• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Steam Buses 1824-1910.

Just seen the Guy 'Transport through the Szygies' ad (always thought that was a mountain range in Hungary) and recognised the first pic bottom left as a localo one. I first saw it on the back cover (I think) of a 'Modern Transport', on which I spent my pocket money in about 1945. The photo by then would have been about two years old, and it was of a Guy Arab II Birmingham Corporation bus with Weymann body at the old Hawthorn Road terminus of the 28 route, but I don't think the background was so dreadfully airbrushed on that occasion. I lived only 500 yards away from that location, so I was quite excited to see the picture. I forget what my mum said when she saw that I'd spent two shillings on a magazine I didn't understand.
Peter

Well spotted, Peter! It's always good to hear from you. Thanks for the "local notes" on the Guy ad. I don't suppose you're able to upload a better version of the Birmingham Guy?

Way back in posts #649 and #653, Motorman showed us two pictures sourced from Charles Stuart Dunbar's Buses, Trolleys and Trams (London: Hamlyn, 1967). One of the pictures (post #653) was so striking that we wondered about its provenance, Punch being mentioned as a possibility. It turns out that the two pictures come from the Illustrated London News (18 June 1898), where they accompany an article entitled "Motors in London". The article is very long, so I won't post it here, but it is an enthusiastic account of the prospects of the motor bus, with steam and petrol getting equal billing as future sources of power. Despite the captions to the pictures, there is no mention in the article of either the De Dion - Bouton Co or the British Motor Co (or Self Acting Steam Omnibus Co). I'm attaching the pictures again here for completeness, and to save digging back into the thread. I have been unable to find any other information about the British Motor Co's "Self Acting Steam Omnibus" of 1898. Can anyone discover anything further? Or for that matter about the artist of the second picture, G N Martin, who, though well represented through his illustrations, is something of a mystery man.

Last edited:
Brumm Model Steamers Part 1.

The company Brumm snc (Como, North Italy) makes the "oldfire" series of diecast models, which contains many familiar BSB steamers, as well as one or two that are not so familiar.

Here are the first four (in date order):
X02 Carro di Newton (1680).
X06 Veicolo a turbina di Verbiest (1681).
X01 Carro di Cugnot (1769).
X08 Anfibio di Evans (1801).​

Brumm Model Steamers Part 2.

Here are the other four Brumm "oldfire" models:
X04 Carro di Trevithick (1803).
X03 Dilignenza di Gurney (1825).
X07 Vettura di Pecquer (1828).
X05 Carro di Bordino (1854).​

Sadly the Brumm model of Trevethick's London Carriage perpetuates an error seen in one of the drawings of it shown here earlier - that the carriage had side doors. How were they supposed to open? The real thing - and its replica - have one door, at the front of the body. Seating is arranges around the other three sides, and the driver's seat forms part of the steps used to board and alight.

Mike, thanks for that reference to the illustrator G N Martin. Can we discover anything else about him (his full name at least)?

Lloyd, thanks for that great picture of Brogden's replica of the "Trevithick". Yes, some of the Brumm models are unfaithful to the originals (we have already seen this with the "Verbiest"). They should have read through the BSB thread before they started! ;)

Well, the old BSB Classroom is a bit of a ghost town these days! :rolleyes: Here are two early pictures of Goldsworthy Gurney's steam carriage, from Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle (Sunday 9 December 1827). We don't often see a rear view of a first generation steam bus. ;)

That's a very good question: there is no room for him at the back. I suspect the stoker's up in third class chatting up the lady passengers! ;) There is a long article that "names all the parts" (that's what the numbers are for), but I didn't save it. I'll have another look tomorrow.

[Back in post #646 we saw a John Doyle cartoon of 18 January 1835, in which the major political parties of the day were depicted as public transport vehicles. The Tories were represented as a "safe" horse-drawn bus, but the Whigs / Radicals were shown as a "dangerous" steam carriage. I have found an article from seven years earlier in which steam carriage imagery is extensively employed for the purpose of political satire and commentary. The Age was a London weekly, Tory in politics, which was published in the period 15 May 1825 – 12 September 1846. The article is quite long, so I am posting it in two installments. After the second part, I will include a tentative dramatis personæ, identifying the politicians directly mentioned or alluded to. Though much of the article is obscure to the modern reader, it does illustrate how quickly steam carriage technology entered the popular imagination. Text originally in small capitals is transcribed in bold.]

