• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Theatre Royal

Loooking for something else (as usual) in a family scrapbook, I spotted Theatre Royal in the index. The following are newscuttings from December 1904 and let us date exactly the re-opening of the Theatre Royal.
This cutting is from December 7th and details a preview performance:

theatre-royal-opening-1.jpg theatre-royal-opening-2.jpg
This is the advert for the opening production "Babes in the Woods" I was interested to see Phyllis Dare was in this as the owner of the scrapbook also had a whole album of postcards of her!

theatre-royal-opening-advert.jpg
This is review of the opening production:
theatre-royal-opening-review.jpg

I remember my Dad taking me to see a play called Dry Rot at the Theatre Royal in 1956, shortly before it was demolished. the play was a farce starring John Slater. We sat up in the top gallery,'the Gods'. Had a good view of the theatre - it looked very shabby and in need of decoration. also saw Norman Evans in panto at the Royal in the 1950s.

johnf

I remember seeing the panto at the Hippodrome with Beryl Reid, it was fantastic, she did her Brummie accent as 'Marlene', never laughes so much in my life.

John F

Two great photos by the Warwickshire Photographic Society (and supplied via Birmingham Archives) : one of the stage from the dress circle and the second from 1901 of the working props room. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371825681.455481.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371825694.093690.jpg

@ Carolina Have you the plans for the 2nd Circle and the Balcony (Gods) It was on 4 Levels

Hmm... Bringing back to many memories I remeber beig up in the Gods. Watching Vic Oliver in the Last Panto "Old King Cole" My mother suffered from Heights... We nearly had to belt her in the seat :playful: The Entarnce to the Gods as at the rear of the Theatre and you went up a plain brick Staircase that had gas lights as well as electric.. ( I was morified using this staircase we normaly used the Dress Circle. or was forced to slum it in the Stalls :playful: ) It was after this experience that my Mother advanced book seats for the Theatre.. Next year We went to the Hippodrome to see their First Panto.. Jack and The Beanstalk (Which I still have the Programme) Staring Freddie Frinton. Beryl Reid... With her M&B earings. it was Produced by Tom Arnold... Hmm I am giving my age away.. Hmm There was a Bad effect of all this.. I ended up being a Managing Director of a Theatre..

I remember seeing the panto at the Hippodrome with Beryl Reid, it was a terrific show with a fantastic cast. I also saw John Slater in the farce Dry Rot at the Royal in 1956 shortly before the closure and subsequent demolition of that fine theatre.

A good clear view of the Theatre Royal and Piccadilly Arcade. Sorry, no date but looks abt 50s to me. Van has, I think, 'Sartorial Shops Ltd' written on the side. Never heard of them. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371896868.590913.jpg

Funny how you develop an attraction towards something you never saw or experienced. But I've certainly got a fascination for the Theatre Royal. And I think that's because it was host to one of our great writers when he was an actor: Charles Dickens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372021924.730832.jpg

And here's a programme from the 1920s on the Theatre's 150th anniversary, Christmas Eve .... Must have been magical .... It shows a nice contrast between the 1774 building and the replacement building, showing many similarities in the architecture. MD in 1924 was Philip Rodway. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372022255.586277.jpg

A good clear view of the Theatre Royal and Piccadilly Arcade. Sorry, no date but looks abt 50s to me. Van has, I think, 'Sartorial Shops Ltd' written on the side. Never heard of them. Viv.

View attachment 86981

The New Theatre Royal Canopy shown in picture was installed 1953 from memory

It must be remembered that "Moss Empire" under Val Parnell Chairmanship.. Sold a number of Theatres to Provide money for the starting of ATV Television.. As this Theatre was in need of a Massive refurb and was on Prime land. It fitted the bill to sell of.. Hmm Progressf

hi viv
satorial shops was a mens clotheing shops they had one right on the corner
of park rd aston cross facing the old aston cross big clock and down below ground toilets that used to be there and i think it was the george pub on the corner
directly facing them and of course the very corner next to HP sauce factory
in the fiftys our grand mother berta victoria jelf whom was a stage dancer
around the thearters and associated with billy coton and sandy powell and wee georgie wood took me and my two brothers to get kitted out and bought us our first pair of long trousers and shirts and pull overs in the early fiftys
at the Aston cross shop they was also around the city centre ;
enjoy today viv ; its gonna be a hot one ; best wishes Astonian; Alan;;

Thanks Mike. Did also wonder if theatregoing went into decline for a while too, especially with competition from cinemas. The promise of panoramic screens must have been difficult to compete with.

Thanks Alan. Sartorial seems to be a word that's dropped from use today. I bet if you asked anyone under the age of 30 what it meant most wouldn't have clue. It's a word that I always remembered being used in a very positive way like 'sartorial elegance'. So you must have looked pretty smart when you'd been kitted out!

Now here's another word you mentioned which hasn't had too much use of late either 'SUN'! Shall take your advice Alan - off for a nice cuppa and a biscuit in the garden........ Viv.

The Real enemy of "The Theates" and even Cinemas was the value of the land they stood on... Most on Prime sites.. Our company bought a Job Lot of (6) theatres of Rank for around £150,000... Some Years later. Two of them we sold for £2.5m 3 went for a good price.. The last ones asking price is £400,000 min..

Leon Salberg was talking to another Theatre Owner.. About Walter Jeffs Opening at the Curzon Hall. for Films The other Owner commented that its somewhere for the quese to go to when they filled... Leon commented back that they will end up taking the Cinemas Over flows..

It must be noted that Leon Salberg with his Freind Sir Sidney Clifft controlled over 60 cinemas around the country (Cinema Propritors Ltd.,) (The Clifton Circuit) (plus 6 Cliftons Branded as Odeons) There lies another tale... Hmm I think I must get down and write the real story of went on behind the scenes... Makes "The Godfater seem like Noddy in Toytown.. :eek:)

There's currently a new exhibition on at The Gallery at the Library of Birmingham and they have two items called "The Theatre Royal Plaques". One is of William Shakespeare, the other is of David Garrick. They were rescued when the theatre was demolished in 1956.

Shakespeare

Garrick

More information

Last edited:
The blue plaque for the Theatre Royal above Bella Italia on New Street seen in 2010

Bella Italia seen in 2015 - the blue plaque is to the left

A drawing of the fire at the original theatre. A loss to the city, but on a humorous note, see how earnestly people are rescuing barrels of booze from the building! I think the bar (in the lower right section of the building) was the Shakespeare (?) - ties in nicely with one of the old plaques. The two plaques can been seen fixed on the original building within the first floor window arches. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 27
Back