• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Books: various about Birmingham suburbs

derekw

master brummie
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was in a bargain book shop today in New St and noticed they had several books relating to Birmingham suburbs,namely,Harbourne,Edgbaston,Northfield,Hockley and Solihull,there was also a book on Victorian architecture in Birmingham,it goes without saying they were at bargain prices:fat:..I'm not sure if I can name the shop but its by the Odeon.

Jimbo - not a cheapskate, more like resourceful! And how refreshing to hear that your library has a decent collection of local history books. Viv.

Your library is obviously better stocked than ours Jimbo, or that's what I would be doing too!! As Viv says, resourceful not cheapskate.
Sue

Viienne14/sistersue61. If the library hasn't got your book of choice on their shelf, I just ask for it to be reserved. This they do for you at no cost, then email you when it is ready for collection. "Simples"
jimbo

Viienne14/sistersue61. If the library hasn't got your book of choice on their shelf, I just ask for it to be reserved. This they do for you at no cost, then email you when it is ready for collection. "Simples"
jimbo
I'm not sure this works with reference material and a lot of these books will be in reference rather than for loan. Some libraries will have material that was never published. Local histories written by local people, material that is typed and spiral bound, that sort of thing. I know King's Heath has a really good collection of stuff on shelves.

HI GUYS AND WAM;
On the subject of buying and finding books if you look in thses charity shops you can find great treasues of these books
i would like to say yesterday i was in bromscrove ; and i walked into a shop of charity at the right time
because just shortly before i went into the shop a person brought some cracking books for charity on birmingham;
and the lady said these have just come in and i have just put them straigt out as i picked up four of the books that was on a display
around the shop ;te lady said they are lovel books arn,t they i said yes ;as i started to flick through them ; shesaid i have a great hard back book i have just put in the window she said would you like to se it ; i think she knew i was going to buy them i said wow ; yes please and she got it for me ;
one or two of the others i was going to order from chinnys before now but never got around it ; so i decided to buy the whole lot of them togeher along with the hard back
I; BIRMINGHAM ON POST CARDS BY JOHN MARKS ;
2;BIRMINGHAM THE WAR YEARS A FIFTY ANNIVSARY COMMONATION
3; HARD BACK;IMAGES OF BIRMINGHAM [ BIRMINGHAM POST AND MAIL]
4; BIRMINGHAM AT WAR [ VOL]2 ALTON DOUGLAS AND [ VOL ] 1
They are all in mint condition not a crease or soil so youcan gethese from a book shop in bromsgrove town centre
i am still trying to find a book for mandy beleive it or not i just cannot get the title in my head as to what it was called it had her grand father and her grandmother fetching him out of the widdows arms on lichfield rd ;before the war years ; i used to see them regular after the war years regular my mate colin and myself used to laugh at them when she came down the rentry to get him out of the pub more or less falling over as he had one two many ;
still i am sure i will track it down; some one some where there is that book laying on a shelf ;
this shop also as reference books on the shelf ;by the way and also i got these these books for ten pounds the lot ;best wishes astonian;

There are various places you can get cheap history/reference/picture books. Most of them are charity shops. It's also worth looking in public libraries as they often dump old stock. The central library has been particularly good recently because they've dumped a lot of stuff that was in the reference stacks. This probably won't last as they plan on shutting down soon. The trouble with any of this is that the chances of finding any particular book are pretty remote.

I'll take a look at those to add to my collection, thanks.
I think the name of the shop is "The Works".

The Works deals mostly in remaindered books and arts supplies. I know they have carried recent lines of the local history picture books but I'm not sure if or how much they discount them. You'd probably find the same selection in WHSmith's or large branches of Tesco's.
If you can read electronic books it's also worth looking at https://www.gutenberg.org these won't be picture books but you can find titles like Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham, Personal Recollections of Birmingham and Birmingham Men, A Description of Modern Birmingham (1818), An History of Birmingham (1783), and A Tale of One City: the New Birmingham.

Back