• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham streets named after people

I always thought that "Icknield way, or Street" was the oldest known human highway in Britain dating from Neolithic times, starting just south of "Chinnor, Oxon", and ending just south of Thetford. It then joins the Pedders Way, to the east coast. In Henry of Huntingdon's "Historia Anglorum", He mentions the 4 main roads of Britain, Ermine Street, Fosse Way, Watling Street, Icknield Street. These were supposed to be 'Roman Roads', but in reality they probably dated from either, Bronze or Iron age times and were just improved and used by the Roman Military/Commerce, during there occupation.
paul

I don't know where Icknield was but it was a Roman Road and stretches through to Alvechurch if I recall correctly but by then it is a single track road. Just discovered I am incorrect and Icknield Street of which there are a few pre-date Roman times.

I now live in Cambridge, but when I first came to live here, the village I lived in had a road running at the back of the cottage called 'The Icknield Way', which ran from Royston in Herts, This was also single track. I thought all these 'Icknield's' were an original Roman road, that ran almost the length of Britain. So is this not true Bernie?

Not from what I read Maggs and as Big G and Paul Stacey say. When I think about it the one through Birmingham that passes to the south around the Weatheroak Hill area does not conform to what we usually understand them. It is narrow and meanders more than I would expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that there is an Icknield Way in East Anglia or more or less, and an Icknield (or Ryknield) Street that runs approx. south to north up the centre of country, and this is the one that runs through Sutton Park. Confusing, or what?

Big Gee

Last edited by a moderator:
WE have a small lane around here called 'The Dole'. I wonder, does the dole have another meaning other than the obvious one? I did know a builder who built an estate, and he had to put forward his suggestion for the name of the main road in, and then wait for approval and acceptance. Don't know if this is always the case though.

WE have a small lane around here called 'The Dole'. I wonder, does the dole have another meaning other than the obvious one? I did know a builder who built an estate, and he had to put forward his suggestion for the name of the main road in, and then wait for approval and acceptance. Don't know if this is always the case though.
Bernie says it can be Maggs. In West Malvern there is a narrow lane called The Quabbs. And Peatling Parva in Leicestershire, makes me smile. We have Blind Lane in Berkswell which might belong to you and Featherbed Lane.

Same as Bell End??
There is Belvoir Bank in Malvern, I am told it is pronounced beaver, Windy Arbour in Kenilworth. I had a pint in the Cock Tavern in Howthe, Co. Dublin, and read about Titty Bottle Park in Kathleen Dayus's Her People, set in Brum. Dad used to talk about a Mashin Street but I can't find it now or how to spell it, in Cov. He liked Street names too. We have a Catherine Street, he and granny pronounced it Cath er ryne Street. Ever heard Catherine pronounced like that? I have heard of Maria called Ma Ryah. Also a village called Cathiron. Pronounced Cath eye ron.

Hi,
Does anyone know if Carl Chinn has written a book on Birmingham Street Names?

Regards

Steve

hi steve
mike as beaten me to it yes its corect i have a couple of them volumes some where in my cubbards they are full of names and streets some have the family names
as well they are brillient the street names are endless i will try to remember to get them out and give you the insight of the volumes and and od course
the address if you cannot get them from amazon as you some tme cannot get what you want from them best wishes astonian;;;

hi guys
Here is afew lost. Streets and renamed streets of brum
Present street bevington road Aston. Former named. upper Sutton street, ,part of changed. 1878;
Broughton. Road. Handsworth. hall. Road. Changed 1901;
belchers lane. Stechford. mill Lane. Changed 1897 ,,
lost streets. coach yard. (1884)
cotton row. Off fazely street. (1884 )
Cotton street off fazely street. (1884 l
engine street off new canal street. ( 1886 l
forge street off mill street Aston road. ( 1886 l

Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

...I don,t think Bevington Road and Upper Sutton Street were ever the same road...I had friends who lived in each of them...they were two separate roads before the demolitions began.

Yes shawcross
That's when the changed happen end it became to parts seperate on the date it stated but prior to that it was all bevington red
I also have in written confrontation in the books l also walked up and down bevington tprd as I was growing up started and born Lichfield red moved to upper Thomas street and along to the old six ways Aston at number 47 and I had friends in upper Sutton street
They was the Nottingham family. Fred was his name he was well known as well
Have a good day best wishes astonian,,,,,

Thanks for that, Astonian. In the 1960s/70s I had a lot to do with Aston Park Rangers Football Club for whom Charlie Tabberner and his friendly family were leading lights. I'm pretty sure that Charlie lived in Bevington Road. Also at that time a close friend and colleague, Barry James, lived in Upper Sutton Street. I used to park my car in Bevington Road when I went to Villa Park. Little Asian or West Indian lads would 'look after your car for you' for a small consideration. The last time this happened the car was parked directly outside a corner shop. When I got back the 'minder' had disappeared, a window of the car had been smashed and the radio had been stolen. No one had seen it happen apparently. And to think I gave the little lad two bob to look after it...!!!!

HI SHAWCROSS
Way back in the fortys we used to that in fact alot of kids from church lane aston and the surrounding streets towards the villa
would congregate out side my mates house on aston church rd and we would all try and out reach each other to the owners of there cars and shout look
After your car mate for a tanner alot of kids whom got the responible for the job used to scamper off anf cold back after the match and swear holy blind the
was there ll the time some got there tanners but some never got there tanner least in those days there was never any damage to any bodys cars
but sixties and seventys are a new breed of kids today from our generation
i can recall horris the parkie he was the ex gaoler at digbeth station he was there for years best wishes astonian;

HI SHAWCROSS
Further to my previous thread of mentioning church lane Aston;there was a road called gladstone road which was opersite my friends house
On church rd facing Gladstone street aston ;
Birmingham had Gladstone street ; gladstone road erdinton; Spark brook ,and yardley
And they are named after william ewart Gladstone, whom served as a chancellor of the excheqer under Aberdeen and went on to become
A Famous liberal prime minister, forming four goverments
Beteen 1868 and 1894 , hhhis ministries brought in the education Act of 1870 and unsuccessfully sought to bring about home rule for ireland
One of Gladstones foreign secretarys was archibald philip primrose
The fifth earl the 5 th earl of roseberry , for a briefe time 1895 -5, he succeded Gladstone as prime minister but led the librals to a defeat ;;
In the general election.
Noted for his race horses and his Biogrophe of british statemen , he is brought to mind in roseberrry street for the maming of the street in b rookfields hockley

Back