trusses broke and the pulley block failed.
John Heap died instantly and Win.
Badger died a few days later from his injuries.
They were buried in St Philip's churchyard and a memorial,
consisting of a pillar base made by one of the workmen
for the Town Hall,
was dedicated to them.
Architect Charles Edge was commissioned in 1835
to repair weaknesses to the design of the building.
He was also commissioned for the extension of the building
in 1837 and again in 1850.

Built in brick, created in Selly Oak,
and faced with Penmon Anglesey Marble
presented to the town by Sir R. Bulkeley,
proprietor of the Penmon quarries,
the hall is modelled on the Temple of Castor and Pollux in Rome.
Some limestone was used in its construction and fossils of plants
and animals are visible. In the late 1980s and early 1990s,
the front arches were glazed to create an entrance foyer.

Charles Dickens gave public readings here to raise money for the
Birmingham and Midland Institute,
and Mendelssohn's Elijah and Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius
were both premiered.
Sir Arthur Sullivan's "Overture di Ballo" was also premi.¨red
here in August 1870, as part of the Triennial Musical Festival
which commissioned new works for every season.
The hall was the home venue for the City of Birmingham Symphony
Orchestra from 1918 until 1991 when they moved to Symphony Hall.

In November 1880, the Hall was filled to capacity
for a Birmingham public protest meeting in support of Revd.
Richard Enraght, Vicar of Holy Trinity, Bordesley,
who was imprisoned in Warwick Prison under the Disraeli Government's
Public Worship Regulation Act.

On August 9, 1902, the town hall, along with the council house,
was illuminated in celebration of the coronation of King Edward VII.
It was illuminated again on June 22, 1911 for the coronation of King
George V. In 1901, it was the scene of rioting on the occasion
of a visit by Lloyd George.

It featured prominently in the 1967 Peter Watkins
film Privilege and doubled for the Royal Albert Hall in 1996s Brassed Off.

In 1937, as part of the celebrations for the Coronation of George VI,
the Town Hall was regaled in the various Arms of the
Lord of the Manor of Birmingham since 1166 and each column
festooned with garlands. The pediment also had images of Britannia,
supported by mermaids, which were sculpted by William Bloye.
This decorative scheme for the Town Hall and the whole of the city
was devised by William Haywood,
Secretary of The Birmingham Civic Society.

The Hall closed in 1996 for a .£35 million refurbishment,
undertaken by Wates Construction, that has seen the
Town Hall brought back to its original glory with its
6,000-pipe organ still in place.

birmingham_ticket.jpg

The Hall was used for many pop shows,
and unlike the Odeon and The Hippodrome,
it tnded to steer toward a headline acts and just
a couple of support acts.
Many great stars appeared here,
in the 1960s and 1970s, such as
The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,
The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan

I saw many shows here, including,
Traffic and Buffy Saint Marie.

Thank you for the photo and reminding us of the history of the Town Hall which is very much loved. I can add another event, one that is a part of my familie's history. In March 1908 the fire at Hamstead Colliery cost miners lives, my grandfather was fortunate in that he was not underground when it happened. The medal that he and other miners were given for their part in the attempted rescue of their fellow miners was presented to them at the Town Hall. The men were entertained and a concert was given, the wonderful organ played its part,and there was a band and singers. This was reported in the newspaper in July of 1908. In my school days I was in the Birmingham Youth Choir, and sang at the Town Hall sitting below the organ pipes. Later in that decade I enjoyed the Jazz concerts held there.

Thanks for posting a very interesting history of one of Birmingham landmarks.I went to a few concerts there in the 1970's.I also remember going on a school outing to listen to the Vienna Boys Choir in the 1960's
A little known fact about the Town Hall was that it was the venue for the first public use of electrical lighting in the city.Previously lighting in Town Hall had been by gaslight.
The electrical experiment took place during the 1882 Triennial Music Festival,and was a combined venture of the Winfield and Crompton companies.
A Crompton generator was driven by an old steam engine in Winfields works in Cambridge Street,and power was transmitted to the Town Hall via some 500 yards of underground cables.
Although the experiment was successful,attempts to make a commercial success of this failed.This wasn't achieved until the formation in 1889 of the Birmingham Electric Supply Company,whose first power station was in Dale End.