The Age (27 January 1828) page 27. Second Trial of the Lansdowne Steam Carriage (Part One).
It will be in the recollection of that class of our readers who have given their attention to mechanical subjects; that somewhere about the middle of 1806, in consequence of the death of a celebrated artist of that day, William Pitt, in whom the exclusive steam patent of the country was then vested, a fresh privilege was obtained by one Henry Petty, to run a steam carriage through Whitehall, and the purlieus of Westminster-hall. At that period steam had not been applied to the purposes contemplated by Petty, and consequently his plans were considered as a novelty, if not an innovation. This carriage was named by the proprietor, the "Lansdowne Steam Carriage"; while many people in ridicule, called it the "New Tax Cart "; others called it the "Go-Cart" — while many said it was "no-go Cart". The ignorance of the people of that day was so great, and they were so wedded to old habits and fashions, that they almost universally set their faces against the transference of any branch of William Pitt's patent, to a person so little known as Petty, and the more particularly as he attempted to apply the powers placed in his hands to alter established customs, and to introduce a jogging, crazy, and odious tax-cart in place of the easy vehicle which they had formerly used. They cried out against the new conveyance, which threatened, from the complication of its machinery, to destroy all the passengers, but it was agreed on all hands to give it, at all events, a fair trial.

Accordingly Petty was permitted to try his invention, and after some difficulties in the stable yard in getting the cumbrous machine out, it was at last brought into Whitehall, exactly opposite the old Treasury Chambers. It was contrasted at once with the old simple conveyances, and even the most experienced job-proprietors confessed they could make nothing of it: it had four wheels like other carriages, but then there were so many chains and drags placed in a confused manner under the driver's seat, that at the first sight, it was predicted that it would meet great resistance on the road. The principle on which it was propelled, was certainly a principle of resistance, for, contrary to the accepted mode of impelling vehicles, instead of moving forward in obedience to the usual laws of motion, it was pushed on by the agency of certain claws or bills, that striking against the ground on which it was supported were forced back again by resistance, and thus gave an accelerated speed to the carriage in the opposite direction. At the back of the body was placed the cylinder of the steam engine, by which Petty was always kept in hot-water, and from certain tubes that communicated with the working machinery, the carriage and the driver were constantly obscured in smoke. There were also a great many back-sliding blocks connected with the main pivot, and from these again, a variety of petty supporters, that running here and there, made up a show of power, but did not really contribute to the safety of the undertaking. Independent of these were some levers that acted apparently on a reciprocal principle, moving backward and forward alternately, and keeping their places with evident hazard to the whole body: they were suspended afterwards in the performance of their offices, from having become hacked by the opposition. Various devices were curved on piston-rods and blocks — such as a Fox's head, the Grenville-arms, a grey mare, a hare-skin, &c; and it was ornamented with ribbons, and stars, and titles, borrowed from different books of heraldry.

When Petty took his seat near the guiding-pin, there appeared a great awkwardness in the want of proper reins; and the unpractised way in which he seized the chequers that were connected with the handle, led to an apprehension that he would destroy the whole economy of the system by some improper movement. Great crowds were collected to see the first start of the new carriage, and a most powerful opposition was raised by the friends of William Pitt, who were indignant at the assumption of this new charioteer. First of all issued a dense smoke from the vents behind, and the driver and his friends inside, were completely hidden in the mists and vapours: a rumbling noise, and a hissing followed: and with a violent shock, the carriage set off. Its motion was zig-zag and irregular, and it rocked and vibrated at every stone it struck against. It had not gone far when it was discovered that it would not do, in consequence of wanting a safety valve; but Petty would not consent to give up his seat until a concussion took place amongst the minor springs, which, communicating with other parts of the machinery, completely burned out the bar that was engraved with the Fox's head, which was linked to the Grenville head-pin, and this caused such a dreadful shock to the whole machinery, that Petty was thrown out of his place, and nearly fractured his skull.​

Last edited:
The Age (27 January 1828) page 27. Second Trial of the Lansdowne Steam Carriage (Part Two).
The experiment having so signally failed, the steam-carriage was declared unfit for use, and thrown aside; and it has lain by, like a piece of old lumber, ever since — a period of one-and-twenty years — until, in the rage for variety, and the march of intellect, Petty again lately brought it forward in the Royal Park at Windsor. Many people had forgotten the circumstance of its failure in 1806, and others, who remembered the folly of that affair, tolerated the second trial, in a hope that experience had led to some improvements in the plan of this machine. Having wriggled very awkwardly getting on the Royal ground, several eminent engineers, amongst whom we perceived Peel and Wellesley, accurately examined all the appointments of the carriage, and discovered that they were even of a worse and more feeble description than those of 1806, and that if the former experiment failed, the present one would altogether go to pieces. It was evidently a most dangerous novelty, and many people were surprised that his Majesty should permit such an hazardous trial to take place so near his Royal person. But the known benignity of the Sovereign, which affords to every artist a fair opportunity to exert his skill, was extended to Petty, in the hope that he would use the permission so granted to him with due discretion.

No sooner did Petty get into the driving seat, than he grew restive and fearful, and even attempted to abandon the project; but his Majesty would not permit such a trifling with his condescension, and after many ineffectual struggles, Petty was compelled to go on. A fellow who was employed to oversee the machinery, and direct the wards and the springs (some of which were made from the rice tree), of the name of Robinson, just as the carriage was about to start, threw away the harness, and swore he would have nothing to do with it; and an old fellow, one Tierney, who had brought the links and curb-chains fresh from the Mint, insidiously endeavoured to dose the driver and passenger with Hollands, while a wag placed a block of Portland stone amongst the machinery, and stuck up a broom behind, as if the carriage was to be set up for sale. It was palpable that the machine could not run; however, as the ground was soft, it was expected there would be little opposition to the action of the rollers, and the carriage slowly dragged its way through a heavy corn-field that lay close to the Park. It had proceeded a very short distance, when the steam-boiler blew up, and a dreadful explosion took place. Robinson was flung into a ditch — poor old Tierney was thrown on his face in a pond of water — Petty was thrown up into the air, and in falling, was picked up by a Police-officer — and the broom was literally set in a blaze by the bursting of the valve. So many accidents occurred amongst all the passengers who placed faith in the Lansdowne carriage, that serious charges, it is expected, will be brought against the driver. However, one thing is certain, that its inefficiency is so clearly proved, that it will never be permitted to run on the King's High Road again.​
Dramatis Personæ:
William Pitt the Younger (1759–1806). Independent Whig (so self-styled, but often referred to as "Tory" or "new Tory").
Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice Third Marquess of Lansdowne (1780–1863). Whig.
Charles James Fox (1749-1806). Whig.
William Grenville First Baron Grenville (1759–1834). Whig.
Charles Grey Second Earl Grey (1764–1845). Whig.
William Hare First Earl of Listowel (1751–1837). Whig [?].
Sir Robert Peel Second Baronet (1788–1850). Tory / Conservative.
Arthur Wellesley First Duke of Wellington (1769–1852). Tory.
King George IV (1762–1830). Reigned 1820–1830.
Frederick John Robinson First Viscount Goderich (1782–1859). Tory.
George Tierney (1761–1830). Whig.

Last edited:
Nice find Mike.

Baptiste Henri Jacques Giffard was born in Paris (8 February 1825 – 14 April 1882) and was a French engineer. In 1852 he invented the steam injector and the powered airship with a steam engine weighing over 180 kg (400 lb); it was the world's first passenger-carrying airship (known as a Dirigible). Both practical and steerable, the hydrogen-filled airship was equipped with a 3 hp steam engine that drove a propeller. The engine was fitted with a downward pointing funnel. The exhaust steam was mixed in with the combustion gases and it was hoped by these means to stop sparks rising up to the gas bag; he also installed a vertical rudder.