Like Di I also sang in the 50's at the Birmingham Town Hall, we performed The Song of Hiawatha.

In this photo a ticket to a pop concert with Mud in 1974. My wife was invited into the dressing room and sat there while these guys got changed, hence the signed photo.:)

2807002780102465904S500x500Q85.jpg

Have seen some of the great entertainers over the years at this venue and still continue to do so_One that stands out from the many is the David Bowie gig in 1973,the support band were the sensational Alex Harvey Band,and boy did they live up to their name !

Have just been looking through some old programmes from town hall gigs.How about this for value for money,The Who,Traffic,The Herd,Marmalade,The Tremeloes and the Dream,all on the same bill and all for the princely sum of 7shillings and 6pence way back in1967.Wow love and peace man !

Kenny ball, humph littleton,mr ackerbilk, ted heath, eric delany ,lional hampton, buddy holly & the crickets,lonney donigan,johnny dankworth. & so many more like sachmo armstromg.
Sitting many times on the back of the stagein the cheap seats? Doing the hand jive. It could be said it was a miss spent youth between venues like this & birmingham ice rink that was my teenage life.

I saw lots of live bands at the town hall in the 60s......equals...slade status quo.gene vincent.little richard...to name a few......there werent many of those old fold up chairs left standing after a quo gig lol...i sang in the school choir there too i remember the song called the "windmill"..and i also danced in a festival there .our troop came 2nd...... Do any of you older brummies remember the group called carl and the cheetahs.....and pat wayne and the plainsmen ....good times ..and no thuggery .!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Town Hall is a very beautiful building and must be lovingly remembered by Brummies all over the world,
I only went to one concert there by the CBSO and was really impressed by the acoustics, I have seen it since the restoration and it looks real good again Bernard

The restoration is magnificent. We live within easy reach, only a few minutes walk at each end of a short train journey. We visit once or twice a year. The organ is fantastic. I know that all the work cost many millions of pounds, but I think it has been worthwhile. I too sang there in the 1950's, in the school choir and I love the place, and my wife does too and she is not a Brummy!

Usd to put strange and unconnected acts on the same bill, if i remember right they had T Rex on the same bill as Ravi Shankar once.

This would have been around 73. Wonder what all those screaming 12 year old girlss mad of that.

Took a friend there recently, who was in a wheelchair.The access was good and the staff were very helpfull.Not a bad coffee bar either.

I was involved in the restoration (on the electrical side ) although it cost a lot of money there were many top quality tradesmen working on all aspects of the project. Dek

Ethan, there where some great Saturday all nighters during the 60's where Spencer Davis where on stage most of the night. The place was packed every time I went, not sure they served any alcohol I think it was all pop drinks. Great times I wounder if there are any photos of the time inside?
Thanks for the info Ethan.
They hold Monday concerts free of charge now, and it seems very popular, if only the Moody Blues & Spencer Davis where on Free!!

I have been critical of the Town Hall as a building...to me it was just there. Not enough of a building and yet too much for the space. I suppose an out of place Parthenon not that I have ever seen that building in the flesh. Anyway, seeing these pictures here; some that would not have been possible before because of buildings in the way...I quite like the appearance. A few trees along side improves the experience don't you think. Opening up the west side area and cleaning the stonework has improved it no end.

Hi Ann
I too remember going to the all night jazz sessions. They started at 10 pm and finished about 6.30. We used to go in a crowd and always part through the night had a little sleep upstairs. Cant emember who we ever saw but when they finished used to go to one of the crowds houses for breakfast then home to bed. Happy days eh!

Hi Ann
I too remember going to the all night jazz sessions. They started at 10 pm and finished about 6.30. We used to go in a crowd and always part through the night had a little sleep upstairs. Cant emember who we ever saw but when they finished used to go to one of the crowds houses for breakfast then home to bed. Happy days eh!