On 24 September 1852 (158 years ago today) Giffard made the first powered and controlled flight travelling 27 km from Paris to Trappes. The wind was too strong to allow him to make way against it, so he was unable to return to the start. However he was able to make turns and circles, proving that a powered airship could be steered and controlled.

Giffard was granted a patent for the injector on 8 May 1858. Unusually, he had thoroughly worked out the theory of this invention before making any experimental instrument, having explained the idea in 1850. Others had worked on using jets, particularly Bourdon who patented a very similar device in 1857. In 1863 he was appointed a Chevalier of the Légion d'honneur. In response to his declining eyesight, Giffard committed suicide in 1882, leaving his estate to the nation for humanitarian and scientific purposes. His name is one of the 72 names on the Eiffel tower. <Wikipedia>

I love a whiff of vapeur in the morning!

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike and Aidan. Very interesting: a prototype steam airbus, which might well have flown to or over Birmingham! ;)

Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802) of Lichfield was a founding member of the Lunar Society of Birmingham and grandfather of Charles Darwin (1809-1882) and Francis Galton (1822-1911). He was the author of The Botanic Garden. A Poem in Two Parts. Part I. Containing The Economy of Vegetation. Part II. The Loves of the Plants. With Philosophical Notes. (London: J Johnson, 1791; first American edition New York: by T & J Swords, 1798). This book contains the following often-quoted lines, foretelling the application of steam to transport by water, road and air ("Economy of Vegetation", Canto I, lines 289-296):
Soon shall thy arm, Unconquer'd Steam! afar
Drag the slow barge, or drive the rapid car;
Or on wide-waving wings expanded bear
The flying-chariot through the fields of air.
— Fair crews triumphant, leaning from above,
Shall wave their fluttering kerchiefs as they move;
Or warrior-bands alarm the gaping crowd,
And armies shrink beneath the shadowy cloud.​
[For aficionados of the long "s", I attach a picture of the text from the 1798 New York edition. And a portrait (courtesy of Wikipedia) of the Lichfield "Lunatick" himself in 1792, by Joseph Wright of Derby (1734-1797).]

What more could one ask for - a Darwinian progression of Birmingham Lunacy, poetry & steam - and I love medial s(es) - well done :222:

Also loved the earlier parody BTW.

...It's interesting how persistent was the "three wheel" theme (à la Church). ...

It is interesting how the design persisted, and I have opened a thread to explore the persistence into the C20th with the Mechanical Horses or 'Pony Mécanique' https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33137

On one hand there is the plus points of enhanced turning-circle, light steering and conceptually enhanced stability (eg 3-legged stool) - on the down side, the middle wheel has to plough its own furrow rather than follow the Holloway tracks and in practice much-decreased stability (as recently exposed by Jeremy Clarkson's attempt to drive a Reliant Robin on a recent BBC Top Gear programme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YRZdfCdlu8 )

Last edited:
Here is another picture , from 1770 , of Erasmus Darwin which looks a bit different, but was probably less true to life, even though it also , apparently, was by joseph Wright of Derby
Mike

Erasmus_Darwin_1770_by_J_Wright_of_DerbyA.jpg

I look forward to your new thread, Aidan. I fear I'm the only bloke in Tasmania who's not a fan of Jeremy Clarkson. Ah well ... :blush:

Nice one, Mike. Joseph Wright was a very good artist, wasn't he? That portrait is 22 years earlier than the previous one, so you would expect it to be somewhat different. And then there are the wigs! In the pre-daguerrotype age, "likeness" was a bit elusive. ;)

Melksham Luddites Attack Gurney's Steam Carriage 1829.

Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle (Sunday 2 August 1829).

The Bath Chronicle of Thursday [30 July 1829], after announcing that Mr Gurney's steam-coach was on its road to Bath, the York-house day coach having passed it at Hungerford, says in a stop-press —
We have just heard that Mr Gurney's coach arrived at Melksham yesterday evening at eight o'clock, and was coming through the town at a steady pace, when a great mob collected round the carriage, it being fair day, and commenced an attack on Mr G and his friends. They at first attempted to stop and injure the carriage, and after following it for a mile commenced throwing stones at them, by which two of the engineers were seriously injured. The gentlemen were obliged to get out of the carriage to resist the mob, and the engineers being disabled, it was thought advisable to seek shelter, and the carriage was taken into Mr Iles's yard for security. The Magistrates were promptly on the spot, and the yard was guarded by constables. Mr Gurney and his friends were severely wounded. This disgraceful and unheard of attack originated, we understand, in the dislike to machinery, so strongly felt in that manufacturing district.​
John Bull (Monday 3 August 1929).

Mr Gurney's steam-coach, on its journey along the western road, was pelted and almost knocked to pieces by the populace. It is the same part of the country in which Mr Green's balloon was cut to pieces by the mob, and his life threatened, because the hose of his gas-pipe happened to leak; this is somewhere about Devizes — a district not over civilized we believe.

Last edited:
. Yes, some of the Brumm models are unfaithful to the originals (we have already seen this with the "Verbiest")

Back from France and totally forgotten how to navigate these threads. Hope I have this right as I need to know where you have found the ORIGINAL design for Verbiest's carriage?

Welcome back, Keith: good to hear from you again. We haven't found the original design of Verbiest's (model) steam carriage. See post #538 (just click on the link), where I presented an 18th century picture (source unknown), and mentioned Verbiest's Astronomia Europaea (1687) and your remarks concerning this book and the steam carriage. Later you promised to post a picture of the relevant pages from this work: we're still looking forward to that (with bated breath in my case!).

Navigating this huge thread is quite difficult. One day I will put an index together, bit it's a big job. In the mean time, at the top of every page there's a "Search Thread" button, which provides a search window. Entering an expression in the window (multi-word expressions can be entered between quotation marks) results in a list of posts in which the expression occurs.

Things have been a bit quiet on the thread lately (I think we're all "steamed out"). Any contributions you care to make will be very welcome. :)

With all your expertise in ferreting out information online from all these scanned books I thought you might have discovered something definitive about Verbiest's design. Noel Golvers in his book on "Verbiest's Astronomia Europaea, Text, Translation, Notes and Commentary". (Nettetal, 1993) gives a drawing of a reconstruction very similar to your first image and attributes it to J.D. Scheel, author of "Peking Precursor. A Monograph" Green Valley, Ont. 1984. Although the Brumm idea is perhaps in some respects a little too sophisticated, I don't think it should be entirely dismissed. The answer, which we shall probably never know, is probably an amalgam of elements of each of them. Anyway here come scans of the relevant "Chapter 24" of AE together with Golvers translation to save any problem you may have with the latin. By the way, I am really disheartened by the ease with which you all find original texts on the internet. Here I have spent the last 50 years putting together a unique collection, and now its all available on the net for nothing.

moz-screenshot.png
View attachment 58344View attachment 58343

Thanks for posting those pages from Astronomia Europaea (which is not available on the internet as far as I can tell), and the Golvers translation (definitely necessary for me as my Latin is strictly fourth form and that was a long time ago). Golvers's work is of course not available on the internet as it is still in copyright.

In a way, Keith, the explosion of scanned texts on to the internet is something like the coming of the printing press to Europe in the 15th century: more and more important texts are now being made available to those who could not afford to buy the originals. This must be a good thing from the point of view of research, but I can understand your chagrin as the owner of such a valuable collection of originals, accumulated with such care and discernment. But as Aidan once said, on line availability of texts will stimulate in some viewers the desire to own the original books.

Besides, there are many old books (including many in your fine collection) that have not been scanned. It seems to be a fairly haphazard process, depending on what's available and the interests of the "scanner".

Anyway, you've confirmed that Verbiest didn't publish a picture of his steam carriage design in AE (as was the case with Isaac Newton). I'll read what you've posted with great interest. :)

Verbiest's description of his steam carriage model is quite detailed and precise. It's good to read his original words (in translation at least), as his carriage is everywhere mentioned as the "world's first automobile" (quite truthfully it seems). I think we can take the pictures we've seen (and the Brumm model) as reasonably faithful representations of Verbiest's design. It is interesting that he also applied the "aeolipyle" concept to water transport, and to a musical instrument (the first calliope!).

Thanks again, Keith!