I saw George Lewis and his band, Ken Collyer and George Melly at all-night jazz concerts at the Town Hall. Brilliant!

i can remember the groups namesbut we used to get in for free with a group who played at the at the fire bird george huxley used to play clarenet with them

Just an update for col h re Birmingham Town Hall gig on 15th February 1969 which featured Tyrannosaurus Rex (Marc Bolan & Steve Peregrine Took), Vytas Serelis giving a sitar recital,the DJ John Peel reading poetry and none other than David Bowie when he was a mime artist. This was when Bolan was a young cross-legged on the floor, acoustic guitar playing, singer/song writer supported by Peregrine Took on bongos.... and you could hear every note without fear of screaming girls as Bolan was still relatively unknown. A great gig it was too. Hope that helps..... Kindest regards, Fairport

Last edited:
I saw many acts there one that sticks in my mind was Sonny Terry and Brownie Magee they were brill

Mau-reece

View attachment 54113

Hi Mossy.... I think the concert you refer to was the amazing "American Folk, Blues & Gospel Caravan" tour which performed at Brum Town Hall on Saturday, 2nd May 1964 featuring Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee as well as the legendary Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davies, Cousin Joe Pleasants & Otis Span.... what a line-up that was???

I envy you being there as it was one the platforms for the ensuing British blues band revival for the likes of John Mayall & his Bluesbreakers and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Quite a landmark tour. The attached concert poster for this very gig appeared on Ebay fairly recently which I thought may be of interest to you. Hope it helps. Kindest regards, Fairport

ps. If anyone has any questions re Birmingham gigs from the 60's & 70's I've built up quite a reference list that may be of help. Most relate to Brum Town Hall concerts, but other venues are included such as the Carlton Club, Mothers, the Odeon, Brum University, Henrys, Belfry and many others. Happy days!

Thanks for that Fairport here are some more acts i seen at the Town Hall Long John Baldry and the Steam Packet

The Beach boys
The Pretty Things
Chris Farlowe and The Thunder birds i think Spencer Davis was on that one i cant think of any more at the moment this wines going to my head are you anything to do with Fairport Convention

Mau-reece

If you've got any dates for the above gigs I'd be very interested.

I know The Beach Boys toured in December 1968, supported by the excellent band Eclection, Barry Ryan and I believe Sharon Tandy if that rings any bells? Eclection soon split, morphing in to Sandy Denny's Fotheringay and eventually a revamped Fairport Convention.

The first reference I've got for Spencer Davies at Brum Town Hall is from 28th February 1964 when they appeared at "The First British Rhythm & Blues Festival" which included The Yardbirds & The Spencer Davies Rhythm & Blues Quartet. Much earlier than I expected for the Yardbirds.

Well, in answer to your question, as Fairport Convention have been the one band I've never lost a passion for since the 60's it seemed fitting to use the name. Even my house is called Fairport!

ttfn

Fairport

Among the many groups that appeared at the Town Hall was the Wolverhampton band "Slade" who in 1978 made what i think must have been a repeat booking.

i mention this since on one of the group's fansites is a marvellous photo of the Town Hall, taken somthing like 20 years earlier, when one could drive all around the building as it was then.

The link is www.slade40years.cms4people.de/slade-archiv.2007.html

Unfortunately the technical status of the website doesn't allow individual linkings, but it appears that the photograph originates from the Birmingham Mail newspaper on THAT website (dated 3 October 2007) if that will make it any easier to people to recover.

I SAW SLADE ON STAGE AT BHAM TOWN HALL .IN 70s..THEY WERE ON WITH STATUS QUO......WHAT A SHOW THAT WAS ....ALSO SAW GENE VINCENT ...THE EQUALS AND LITTLE RICHARD.......TO NAME A FEW ....

Comment on TV a couple of weeks ago by Ozzy Osbourne. "Forty years in the business and I'm still playing Birmingham Town Hall!"

Back