[We came across Irish steam pioneer Sir James Caleb Anderson (JCA; 1792-1861) as sometime partner and financier of Birmingham's own steam man William Henry James (WHJ: see post #34 et al). WHJ has been fairly well covered in the BSB classroom, but I thought a few more snippets on JCA wouldn't go amiss. A picture of JCA and of his steam drag of 1838-1841 would be very welcome.]

The Standard (London, England) Wednesday 28 October 1829.
STEAM-CARRIAGE ENGINES.
We feel ourselves obliged to notice a controversy lately enlarged upon in the Court Journal. We allude to the steam-carriage engines. Mr Gurney, the spirited and intelligent proprietor of one of these machines (for such they must be called), appears before us "rather sore" on a notification that "the Irish government had it in contemplation to make Sir James Anderson's steam-carriage the mode of conveyance for his Majesty's mails in that part of the United Kingdom". Mr Gurney's friends seem to have fallen into error on this subject, by concluding that any thing had been actually done or completed.

We have not the pleasure to be personally acquainted with Sir J Anderson, the owner of Buttevant Castle, in the county of Cork, but from friends upon whom we can rely, we learn that he is a highly accomplished, educated, and talented gentleman. We hear, moreover, that his patent (or, at all events, that of his partner Mr James) was granted at least a year before that of Mr Gurney; but, putting this matter out of consideration altogether, we do say most distinctly that the claims of the honourable baronet on the Irish government are very strong from this fact, that his father, Mr [John] Anderson, of Fermoy, was the first man who, at his own expense, and at an immense sacrifice of property, established the mail-coach system in Ireland. In point of other details we learn that Sir James Anderson and Mr James intend to make no public exhibitions of their extraordinary improvements in steam carriage building until they can produce to the public a perfect and unique affair, which must defy competition, and, at the same time, confirm that honest old English precept, "Live and let live". — Morning Journal.​
Royal Cornwall Gazette, Falmouth Packet and Plymouth Journal (Truro, England) Saturday 5 December 1829.
IRELAND.
... Sir James Anderson's new steam coach will start between Limerick and Dublin early in the ensuing year, conveying both mails and passengers, and travelling at the rate of 12 miles an hour. ... — Limerick Chronicle.​
The Town 1 September 1838.
Sir James Anderson, who resides at Buttevant Castle, has devoted the whole of his life to scientific pursuits; his extraordinary talents have been mainly directed to the construction of a Steam Drag or Carriage for Common roads. Sir James has expended no less a sum than £30,000 in his experiments, and so extraordinary has been his perseverance that he spent a fortune in building twenty-nine unsuccessful Carriages, to succeed in the thirtieth. Hear this, ye who boast of sacrifices and perseverance! The "Drag", or steam engine, is not like those hitherto attempted; it is a machine to do the work now done by horses. The vehicle, by which the passengers are conveyed, is to be attached to it, and this in the remote cases of accident no injury can arise to the passengers. The Drag can be at once detached, and the carriage forwarded by horses. No noise is heard, no smoke, no unpleasant odour perceived, and the gallant panting steed can gallop to his journey's end untired and untiring. How admirable is this arrangement! Let us look a little forward and we shall see Bishop Berkeley's prophecy realised. "Sir", said he, "mark me, ere long we shall see a pan of coals brought to use in place of a feed of oats". And who can doubt it will be so? It appears the cost of fuel for a "drag" to convey thirty passengers and luggage will not be above fourpence per mile, and that the average speed will be about fifteen miles per hour.​
Reverend C B Gibson. The History of the County and City of Cork. Volume II. London: Thomas C Newby, 1861.
Sir James Anderson, the son of John Anderson, of Fermoy, built a castle and flour-mills here [Buttevant], and lost both. Here he commenced his experiments and extraordinary labours for the construction of a steam-carriage for common roads, upon which he spent a fortune and reaped no reward, except the satisfaction of having laboured for a noble object. I have often heard him say, "Others will reap the rewards of my labours when I am dead and gone". He is now gone, and a purer patriot, a sincerer friend, or a more accomplished gentleman never breathed.​
[Attached below is a picture of JCA's 1838 steam-carriage boiler (Mechanics' Magazine).]

Last edited:
Back